Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2011, 01:05 PM   #51
maik1
Registered Member

Oh sorry forgot one!

The Swabbie that I ordered for the BK 250 won't fit on my BK. Again ***!

Every one has been very helpful in trying to resolve the issues with me, but it sure all adds up to disappointment for me and frustration.

Maik1

maik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2011, 10:49 AM   #52
maik1
Registered Member

This is how I made the Swabbie fit.

I just needed 1/16" to make the lid fit flush.

This saved me time and money to ship things back and forth.

Maik1

Unread 03/26/2011, 11:23 AM   #53
maik1
Registered Member

This where I'm at now.

The seem to like the space as do the corals. They are opening up nicley.

I will be installing the rest of the Apex controller modules under the LED power supplies on the top right.

Still a mess, but it's working. Until I get my new return pump the rest of the plumbing is on hold.

Keeping the water in check with the towel.

The skimmer is starting to break in.

The filtersocks are a great addition for me.

Maik1

Unread 03/26/2011, 07:10 PM   #54
djze
Moved On

nice build so far everything looks great how did you resolve the issue with the salt i have used tropic marin in the past and never had that happened usually tropic marin dissolves in minutes

djze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2011, 09:51 PM   #55
maik1
Registered Member

Reef Crystals, I looked at a lot of large tanks online and many of them use Reef Crystals so I did too. The water was clear within hours just like Tropic Marin used to be.

Maik1

Unread 03/26/2011, 11:23 PM   #56
hpfunk
Registered Member

wow! Love the LED set up. The tanks grate too.
Q. Are you confident that the LED's will grow your coral, and do you intend on keeping any SPS.
Sorry, don't mean to be a septic of LED's, I actually am trying to justify going totally LED , but I have yet to see and hear about great success. I am relatively new to searching forums for my reef questions, so am I missing it or what? RC has been a great source for knowledge and entertainment alike. I look forward to seeing it all come together.

Current Tank Info: Born on 3-15-2010, 180 display, 120 ref., and plans for a 100g frag tank
hpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2011, 01:23 AM   #57
rnscross
Registered Member

i can totally understand the resentment with the BK not working. I've had that many set backs i often wonder why i just dont buy a massive plasma and run an ocean dvd on it, it would use less electricity and also be less stressful lol.

how often are you removing the filter socks? and what size micron are they?

rnscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2011, 04:17 AM   #58
maik1
Registered Member

My corals are mostly soft and are fine. I am not set on SPS but will try. I am going with LED for heat and $. I am very pleased with them. I had them running on my old system for the last 2 month and the corals loved them.

Maik1

Unread 03/27/2011, 04:32 AM   #59
maik1
Registered Member

200 micron felt, I also have them in a mesh. I am not sure how often I will have to change them. Maybe once per week if I had to guess.
I wouldn’t say that I resent BK. It's just with everything going wrong that week I'd had it.
You know I would expect things like that if I shopped at eBay or second hand but no I spend good money on high end stuff, that's what makes it so frustrating.
As far as a large plasma and playing an ocean video, I’ve done it and it's just not the same. LOL. Sure would be more economical though!

Maik1

Unread 03/27/2011, 04:41 AM   #60
rnscross
Registered Member

lol i guess resentment was a tad strong, but it wasnt towards the BK specifically more just annoyed that all these things have to happen to you...when you've done everything right.

from what ive read in some TJ from oz, people have 2 sets of filter socks and change them over and wash the dirty ones. not sure if the ones they have are felt or a thinner plastic though. could save some $$ though in the long run.

rnscross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2011, 03:02 PM   #61
maik1
Registered Member

Just some of my fish.

I just love watching him.

Just got this one today!

And a group shot with the new Foxface.

Maik1

Unread 04/07/2011, 08:14 PM   #62
maik1
Registered Member

Vlamimgii Surgeon

My Vlamimgii Surgeon jumped into the overflow box today!

I found him after looking all over the inside and outside of the tank today after I fed the fish and he was nowhere to be seen.
I knew is was missing in action because he has NEVER missed a meal before!
I am glad he jumped in the overflow box direction and not any other.
He is now back in the tank and I finally covered up the top of the tank with the mesh that I had for weeks but never got arround to install before.

Maik1

Unread 04/07/2011, 08:18 PM   #63
BigRedMack
Registered Member

tank looks great!

BigRedMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2011, 07:04 PM   #64
maik1
Registered Member

ICH in the Tank!

And today I have ICH in the tank!
Two of the Tangs have it bad, scratiching on rocks and have lots of spots.
Now what????

HELP!
Please.

