Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Fish Care Archive
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2000, 11:12 PM   #26
Flamin`Angel
10 & Over Club

Try using a ordenary fish-trap,place it up against the side of the tank with the bottom facing out to the side and then put a small mirror behind it.Worked for me when I had a identical tang-disaster
Happy Hunting
Michael

Unread 08/21/2000, 03:52 AM   #27
Planoi
Premium Member

quote:
Originally posted by Flamin`Angel:
Try using a ordenary fish-trap

I'm not familiar with a fish trap, how does it work?

Unread 08/21/2000, 04:15 AM   #28
Flamin`Angel
10 & Over Club

Hey again,
it is cylendrical transparent shape,sealed in one end.The other end there is a trap door with a fishline attached.Normally I think the idea was to put food in the trap,but those shrimps allways get it first.If ya got any that is.But put a mirror outside the tank with the trap bottom against the side.All you have to do is get a beer from the fridge,a then sit your a$$ down and wait.Before or you trap him,I know I did.
Good Luck.

BTW my girlfriend is in Chiangmai at the moment,she sayz its great beeing in Thailland again!!!

If you still donno what the heck i`m babbleling about,let me know and i`ll mail you a trap-pic

Happy Hunting Planoi

Best Regards
Michael

Unread 08/21/2000, 09:33 AM   #29
Planoi
Premium Member

Thanks Flamin`Angel

I now know what you mean, but I would like to see a picture, if you have one.

TIA

Unread 08/21/2000, 01:44 PM   #30
Goby1Knoby
Registered Member

Hi All

Mmmmmmmm intersting comments.

I have both a yellow and purple tang the purple was added last, he was a juvenile when added and after an initial 2/3 stressfull days he was acepted.

I attribute this ( reasnobly ) peacefull co-habitation to 1.The order of introduction, 2.Available swimming space/rockwork retreats and to a lesser extent 3.The fact that there are only 6 other small fish in the tank.
Oh yeah and 4.LUCK.

No i would not recommend it unless you can give them lots of swimming space.
They still have the odd skirmish, flashing their spurs at each other with no resultant injuries.

I have had worse experiences such as a Psycho Coral Beauty savaging a Flame Angel, but thats another story.

To cover another topic mentioned above I would disagree with feeding non aquatic grown foods such as Lettuce and treating disease with garlic.

First off the nutritional values of such foods cannot be correct and probably even worse,the pesticide scenario must be detrimental to the fishes health.

As for Garlic, I think using that you are only alleviating the symptons as opposed to eliminating the root of the problem. I see a lot of posts re: this treatment for whitespot/Ick. When i got both my tangs they developed it, but after a few days it dissapeared. I beleive that it is related to the fish being distressed due to something such as water quality,nutrition, tankmate agression that depletes the immune system to allow this ever present parasite to flourish. So to summarise treat the cause not the symptons.

As the saying goes just my couple of pennies worth

BTW rereading this it seems a bit Flamey, not meant to be in the slightest.

Happy Reefin Folks.

Brian.

PS.Planoi. Was in Bangkok ,Chiang Mai/Rai, Koh Samui two weeks ago. Fantastic country.was sooooo tempted to nick a couple of really small coral frags and bring them home. I resisted ( just about ).

[This message has been edited by Goby1Knoby (edited 08-21-2000).]

Unread 08/21/2000, 03:03 PM   #31
JH4
Registered Member

Goby1Knoby,

What size tank?

Jim

Unread 08/21/2000, 11:26 PM   #32
Goby1Knoby
Registered Member

Hi JH4

Tank size 6 foot.

Nothing major, i just think the extra few inches of swimming space could be very important for a largish type fish such as those of the Tang species.

I do beleive that my tank at six foot is really bordering on being too small for this species of fish, i base that on observing their behaviour after having introduced them.

For a fish such as these that cover such large areas of the reef as opposed to other smaller fish that take up residence in limited reefzone, i think they require more space. I beleive they show signs of this confinement in their periodic eccentric swimming behaviour.

Cheers

Brian.

Cheers

G1K

[This message has been edited by Goby1Knoby (edited 08-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Goby1Knoby (edited 08-22-2000).]

Unread 08/22/2000, 06:36 AM   #33
Fishguyis
Registered Member

I too have been lucky with having a yellow and purple tabg together. One tank that comes to mind in particular is a 110 gallon tank... there are 2 Hippo tangs, a powder blue tang, 2 yellow tangs and a purple tang.

The purple tang was added last, the yellow tangs have been in the tank for around 4 years, and the powder blue has been in there for around a year. There was a little aggression when the purple was 1st added but nothing like what Planoi was describing. I know this might be a very unusual situation, but hey.. who am I to say that these fish can't get along with no probs in a smaller tank!

Anyway just my 0.02 worth and for what its worth I hope it helps!

Have Fun...... Reef Safe......