Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Sand Beds & Refugiums
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2000, 12:35 PM   #1
Flatlander
Premium Member

So when ever I pick up a rock or lps or whatever is sitting on my sandbed, its just crawling with critters under there.
My question is, if one builds their reefs up on supports above the sandbed, where does all these critters live? It must be their choice of preference to live there under rock.
I also would like your opinions on moving my sandbed in a few months. What would be the best method for limiting loss of life[ sheeezzz, it took me so long to get it this way]. I assume I will have to not pack it to deep or they will die. Also, how does the disturbance of the bed effect it. My current 2in bed will be added to a dead 2in bed in the new tank. Thank-you.

------------------
Doug Lowey

Unread 02/02/2000, 12:50 PM   #2
rshimek
Moved On

Hi Doug,

I have always advised people to put there rocks into the aquarium first and then add the sand around them. This does two things, it anchors the rockwork, and it provides the addition sediment-rock interface as a habitat.

The best way to limit loss of life in moving would be the following. Using several deep buckets, siphon your present sand into them. Set up the new bed, dead sand on the bottom and rockwork in place. Siphon from the buckets into the new tank. Let things get set for a few days before adding fish or crusaceans.

For most sand bed animals, this will be the equivalent of storm surge. They are adapted to this, and while there will be some mortality, it will be minimal.

Cheers, Ron

Unread 02/02/2000, 03:31 PM   #3
Flatlander
Premium Member

Hi Ron; Thanks for the response. Excellent advise about rock placement. My opinion also from seeing the creatures in my bed.
So, by your advice, I will need a temporary home for the fish for a couple of days when putting life into the new tank. Sounds like a good way of doing it though.
I have also decided to set up the new tank a-la-Ron Shimek. I have never been a sump lover. Selling my Euroreef, ATS to expensive in Canada, so am installing one of Ron,s 6ft. counter current behind the tank.
Thanks

------------------
Doug Lowey

Unread 02/03/2000, 12:02 PM   #4
rshimek
Moved On

Hi Doug,

I would do no more than about 5 inches. Siphon off excess water - all that you need is just enough sediment to keep the sand moist. Cover with wet newspaper. Keep cool (60's F is good). Should be fine for 24 hours. When ready to add to new tank, fill bucket with warmer water (mid 70s) and siphon into the tank. Bring up to reef temperature there.

Cheers, Ron

Unread 02/03/2000, 02:53 PM   #5
Flatlander
Premium Member

Merci Ron.

------------------
Doug Lowey

Unread 02/03/2000, 11:54 PM   #6
Flatlander
Premium Member

Ron;
How deep in the buckets would you estimate the sand could be put safely? Its an eight hour trip.
Also an unrelated sandbed question. Does anyone have any comments on how the growing of yellow and green polyps in and across the sandbed affect it?

------------------
Doug Lowey