Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2017, 09:15 AM   #1
CenterConsole
Registered Member

New tank, what should my QT protocol be?

Been out of the hobby for a couple years and I'm considering setting up a new tank in the near future. I've always used cupramine and prazipro in QT and leaving the DT fallow. Since I'll be setting up a brand new tank, I want to eliminate all possible chances of diseases as much as possible, do it rifhtthe first time. It seems that the TTM is the latest craze, yet I couldn't find a sticky on specifically that method? What is the proper procedure for such a treatment? Looks like 2 tanks and ever 72 hours you switch (cleaning the old one out thoroughly) for a total of 12 days? Are you just filling the new transfer tank with fresh premixed saltwater? Then your original QT needs to be 100% cleaned and fresh too, also when do you treat for other diseases aside from ich? I've never been a big dip fan, especially when you first get the fish, rather get it eating and relaxed, then treating. Just looking for the best plan of action for a completely new setup, thanks.

CenterConsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 10:18 AM   #2
Brieninsac
Registered Member

As you will soon see, there are dozens of quarantine procedures people follow. Many of which evolve out of previous failures.

I've done both a standard quarantine and TTM. I think TTM provides excellent results if you manage it right. I only do TTM if I observe disease coming on. Otherwise, I stick to a standard 4-week quarantine. I also don't medicate the water unless I see something. I really try and keep it as stress free as possible for my fish.

One thing I've been doing differently over the last 6 months is killing the lights all day on my QT. They come on for 3 hours in the evening during feeding time. I am also only feeding once a day. The QT is in our dining room that has no one walking by during the day. So I think they have a very peaceful location and so far it's been working out really well.

I also added an air-stone in addition to a foam filter to keep the water well oxygenated and I think that's been helping too.

Unread 03/31/2017, 12:42 PM   #3
CenterConsole
Registered Member

I'm a firm believer in getting the fish acclimated and eating well first, but also believe diseases like ich is everywhere even if you can't see it. I've always gotten my new fish eating first before starting any treatments, I was always determined to have an ice free display tank. Since I'm starting from scratch, I want to do everything right, the first time. I'll definitely treat for ich even if it's not visible, I know it's laying dormant especially getting fish from distributors all over the world, it's inevitable. I've never done a TTM before though.

CenterConsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 04:11 AM   #4
jam.jo
Registered Member

Freshwater dip with methylene blue is good for precaution, then QT for 1 month. If you see signs of ich, take further steps to treat the tank. Ich x, copper, TTM, they all have good results if you use them right. Do not treat angels with copper ever. They do not tolerate it if you have ich you can also in combination with one of those methods feed the fish with seachem focus and seachem metroplex with some garlic and vitamin c. Garlic might help entice the fish to eat if it is not accepting food. Always feed natural frozen food like mysis when first getting the fish as they may not be accustomed to pellet or flake food and it is closest to their natural diet. Also watch for secondary bacterial infections that may develop from parasitic infections. I have heard API furan 2 is a good broad spectrum antibiotic if a bacterial infection is present.

jam.jo is offline   Reply With Quote