Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2009, 04:44 PM   #126
David P
Premium Member

Ive tried rebreathers.... I think they are a good tool. They scare the crap out of me and Ill stick with open circuit. However for photography, I think they're the bees knees. No bubbles gets the animals in closer.

Current Tank Info: 120g bare bottom, 250w de in ROIII+, Amp Master closed loop through Oceans Motion, 60g fuge
David P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2009, 05:37 PM   #127
Tech Diver
Registered Member

I agree that some of the best training is through GUE. The only reason I didn't mention it by name is that not everyone recognizes that organization's certification program. As long as it has been brought up, you should take a look at the DIR approach to diving, or at least the Hogarthian configuration. This is the approach that I personally use, but some are reluctant to embrace it because it is very specific on how you equip yourself.

Tech Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2009, 04:24 PM   #128
davocean
Registered Member

I have a pretty good one.
A couple years ago we went out for opening night of lobster season.
When I came up, as soon as I got to the boat, fog came in REALLY heavy, thick, and it came in fast.
I was lucky I got to the boat first, but many other divers didn't.
The fact it was opening night made it worse, due to the fact it was a total zoo of boats/divers.
Coast gaurd came on the radio, and said ALL boats w/out sonar were to drop anchor and stay put till it lifted.
Many divers, not able to find their boat spent the night on boats owned by new good friends!
That was a long cold night for me in an open boat in a wet wetsuit!
To make matters worse, we weren't far out of harbor, and not far from shipping lanes.
No one admitted fear, but when we heard the loud engines of big ships, well, we were all awefully quiet!
Especially knowing the current was pulling that direction, and we were anchored in sand.
I now make sure to keep a sealed bag w/ dry warm clothes, and 2 whistles attached to my gear(one whistle w/ a back up compass).
It made me think about how most of my night bug dives were from shore, and what if that happened then?
So I also check compass readings b4 dives(I also learned this year that thanks to getting older and needing reading glasses, I can't see the numbers well, so I have 2 strips of duct tape marking way to shore)
And I don't think I'll do another opening night so close to a zoo of boats/divers and that close to the harbor mouth!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2009, 05:18 PM   #129
Tech Diver
Registered Member

A very important item to always carry with you is a light - even during the day. Remember, if you are washed out to sea, day will eventually turn into night and the easiest way to be found in the dark is with a light. You can even signal SOS by moving your hand over the lens. But don't signal by turning the lamp on and off, because you might eventually break the switch.

By the way, I also need reading glasses so I have a mask with +2 diopter magnifyer ground in. Works like a charm!

Unread 01/25/2009, 05:39 PM   #130
davocean
Registered Member

Most of my dives are at night for lobbys these days, so I have 2 lights, and my main light has 2 bulbs as well on seperate switches.
The reading glasses are very new(and I didn't realize that once you start using them, you're pretty blind w/out them)
I need to figure what I'm going to do.
My vision is fine except small letters/numbers
My concerns are;
A- in 30yrs of diving, I finally got a mask that fits absolutely perfect, comfy, and seals well even w/ a goatee.
B-how expensive is a mask w/ magnifier
C-am I going to lose perception/start chasing shorts!LOL

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 01/25/2009, 06:12 PM   #131
Tech Diver
Registered Member

A - You can keep your mask and have just the glass replaced.
B - If I recall it costs about $120 just for the glass and $170 if you buy a whole mask.
C - They are actually bi-focals so your normal view is unaffected. To use them you look down. I don't even notice that I have them.
D - I don't remember the manufacturer.

Unread 01/25/2009, 07:30 PM   #132
davocean
Registered Member

Very cool, thanks.
That's not too bad, I'll have to look into finding where to have that done around here.

Unread 01/25/2009, 08:36 PM   #133
billsreef
10 & Over Club

A friend of mine uses some stick on magnifying lens from the drugstore. The sort of thing they sell for folks that don't want to give in and go to the eye doc for a proper prescription. They stick on at the bottom of the mask lens so they don't interfere with normal vision, yet allow him to read his gauges.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2009, 09:38 PM   #134
Tech Diver
Registered Member

I actually tried those but was disappointed in their quality. They are made of flexible plastic which made the image too distorted and the lenses kept coming off too easily. They also cost about $50.

