Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2007, 05:21 PM   #26
fio1022
Registered Member

Are those 1" or 3/4" drains?
Either way.that going to have some serious flow!!!

Current Tank Info: 240g,64g acrylic sump/fuge.
fio1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2007, 06:08 PM   #27
shyland83
Registered Member

1" drains, I tend to over do everything but i wanted to make sure it was quiet and i've had a clogges drain turn into a mess before. Plus i want to have control over where the overflow water goes.

Does anyone know where i can get aragamax sand locally for a decent price? If not i'm going to just order it online but i'm anxious to start aquascaping.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef
shyland83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2007, 10:17 PM   #28
Reef Junkie
Premium Member

I really like your overflow design.
Please post more pics as you snap them.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.

Current Tank Info: "Still" Living vicariously through cb747
Reef Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2007, 02:21 AM   #29
onegreenray
Registered Member

i will have about 60-80 lbs of sand ready in a week or so. i am in the final stages of breaking down my tank. the sand was in the tank for about 4 months before the break down. its the carbisea speacial reef floor type of sand.

onegreenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2007, 05:43 AM   #30
shyland83
Registered Member

Ray I might take you up on that, let me know when your ready to get rid of it. thanks

Unread 04/08/2007, 12:05 PM   #31
onegreenray
Registered Member

will do.

onegreenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2007, 01:46 PM   #32
shyland83
Registered Member

Ok newest update. I have it mostly plumbed, i still have to run the drain from the fuge back to the sump, and a few little things. Anyone know where i can buy Loc-Line locally?

I connected 3 of the 4 drain lines together just to keep it simple, the 1" line on the far left will probably feed the skimmer.

A shot of the whole setup(without the doors)

the retun manifold in the canopy, it's 1" pipe, with 6-1"slipx3/4"threaded Tees which will probably get loc line hose on them for adjustment. You can see the 4 caps on the drain vents in the back.

The 2" bulkhead feeding the snapper pump

Unread 04/09/2007, 01:51 PM   #33
shyland83
Registered Member

Oh yeah, if you look on the top right of the canopy i put in an exhaust vent. It's 4" dryer vent hose connected to an inline 4" 80cfm duct fan vented outside. If i go with the Halides i'm sure i'm going to need some fans as well, but i figure it will get a lot of the heat and moisture out.

Unread 04/09/2007, 02:13 PM   #34
bobbbm
Premium Member

Looks Great! Suffolk County Fish and Reef has LOC Line in stock. I bought mine at Modularhose.com and found out later.

bobbbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2007, 12:15 PM   #35
shyland83
Registered Member

I stopped at suffolk fish and reef today, he wanted twice what i can get it for at modular hose. I paid 50 shipped online, he wanted 95 plus tax. I really prefer to support the local guys, but sometimes they make it hard.

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:06 PM   #36
Spracklcat
Disaster Expert

Scott--looks good! Thanks for posting the pics.

Spracklcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2007, 01:37 PM   #37
JB NY
Registered Member

Nice setup. It's looking good Scott!

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2007, 03:11 PM   #38
bobbbm
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shyland83
I stopped at suffolk fish and reef today, he wanted twice what i can get it for at modular hose. I paid 50 shipped online, he wanted 95 plus tax. I really prefer to support the local guys, but sometimes they make it hard.
I agree 100% I like the guys there and I buy most of my fish and some supplies from them but some of the equpment is just cost prohibitive. It is a shame because they are 1 exit on the LIE from me and they know their stuff. One thing I must say tho their fish are always healthy and the tanks are spotless

Not that I am beating someone up but I had another encounter at CC. I was looking at a blenny and I asked how much. Since it was CC I figured $40-60 and was willing to pay it. The guy comes back and says you can have either one for $145... my jaw dropped But hey they have alot of overhead and if people will pay that much for a fish, more power to them. I just cant do it.

Unread 04/12/2007, 07:09 PM   #39
purebullet417
Rimless Reef Club

i love scfr but your right the markup and equip is just to high but im willing to pay the price for fish and coral due to the the health of the fish and the veirty/color/"niceness"(lol) of coral. btw your tank stand looks great gave me some ideas

Current Tank Info: 57 Gallon Rimless
purebullet417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2007, 07:39 PM   #40
shyland83
Registered Member

Yeah I buy livestock there occasionally. It's close, the're usually very helpful, and the fish are healthy. I didn't mean to bash suffolk fish and reef, but their dry goods prices are obscene.

