Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2015, 07:01 AM   #1
Grizzlor
Registered Member

compatibility of frogfish, ribbon eels, leaf fish, and seahorses

I am quite new to the hobby and have been enamored by certain marine species, namely frogfish, ribbon eels, leaf fish/rhinopias, and seahorses. I was thinking that frogfish, ribbone eels, leaf fish, and rhinopias can theoretically all live in the same environment without issue, and they can all eat the same food. I am planning to breed black mollies and guppies for feeding purposes. Additionally, seahorses (tropical types) could also exist in the same conditions. Providing that I directly feed the seahorses frozen Mysis shrimp, and feed the other black mollies/guppies, they can all exist in the same temperature (about 76 degrees) and flow requirements. the eels should not harm the others, and it would only be a matter of hoping the frogfish and rhinopias/leaf fish not gulping each other or the seahorses. Does anyone think it is possible? Or am I trying to mix fire & water? Has anyone kept any of these species together in the same tank before?

Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2015, 11:40 AM   #2
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I used to have two of your fish listed. I had a yellow wart skin angler and two ribbon ells black and a white both would eat goldfish yes back in the 80's hard to find ones that eat. Anglers will size up they're next meal if it is the same size as them or smaller and fit within their giant mouth, they don't care what they eat, keep them WELL feed and they might not eat your other fish.

I think you get two tanks for what you want.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Definitely.
A ribbon eel, if a ghost eel is any guide, and they're similar, has a very large mouth, hunts by night, hides by day, and will take down any fish he can get into his mouth. Freshwater species are not always good nutrition for a marine creature, longterm. But he will supplement himself quite expensively on most anything you put in with him. Seahorses would be lunch in short order.

My advice would be to build slowly. Start with a quiet seahorse tank and learn the chemistry ins and outs of that. Then work up to the larger tanks.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 12:11 AM   #4
Grizzlor
Registered Member

what do you feed ribbon eels if not mollies? The LFS tries frozen mysis shrimp, but I don't believe this is best as their mortality rate is terrible in captivity and this seems to be what everyone tries. Also, mollies are able to be in saltwater, so they are kind of marine? I was also thinking glass shrimp because someone told me that they'll be part of their natural diet (shrimp), and could live in saltwater until they molt. Regarding mouth size, when I look at them they seem to be always open but not very big...that's why I thought ribbon eels and frogfish might do OK together...frogfish too big for them and ribbon eels too long for the frogfish. The seahorse idea was just an additional thought. I hear the advice and probably won't do it...but I will still try the eels and frogfish together...and maybe a nice rhinopia as well.

Unread 05/12/2015, 02:20 AM   #5
Spslvr
Registered Member

These are two of mine i love scorpions and anglers, i like to make sure i have a steady stream of chromis for them, although small anglers up to an inch and a half love cherry shrimp

Spslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 08:18 AM   #6
Daltonbilecki
Registered Member

Just curious could a dwarf lion also live along side or will he be at risk?

Daltonbilecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 05:44 PM   #7
Spslvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltonbilecki View Post
Just curious could a dwarf lion also live along side or will he be at risk?
No problem at all i have one aswell..

Unread 05/12/2015, 07:25 PM   #8
bfin3
Registered Member

How much do you spend quarantining and feeding them chromis?

bfin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Spslvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfin3 View Post
How much do you spend quarantining and feeding them chromis?
none.. i feed 1 at a time.

Unread 05/12/2015, 10:45 PM   #10
ChimolaFish
Registered Member

Mollies spawn in the ocean and can live long (sometimes healthier and longer) lives completely in saltwater. I wouldn't feed goldfish though. Just feed frozen though if you can. Krill and silversides are perfect. Dwarf lions are trickier. You might never ween them on to frozen

Unread 05/13/2015, 08:46 AM   #11
accline
Registered Member

I used to keep seahorses, then I had twins. Seahorses need a dedicated tall tank. They feed very slowly and deliberately. If they are wild caught, they may, and I emphasize may, learn to eat frozen mysis shrimp. They also like rotifers, which if I'm not mistaken, are more nutritious than mysis. Please, please do not try to keep seahorses if you're new to the hobby. Wait until you have a little more of an understanding of how to keep the hardier breeds you're talking about and enjoy them. Seahorses are endangered because they are considered somewhat sacred in China and other Eastern countries. They are used for medicinal purposes and have been over fished. I'm not saying don't get them, just get them when you have a little more experience. I absolutely love them, they are fascinating, the way they "snick" their food. Thanks for reading my post.

accline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 07:11 PM   #12
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^^^ Welcome to Reef Central

Goldfish = 1985 ie back in the day.

I wish I could find my old photos of that tank.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2015, 11:07 PM   #13
Grizzlor
Registered Member

I sure wish my lfs could get in nice rhinopias...not that there are ugly ones, but I haven't seen a nice scorpion like yours, Spslvr, apart from on the internet. Were you ever worried about the rhinopia eating the frogfish?

On another note, my lfs just got in (last night) an antennarius commersoni (Commerson's frogfish). They said they were supposed to get a different one that was only 2.5 inches long, but the supplier sent this one that is huge! He's like 6 inches long and super fat. He's not the best in coloration, but still very cool!

Unread 05/14/2015, 11:08 PM   #14
Grizzlor
Registered Member

I sure wish my lfs could get in nice rhinopias...not that there are ugly ones, but I haven't seen a nice scorpion like yours, Spslvr, apart from on the internet. Were you ever worried about the rhinopia eating the frogfish?

On another note, my lfs just got in (last night) an antennarius commersoni (Commerson's frogfish). They said they were supposed to get a different one that was only 2.5 inches long, but the supplier sent this one that is huge! He's like 6 inches long and super fat. He's not the best in coloration, but still very cool!

Tags
frogfish, leaf fish, rhinopias, ribbon eel, seahorse