Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2021, 08:04 AM   #1926
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well, she's back in the back wall. It's okay. I know where she is, so I know where to look.

No word yet from KP.

QT31

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2021, 05:01 PM   #1927
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

KP Aquatics has shipped my order! Now I will get psyched up for acclimating six Royal Grammas. The last time I did it, I remember it was stressful, but successful. Six different vessels is a lot to keep up with, throughout the process.

I'm excited for the upcoming transformation of my tank. More than doubling the number of fish will do that. Up until now, my focus has been almost entirely on the plants. Now things will shift a little, but still the overall ecosystem has priority.

I should think about what things I can do to accommodate the new fish, before they finish their quarantine. I was thinking of getting more pods and also adding coarse crushed coral to provide refuge and structure for them. But before I do that, I should get my grasses transplanted. And before I do that, I should remove the shoal grass! Oh yeah, I also need to crop the Caulerpa back, so they can find their caves. It's like pealing an onion…

Unread 03/10/2021, 01:35 PM   #1928
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The grammas are here. I'm in the process of acclimating them to the quarantine tank's hypo salinity water. We're just about there. Maybe another half hour. Then I'll get them in, and get them started with General Cure.

I decided to use just two buckets for acclimation, since I figured they all came in basically the same water. I put three in each bucket. I put a bunch of Caulerpa in there for them to hide in and feel secure. There are tons of pods zipping around, so if any of them get hungry…

They sent me five small fish and one larger one. This should work out perfectly, as no-one will feel the need to assert dominance, with one fish obviously larger. They should settle right into their respective roles of a harem. In v1 it took months for one to emerge as the dominant male. So there was a lot of bickering and challenging. I expect these guys to 'come to an agreement' without too much fuss.

Also in my order was another, different gorgonian and a smallish tree sponge. I got them into the display after floating their bags for a half hour. I think the Candelabra gorgonian is a goner. It's lost a lot of flesh and none of the remaining looks alive either. I'll keep it in for a while longer, to see if any of it makes it, but it doesn't look good.

Unread 03/10/2021, 07:27 PM   #1929
vlangel
Registered Member

Hooray for grammas arriving safe and sound! That is nice that the bigger one should emerge as the alpha. Exciting times.

How does CO weather look? We just had some awesome unseasonably warm weather, today was probably 70! I hear that is ending tomorrow and we will be more in the mid 40s after Friday. I got a lot of yard work done these last 3 days however. What do you think the optimal temperature to ship marine life is?

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2021, 10:34 PM   #1930
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

We've gotten some snow and we're expecting more, possibly a lot. It's good. We need the water. We had some warmer weather last week. I got some bike rides in. Now I'll be back on the skis.

The new grammas have been hiding in the rocks mostly. I'm hoping they'll venture out more tomorrow. The new gorgonian already has it's polyps out. I target fed the new sponge with some phytoplankton. I'll feed the gorg tomorrow.

Good question about shipping temps. Maybe in the 70s? I look forward to trading!

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 03/11/2021 at 05:53 PM.
Unread 03/11/2021, 06:15 PM   #1931
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Today I was finally able to account for all six grammas. I fed them some frozen mysis and cyclops. That got them out a bit more, so I could count them. One looks to have a swim bladder issue, as she has to swim downwards. She seems fine otherwise. I'm hoping she'll get past it, but I'm not sure that will happen. She's eating well so I'm hopeful. The largest one hasn't been very aggressive, but I've seen it 'encourage' a small one to retreat into the rock work. I'll keep an eye on that. I want to make sure everyone gets enough to eat. If he becomes an issue, I'll move him into the last remaining quarantine tank. That's a last resort though. I don't want another fish to decide she wants to be Big Daddy. So I think it's best to keep them altogether.

Today I started them on General Cure, in addition to the already established hypo salinity. Second dosage goes in Saturday.

The new gorgonian got knocked over, so I decided to superglue it to a rock. Not long after putting it back in the tank, it's polyps were popping out again. So I target fed it some rotifers, waited awhile, then fed it again, when more polyps were out. This gorg gives me a much better feeling than the candelabra, which looks completely toast.

QT33
QT2

Unread 03/11/2021, 07:11 PM   #1932
vlangel
Registered Member

Hopefully the big gramma does not turn into a bully. I never have had any luck with swim bladder issues. Maybe one of the meds you are using in QT will help?

Great news about the new gorg. Sorry to hear that the candalabra isn't coming around.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 03/12/2021, 06:10 AM   #1933
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Glad to hear you finally have some grammas. Sounds like the new gorg will be a great addition.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2021, 08:36 AM   #1934
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. Thanks ThePurple12.

I studied up on the swim bladder thing, and one possible cure is antibiotics, so I'll do that after General Cure is done. I think the big guy will do okay.