Thanks for the compliments, it's about 3/4 full of water and the salt should be here tommorow. If all goes well i will be aquascaping tommorow after work. I got my ASM G3 and just did the mesh wheel and recirc mods. I got my loc line today, It's all plumbed out and ready to go. I'll get some pics up when it's done.

All i have left to buy is lights. i think i finally decided on halides over T5, i think I'm going to contact tony and order up 2 lumenarc minis. After reading Joe's article i can't decide if i'm going to get the kit from tony with the coralvue ballasts or spend a little extra for the icecaps. The temp difference is appealing.

Unread 04/12/2007, 11:22 PM   #41
Editour2
Frank

Scott, looking good!
Frank

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2007, 06:39 AM   #42
shyland83
Registered Member

I got sand and rock in the tank last night. There is now a 1 inch layer of foam on the surface in the sump, and i can't run the skimmer because even with the tube all the way down it fills up in about 30 seconds. I'm assuming it's because of the dust from the sand. My filter sock clogged up pretty quick and starting oveflowing foam out of the top of it. I'm gonna let it run for a day and see if everything works itself out.

Unread 04/22/2007, 02:48 PM   #43
shyland83
Registered Member

Ok, I'm not done aquascaping yet, and i need to finish making and then paint all the doors. I have tons of micro bubbles, I'm going to *** some baffles in the sump tommorow should clear it up. And the water is a little yellow, but it's clearing up. Just waiting for it cycle.

I have to clean up the wires a little but it's not too bad.

Unread 04/22/2007, 02:52 PM   #44
Reef Junkie
Premium Member

Excellent!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.

Current Tank Info: "Still" Living vicariously through cb747
Reef Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 05:13 PM   #45
DEXTER SOLIS
Registered Member

WOW! this set up shows alot of detailed planning.

DEXTER SOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 06:25 PM   #46
bobbbm
Premium Member

NICE! I really like how planned out it is!

Unread 04/23/2007, 07:03 AM   #47
eboonaman
Moved On

Scott Super Job!! Where did You get the timer for the lights from?

I also get The Luminex Minis for my 120, love them! I'm useing Reeflux 10 k .Are you going to supplement them with Actinic? I like to but I don't know where I can mount them since the mimi's take up so much room..
chuck

eboonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2007, 07:23 AM   #48
shyland83
Registered Member

I'm using XM 10K's on icecap ballasts, and i got the minis from tony. The light rack i built has a place front and back to mount my 2-36" T5's for actinic, hard to see in the pic but i'll be adding them within a week. I def want actinic i dont like how yellow the 10ks are. I'm going to go with one true actinic and one blue plus, i'm going to order them from les today.

The timer is a coralife, got it from either aquacave or thatpetplace, first timer controls 3 outlets, second timer controls 4 outlets but when 2 are on the other 2 are off and vise versa. so 3 for daylight, 2 for actinic, 2 for moonlight. This means the moonlights are on all night long which i don't think i like so i might use a seperate timer for them. It was about 30 bucks, had it on my old tank.

I'll get a pic once i add the actinics, i'll try to remember to get a pic of the light rack out of the tank so you can see it better.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, I've been planning it for over a year in my head, and i couldn't have done it without all your help and ideas. I stole a little from lonnies tank, a little from erics, a little from liannas, as you can see from my overflow a little from anthony. Just think, we are that much closer to me not posting an annoying question ever 2 days. thanks again.

Unread 04/23/2007, 07:47 AM   #49
bobbbm
Premium Member

LOL now it has been my job to post an annoying question every 2 days

You can also get that timer from Cindy at jcaquatics I use one and really like it.

Unread 04/26/2007, 10:06 PM   #50
steelerguy
Registered Member

This looks great! You got it all put together pretty quickly also. I had an old stand and tank I bought years ago and never set up. Finally decided to at the end of January and it was not until last week that I actually put water in it for a leak test. (Granted, I did refinish the stand and build the sump...but still!) Of course I changed my mind on pumps and decided to bit the bullet and add a chiller, which means another pump and more plumbing...sigh.

At least the new pumps and chiller should arrive tomorrow and I can start on it this weekend.

Anyway, just wanted to say that you have a very impressive setup there.

PS - Forgot to mention that I went into Suffolk Reef and Fish for the first time in March. Wanted to start looking for some good live rock and they wanted $11.99 a pound and it looked lifeless. Of course if I bought 50 lbs. it would have only been $9.99...it took all I had to not laugh. I did check out all their fish and they didn't seem to be too badly priced and did look healthy and nice.

steelerguy is offline   Reply With Quote