Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2015, 01:55 AM   #26
kinggeorge818
Registered Member

subscribed!

I've been to this build and seen it's progress so far and I have to say it's a very professional and well thought out build! Congrats.

George

Current Tank Info: 675 gallon tank, 220 gallon vat, 200 gallon sump, 60 gallon refugium
kinggeorge818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2015, 05:57 AM   #27
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I have had to help recover a couple systems myself that were setup from a company. And I was doing the same as you, going to purchase equipment and then was asked about what do they think of their system. One setup had a 225 gallon system with a 500 gph return pump. And thought the cyano was cool looking.

I honor you to take the time out to help and make your client a more knowledgeable hobbyist.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 09:55 PM   #28
RobbyG
Registered Member

Really nice setup, I am also tagging along and looking forward to seeing this tank completed.

Rob

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 03:31 PM   #29
sarens
Registered Member

this should be interesting, tagging along

Current Tank Info: 11'6" long 330gal with 475 gallon system volume
sarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 04:55 PM   #30
jdurell
Registered Member

Subscribed. Nice to see a fellow reefer helping another out.

jdurell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 08:52 PM   #31
ReefRescue
Registered Member

Smile

I can’t find a picture of the way the sump was originally set up, but in the video bellow you should be able to get an idea of how it was, the sump was on the right hand side under the tank.
The tank was custom ordered, with all the holes coming through the overflow, two 1.5“ drains, and five 1” returns.
This already presented a major problem, after calling the manufacture of the tank and finding out that the bottom and the back panels are tempered glass. Which meant I wasn't going to be able to drill any more holes.
And with the tank being built in a cabinet in the bedroom right against the wall, the option of hanging returns wasn't possible.
With this whole idea, and looking more and more into the way the system was set up, the size of the sump, restriction of space near or within the sump for an efficient skimmer, the close loop which was set up as a return and the high pressure return pump going through the chiller, I realized it wasn't possible to salvage his set up.
So after inspecting and investigating further into possibilities, I saw the possibility of building a dedicated fish room.
Directly outside, behind where the tank was sitting upstairs, runs the chimney for the fire place. At the ground level on both sides of it, there were storage units built for keeping fire wood on one side and lawn chairs in the other.
Not being very optimistic I asked Larry if he would consider, getting rid of these two storage units and building a dedicated fish room except much higher in height since the storage units were 4’ tall.
And to my surprise, he loved the idea and wondered why no one else thought about it earlier.

Last edited by ReefRescue; 03/12/2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: video link
ReefRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 09:02 PM   #32
ReefRescue
Registered Member

Unread 03/12/2015, 09:17 PM   #33
ReefRescue
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggeorge818 View Post
subscribed!

I've been to this build and seen it's progress so far and I have to say it's a very professional and well thought out build! Congrats.

George
Thanks George
Its been a pleasure getting to know you and seeing the progress of your tank as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
I have had to help recover a couple systems myself that were setup from a company. And I was doing the same as you, going to purchase equipment and then was asked about what do they think of their system. One setup had a 225 gallon system with a 500 gph return pump. And thought the cyano was cool looking.

I honor you to take the time out to help and make your client a more knowledgeable hobbyist.
This is amazing, I see this too often. I guess we can all take a part to go to our local clubs and help the new comers and even the veterans and share information and learn from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyG View Post
Really nice setup, I am also tagging along and looking forward to seeing this tank completed.

Rob
Thanks Robbie
would love to meet you in person to put a face to the voice and all the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurell View Post
Subscribed. Nice to see a fellow reefer helping another out.
I think that's the least we can do in the hobby to make sure our kids can also have the chance to enjoy this amazing world as we do.

Unread 03/13/2015, 04:33 AM   #34
Sangheili
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRescue View Post
Have a look at the fastener in this picture below.I was able to move it with my hand after examining the source of the leaks, and I realized they were all loose. I could not believe my eyes. This was done by a company in the valley, they were also servicing his previous 150gal tank doing two water changes a week with 5gal buckets up and down the stairs.

I don't understand how these people stay in business.(for 5 years)

Simply unreal...

Sangheili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 02:50 AM   #35
kinggeorge818
Registered Member

Ridiculous

That plumbing looks like something my gardener would come up with not something for a reef tank!

I'm glad your fixing it for him!

Current Tank Info: 675 gallon tank, 220 gallon vat, 200 gallon sump, 60 gallon refugium
kinggeorge818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 05:04 AM   #36
ReefRescue
Registered Member

Been missing in action. Work has been crazy.
Will be posting after this weekend.

Unread 05/02/2016, 11:42 AM   #37
BrandonFlorida
Registered Member

any updates?

BrandonFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abyzz, apex, aquatronica, ecotech, seahorse