It's great to have six grammas. I guess it's the 'tetra effect'. One is nice, but six is fantastic!

The new gorg looks to be doing well. Now that I have it glued to a rock, I'll leave it alone and let it settle in. I'm thinking I'll be investing in some Reef Roids for it. I'm not sure if the rotifers are small enough for it's small polyps. It seems like they would be.

Unread 03/12/2021, 08:37 AM   #1935
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. Thanks ThePurple12.

I studied up on the swim bladder thing, and one possible cure is antibiotics, so I'll do that after General Cure is done. I think the big guy will do okay.

It's great to have six grammas. I guess it's the 'tetra effect'. One is nice, but six is fantastic!

The new gorg looks to be doing well. Now that I have it glued to a rock, I'll leave it alone and let it settle in. I'm thinking I'll be investing in some Reef Roids for it. I'm not sure if the rotifers are small enough for it's small polyps. It seems like they would be.

Unread 03/12/2021, 04:32 PM   #1936
vlangel
Registered Member

Which antibiotic are you using? I had pretty good luck with triple sulfa. I had quite a pharmacy with the seahorses and still have multiple antibiotics on hand. Anyway, for what it is worth seahorses always responded best to the triple sulfa and furan 2.

Unread 03/12/2021, 04:40 PM   #1937
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Erythromycin. Good to know, Dawn, thanks. Triple sulfa and Furan2.

I'll stick with this, since I have it on hand, but I appreciate the input. I'll try one of those next time I need to buy some.

Unread 03/12/2021, 06:11 PM   #1938
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

One of benefits of having live rock is finding new stuff almost everyday. I love combing over it with my magnifying glass. Today was particularly productive. I spotted two different, tiny red macros. They're less than an inch tall. It will be fascinating to watch them grow. One looks possibly to be Halymenia elongata, while the other looks like nothing I know of, with slender, oval leaves.

I noted that the new tree sponge was showing oscula that weren't visible yesterday. So naturally I target fed it. I went ahead and fed the new gorgonian as well. I'm hoping to improve my dismal record with store-bought gorgs and sponges.

I also spotted some new air bladders on the tallest stem of Sargassum. This is pretty exciting and points to taller growth. It would be amazing to get it growing to the surface.

Scarlett continues to be cryptic in quarantine. She appears to be ready for primetime whenever I'm ready. That will depend on the Royal Grammas. They're still pretty shy about coming out of the rock work, but they're not nearly as skittish as Scarlett.

We're expecting a pretty heavy snow event around here this weekend. Hopefully we won't lose power. I'd like to get my hands wet and putz around with the tank.

Unread 03/13/2021, 07:02 PM   #1939
vlangel
Registered Member

Sounds like exciting things are happening with the 'Weeds' tank with new macros appearing and QT fish doing pretty well. I think I have used erithomycin as well years ago. I have some in my fish pharmaceudicals.

Good luck with getting snow. It sounds like it's more winter like in CO than here in PA. Dave and I cut and stacked firewood, and burned brush from a downed tree. It was a cloudless day in the 50s so perfect for what we were doing.

I got our patio set up for enjoying including what I am dubbing the Gilson's RazzleBerry cafe. That is because we have blueberries in the garden, strawberries in the window boxes and this year I am planting raspberries in trellis planters. I love spring and summer, so I am ready.

Last edited by vlangel; 03/13/2021 at 07:16 PM.
Unread 03/13/2021, 10:49 PM   #1940
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yep, all is well here in Weedsville. Not a ton of snow so far - maybe nine inches, but the bulk is supposed to come after midnight, so we'll see in the morning. I use erythromycin for both QT and cyanobacteria so it's doubly useful.

It must be nice to get out and do Spring things. I'm jealous of all your berries! I am enjoying this last bit of winter, getting some beautiful cross country skiing in. I do enjoy the snow.

I got my hands wet today, going after the ever-present caulerpa stragglers on the sand bed. I'm itching to start pulling shoal grass, but I better wait until things warm up a bit.

QT36
QT5

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 03/13/2021 at 11:09 PM.
Unread 03/14/2021, 07:35 PM   #1941
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Today I found one of the Royal Grammas dead. I had wondered yesterday, when I was only able to account for five of them. Oddly, it wasn't the one with swim bladder problems. And that one looks a little less buoyant everyday. Tomorrow I'll start them on erythromycin.

QT37
QT6

Unread 03/15/2021, 08:30 AM   #1942
vlangel
Registered Member

Oh no, that is so sad and apparently unexpected. If you should lose the one with the swim bladder issue, is 4 grammas enough to be a harem? If not will you order a couple more?
That is a bummer for sure, but hopefully a one time incident.