Unread 01/26/2009, 12:44 AM   #135
davocean
Registered Member

Maybe stick it on my compass for now anyway.

Unread 03/02/2009, 09:36 PM   #136
Tecdiverfl
Registered Member

I do about a hundread dives a year and it blwos me away some of the stupid things I see people do

Tecdiverfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 05:36 AM   #137
Paul B
Premium Member

Watch what you eat before you dive.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2009, 08:26 PM   #138
moneyman6891
Registered Member

I got certified 4 years ago when I was 13. My was one of the divers that retreived the boosters off of the Shuttle for 26 years so I was around diving all my life and always bugged him to go. Well when i got certified we went down to the keys and the first dive since getting my certification my dad came ove rto me and knocked my mask off and ripped the regulator out of my mouth. I freaked out and started to surface when he grabbed my ankels and held me down and made me slow down and put my reglator back in and go find my mask. When he sufaced later he gave me as stern talking to and told me that was a test to see if I could would know what to do. Im glad he did it then because I now know what to do and how to handle the situtation.
My worst experience was when we where spearfishing offshore in 120 feet of water of the coast of Port cannaveral and my dads friend and me had just got down when he swims over very quickly saying that he is out of air already. We had to buddy breath and make our safety stop from 120 feet. When we got on the boat it turned out that someone else had put the empty tanks into the compartment where the full tanks go and he grabbed an empty tank instead of a full tank. Luckily I was their.

Unread 04/30/2009, 10:59 AM   #139
aalhait
Registered Member

I like Henry Cho's Emergency Program...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7toJk...eature=related

When he dives, he never dives with anybody he knows... When people try to be friendly and try to talk to him... He's like, NO, I don't need to know your name... (At the 1st sight of a Shark, I'm taking my knife and may have to stab you to run away)

Sorry, could not find the exact quote... But this is as close as I remember it...

aalhait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2009, 12:29 PM   #140
melev
Moved On

He's very funny, but that video had nothing to do with SCUBA. Go find the right one.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 08:49 PM   #141
clownfreak
Registered Member

I'm new to the scuba scene, and I am beginning to worry about the open water diving (or lack there of) and was wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go for more info. I've read all of this thread and would like to know what other things are recommended and more about the "charts". Thanks!

clownfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 09:09 PM   #142
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Probably worth starting a new thread for that discussion, and telling us what training and experience you currently have so that we have a starting point

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 09:57 PM   #143
clownfreak
Registered Member

Good idea thanks Bill, its all set up.

clownfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 01:10 PM   #144
Pulp Fishin
Were all mad here.

As sombody who is intrested in egtting into Scuba as a hobby I find this thread is a great read with invaluable personal experiances! Keep it up...

Aquarium Dumpster Diver Extraordinaire

Money talks, mine says "Good-Bye"

Current Tank Info: RIP:60g Pentagon Reef 100lbs LR 20g Sump Deltec Mce 600 Mag 750 250W Metal Halide & 2x39W T5's Phosban ReactorX2 5gal refugium 36xTO RIP:135G FOWLER /Agressive
Pulp Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2011, 09:07 PM   #145
fishdip

Is contacts bad for diving? I ask as others are talking about glass?

fishdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2011, 06:29 AM   #146
Paul B
Premium Member

Only if your mask comes off. But you are much better off with a facemask with your prescription lenz ground into the glass. You can have these made.

Unread 01/16/2011, 11:11 AM   #147
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Only if your mask comes off. But you are much better off with a facemask with your prescription lenz ground into the glass. You can have these made.
Why is it bad?

Unread 01/16/2011, 11:15 AM   #148
Paul B
Premium Member

The lens may float away and it may be hard to find in the Atlantic ocean.
Otherwise, it is not a problem at all.

Unread 01/16/2011, 07:01 PM   #149
fishdip

I see. I dive alot but just pool diving as im in co and the lakes are to cold now. I just started using them and have not taken my mask off under water yet with them in.

Unread 01/17/2011, 06:01 AM   #150
Paul B
Premium Member

Many times when you dive your mask may come off. I had mine removed by fish a few times especially if you dive at night. If you spook a big fish their tail can take it off. If you dive on wrecks it could come off on many of the cables or fishing nets.
It could also get kicked off by your dive partner.
In a pool or lake it should not be a problem but if your maks does come off don't open your eyes wide.