Maik1

Unread 04/08/2011, 10:17 PM   #65
laredo300c
Registered Member

My hippo is the only fish in my tank to get ich, every now and then, I have never added any chemicals , if fish keeps eating , he should be okay, if he stops maybe slowly raise the temp as I've heared ich doesn't survive in higher temp,never tried it, my hippo always recovers from ich

laredo300c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 12:02 AM   #66
syedjilani
Registered Member

Use garlic. soak feed in raw garlic paste or use garlic power from kent marin... feed this your fish ll heal up....

Old 300G tank thread " My 300 Gallon Reef in Saudi Ar

Current Tank Info: shttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2150301
syedjilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 12:16 AM   #67
JTrem94
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maik1 View Post
And today I have ICH in the tank!
Two of the Tangs have it bad, scratiching on rocks and have lots of spots.
Now what????

HELP!
Please.

Maik1
I would recommend taking ALL the fish out and putting them all in a (or multiple) quarantine tanks. Treat them with copper and let the display tank sit for a month so all the ich will complete it's cycle and die off. The quarantine tanks would be useful to keep anyways so you could quarantine any fish that goes into your tank.

JTrem94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 12:26 AM   #68
geaux xman
Registered Member

that stinks man. i was getting all excited looking at the fish pictures then i read the post about the ich.

it'll be rough trying to catch and QT all the fish. which one of the tangs have it? at this point and with the amount of fish you have, i would probably just continue trying to feed it well and stick it out.

Unread 04/09/2011, 07:24 AM   #69
maik1
Registered Member

Thank you for your comments and tips, the Hippo and the Goldrim have it the most. I am using Garlic now and dropping the Salinity.
I am running the tank at 79 F now too that is up from 78F (should I go higher?). All the fish seem to eat well.
I have no choice but to stick it out because I do not have a QT set up or big enough for all of my fish IF I could catch them.
I am setting up my old UV system too, it may help.

(I just want you to know that any comments or suggestions are appreciated.)

Maik1

Unread 04/09/2011, 08:09 AM   #70
d3hree
Registered Member

Thats a shame Maik,
As regards temperature I have heard/read that lowering it is better. Apparently the parasites prefer the warmer temps to the lower. I have no personal experience of this though.
Hyposalinity treatments are less harsh to the fish, lowering it to 1.009 over a week or so would be better than copper treatments, obviously you would still need to get the fish out.
UV will help kill the free swimming stage of the parasite. After it has hosted the fish for a few days it will become free swimming for a few hours. Then they will reproduce and turn into further free swimming stages searching for more fish to infect.

HTH, best of luck with it!

d3hree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 01:36 PM   #71
realtime3d
Registered Member

Quote:
... and dropping the Salinity...
I don't think you're supposed to do hypo salinity treatments with inverts in the tank. Inverts can't tolerate lower salinity which is why it works against Ich.

realtime3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 01:57 PM   #72
maik1
Registered Member

I wanted to lower the Salinity to 1.022 from 1.026 over the next 5-6 days, that should not kill the rest of the tank and may help the fish?

The Garlic seems to help, the fish have less spots today.

"Thanks" to the ICH I got my 25 watt UV and 1/2 hp Chiller installed.

The temperature is now at 76F.

Maik1

Unread 04/09/2011, 04:15 PM   #73
realtime3d
Registered Member

Quote:
I wanted to lower the Salinity to 1.022 from 1.026 over the next 5-6 days, that should not kill the rest of the tank and may help the fish?
It won't help get rid of ich unless you drop it to a level intolerable to inverts. It might make the fish more comfortable. I've treated it successfully by lowering to 1.011 over 48hrs but only for fish.

realtime3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 07:19 PM   #74
d3hree
Registered Member

One of the issues with the majority of residential UV systems is that they are under powered. I would suggest that your 25w UV is waay underpowered for your tank.

What are the flow recommendations for that unit?..quite low I suspect? If you have the water rushing through it from your return pump I doubt that it will have the contact time in the UV to make any difference.

The salinity will need to be lower than 1.022 to have an impact on the ich too....sorry.

d3hree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2011, 07:34 PM   #75
maik1
Registered Member

Yes I know the UV is only 25 watts with a 750-1000 gph rating but my Chiller wants the same flow as the UV with a 3/4" in and out.
That's why I have it on the left return side of the tank and the right side of the tank has the 1 1/2" return from the sump.
The Dart pump has 3200 gph total so 1000 on the left and 2200 on the right side of the tank.
If I had a larger UV or more time I would get a larger one but this is better than nothing right now I think.
If I shouldn't bother with changing the Salinity down to 1.022 than I won't, just tell me.

Thanks for everyone’s help! I appreciate it.

Maik1