I hope the erythromycin helps the gramma with the swim bladder issue.

Unread 03/15/2021, 09:12 AM   #1943
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It is kind of a bummer, but the one with swim bladder problems seems better everyday, so I'm optimistic. Given that they sent me five small ones, rather than six suggests KP's doesn't have any more small ones for me to order. So for now I'll go on the hope that I'll have a five fish harem. If I lose more I may look into ordering more. Five is still a good number, so I'll be happy with that. Also that leaves room for more other fish.

QT38
QT7

Unread 03/15/2021, 10:56 AM   #1944
vlangel
Registered Member

I will keep my fingers crossed for the 5 remaining grammas!

So, there might be other varieties of fish? Cool, any ideas of what that might be? A combtooth blenny might be really neat, although that might bring out the inner bully in Scarlett. I am sure that you would like to see her become a bit more assertive but not to where you could have a Tommy vs Marmalade situation! Whatever you choose will be nice I am sure.

Unread 03/15/2021, 12:00 PM   #1945
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Today all five grammas are accounted for. Yesterday I could only see four, so that's a relief. Today they're more out and about, which is nice. My cat, Reggie noticed them for the first time, so there was some fun interaction. I added erythromycin today, so hopefully that helps clear up the air bladder issue. It looks to be gradually improving on it's own.

As for other fish additions, it would be great to sneak in another school of something. The last time I visited my LFS, they had some damsels/chromis that had very similar coloring to Scarlett's. I'm sure they're gone by now, but it got me thinking. I don't think I'd take the chance of adding a fish that eats like Scarlett. I've got a few other thoughts, but nothing serious just yet.

With the extra, unwanted work that the Caulerpa gives me, I'm tempted to add a Foxface temporarily, to wipe it out for me. I was thinking I could move my prized macros to a holding tank in the interim. Of course there's no guarantee it would get it all, so it's kind of doubtful.

Unread 03/15/2021, 12:23 PM   #1946
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Another quick update.

The Sargassum stem with air bladders seems to be accelerating it's growth. Two days ago there were three, today there are five air bladders.

Another new plant is showing itself. Just above the wave box outlet is a Hynea plant growing. I'm pretty sure this is the real deal because it's blue and has thicker branches than the brown grasilaria. So Yay! I'll probably leave it there for now, and let it break free on it's own. It's getting blown pretty firmly by the pump, so it shouldn't be long.

Unread 03/15/2021, 04:32 PM   #1947
vlangel
Registered Member

That is cool about the excelerated growth of the Sargassum and the added air bladders. I am excited about the Hynea too and hopefully it continues to thrive.

Unread 03/15/2021, 06:08 PM   #1948
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn!

New plant growth takes it up a notch. Everything's growing really well right now. I suspect the CO2 has something to do with it…

Unread 03/16/2021, 06:54 AM   #1949
vlangel
Registered Member

I know you run the CO2 through a canister filter somehow. I have never done CO2 and honestly do not know much about it. I remember 15 years ago when I worked at the lfs that a manager set up a planted freshwater tank with what I think was CO2 using a diy pop bottle contraption. lt was for a tank with Amazon sword plants and discus.

Anyway do you mind explaining how your CO2 gets into the tank. I am sorry if you have already shared this and I am asking you to repeat it.

Unread 03/16/2021, 09:05 AM   #1950
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sure! I'll describe my setup. I haven't tried those DIY setups. They don't sound dependable enough, in my opinion.

First you need a CO2 tank. I use a smallish 5lb size. Just go down to your local bottled gas company and ask for one. Twenty dollars or so. When it runs out, just return it for a filled one. I go through around two a year. You also need a regulator. This is the expensive part - around a hundred bucks. It threads onto your CO2 tank and allows you to have very fine control of the slow release of the CO2. You can get one from your LFS, or online. There are DIY versions too. I like the peace of mind of a store-bought one myself. You'll need enough quarter inch tubing to reach from your tank regulator to the intake tube of a canister filter (or calcium reactor). I also added a check valve to prevent water flowing back down to the regulator. You'll need to drill a quarter inch hole in the intake tube of the canister filter to fit the end of the tubing into. This is where the CO2 releases bubbles that get sucked into your canister filter and mixed into the water by the impeller. So the water coming out of your canister filter has a high CO2 content.

For reef tanks growing stoney corals, it would make sense to use a calcium reactor, which will require another pump. With a canister filter, you can add calcium media too, for a quasi-calcium reactor, plus you have other media options, like charcoal, phosphate absorbing media, mechanical filtration, etcetera. Most canister filters have multiple baskets to put whatever you want in there. You can also run it with nothing in there. It's totally up to you.

Here's a simple diagram of my setup:

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass