Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2007, 11:15 PM   #76
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Quote:
Originally posted by tankslave
We'll see what happens at MASLAC... Not exactly an enthusiastic crowd recently...
Lars, you should show up to a Board meeting, things have a way of working out in the end, members do pull together.

Joyce, I believe the frag swap was tentatively scheduled for December, but not confirmed yet. November is the Tank Tour.

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2007, 12:10 PM   #77
tankslave
Registered Member

Yeah, I completely blanked on monday. I actually got home at a decent hour, but completely forgot... :P

I saw Dave's email; looked like the meeting went fairly well...

Maybe with Rich's help we can get some better/more raffle stuff. I just dont have enough time to do it myself anymore.

I think, also, if we can get a few more pple to come to the meetings, we'll be able to get more pple to help out. More pple means more raffle $$$, means more speakers, means more pple, etc etc...

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
-Lord Peter Wimsey, "Gaudy Night"

Current Tank Info: Tankless Reefer
tankslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2007, 09:16 AM   #78
ReefMeister2
Moved On

Quote:
I think, also, if we can get a few more pple to come to the meetings, we'll be able to get more pple to help out. More pple means more raffle $$$, means more speakers, means more pple, etc etc...
(This is merely a observation/suggestion, so please do not take this as criticism)

MASLAC was offered FREE booths at RAP, CFM, and MAX events for the purpose of promoting the club and recruiting new members. All three offers went unanswered. RAP had over 2,000 hobbyists attend the 6-hour event, MAX expecting even more, and CFM had people literally lined up around the building waiting to get in!

This IS your target market: Literally hundreds of hardcore reef hobbyists congegrated into a single place at a single time....what more could you ask for? Whatever the case may be with political/internal/organizational issues, only one thing is certain: This is lost opportunity.

If I may offer my humble opinion (and take it for what its worth) a non-profit organization may ultimately have altruistic goals, but it still needs to conduct at least MINIMAL amount of promotional activities (akin to that of a For-profit entity) if it wishes to survive. I'm certainly not suggesting that other clubs are more successful simply because they engage in these activities, but I AM saying that these are incredible opportunities that should not be overlooked. Find a few people who are willing to man those booths. Pass out literature/business cards/flyers......provide a sign-up sheet...collect e-mail addresses.....give out free Girl Scout cookies, whatever it takes; just get the job done! The rewards far outweigh the efforts, I can promise you that.

Last edited by ReefMeister2; 11/01/2007 at 09:29 AM.
ReefMeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2007, 03:44 PM   #79
tankslave
Registered Member

No, I totally agree. Personally, I didnt even know that that offer was out there. I went to RAP, and will probably go to CFM and MAX. If we had a booth there, I'd totally help out. I think that new members are usually more enthusiastic about the club and more likely to come out. Its a bit of a catch 22; no one wants to do all the work, but if we had more people, we'd have more volunteers, and hence the job would be easier.

If the offer is still up, PM me and let me know what we need to do to get a booth.

Unread 11/01/2007, 04:32 PM   #80
Captain Quirk
Registered Member

Discussion was had within our club regarding taking a booth at these events. Although we are undecided as of yet, the general consensus is that we will be attending RAP and CFM. Although club exposure IS critical, we believe that our presence may be seen as an endorsement, and we are unable to endorse the other event.

You could have a membership of, say, 10 people, and if they're committed, they can help the club accomplish anything. It's not the numbers that are important IMO: it's the willingness and commitment of the members and leadership that will determine the boundaries any club will have.

With that said, I'll admit I'll pretty much take all the help I can get. As long as I can sleep at night, that is...

FWIW, YMMV...

Current Tank Info: Too many?
Captain Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2007, 04:45 PM   #81
tankslave
Registered Member

well, I see it as, to get one committed person, you'll have to attract 5-10 not so committed people... :P

Unread 11/01/2007, 04:47 PM   #82
Captain Quirk
Registered Member

Yup... And because of all the work OF that one committed person, well...

(TOTALLY PREDICTABLE PUN ALERT!!)

That person in turn should BE committed...

So sorry... I could NOT resist...

Unread 11/01/2007, 05:27 PM   #83
Macimage
Registered Member

I personally do not see working a show booth as an endorsement of an event/promoter. I have worked many shows in past years selling land and that didn't mean that I endorsed the rv association or the fred whomever that puts on those fishing conventions.

Stating that the club is seen as endorsing an event is allowing personal prejudice and politics to come into play as a reason for boycotting said events.

Working a booth at a fish, boat, rv, travel (etc.) show is just that, nothing more or less. Furthermore, when the space is offered for free, it really doesn't even begin to make sense unless personalities are now factored into the mix, which they should not be.

Of course, if you own a business and wish to take a personal stand by boycotting a show for whatever your reason (you think the guy's a jerk, you hate pink table drapes) that would be totally your decision as the business owner.

No harm intended, just my opinion.

Joyce

Last edited by Macimage; 11/01/2007 at 05:36 PM.
Macimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2007, 04:07 PM   #84
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
No, I totally agree. Personally, I didnt even know that that offer was out there. I went to RAP, and will probably go to CFM and MAX. If we had a booth there, I'd totally help out. I think that new members are usually more enthusiastic about the club and more likely to come out. Its a bit of a catch 22; no one wants to do all the work, but if we had more people, we'd have more volunteers, and hence the job would be easier.

If the offer is still up, PM me and let me know what we need to do to get a booth.
Better take him up on that booth offer. He never offered one to SCMAS. I guess that happens in divorce. It's all good though.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2007, 04:58 PM   #85
tankslave
Registered Member

Yes, I think will....

I dont know if we even have a banner or anything. Might have to look into that. Sometimes I feel like we're just a "good-ole-boys" type club. I'd like to see some new faces though...

Unread 11/08/2007, 05:19 PM   #86
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Sometimes I feel like we're just a "good-ole-boys"
Nothing wrong with being a "good-ole-boys" club. As long as none of the "good-ole-boys" don't have ulterior motives. But your club knows what that's like from experience.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...

Last edited by gcarroll; 11/08/2007 at 05:25 PM.
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2007, 06:32 PM   #87
Captain Quirk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gcarroll
Nothing wrong with being a "good-ole-boys" club. As long as none of the "good-ole-boys" don't have ulterior motives. But your club knows what that's like from experience.
When I think of the phrase "good-ole-boys", my mind doesn't conjure up very positive images.

That being said, I have not found that to be an anywhere near accurate description of the SoCal club leadership NOR it's members.

As for their club wanting a booth, that's their decision. Our club has spoken about it (at least at the leadership level) and the desire was a unanimous NO.

Joyce's argument about personalities is a valid one. Although I believe the issue is an ethical one, I will admit that there are personal issues that are also a part of my position.

So, in an effort to be objective, we'll do what any democracy does and present it to the membership for their input. If they want it, fine.

What ever happened to the good old days? You know, when a handshake and an understanding meant something? I'm SO sick of the "me" generation...

Anyway...

Unread 11/09/2007, 10:54 AM   #88
ReefMeister2
Moved On

Quote:
Better take him up on that booth offer. He never offered one to SCMAS. I guess that happens in divorce. It's all good though.
On the contrary, I am still a full SCMAS member and will continue to be in the years ahead. My departure as president has nothing to do with my membership status or my love for the club.

In any case, your timing is ironic. I am just now finalizing the free booth locations, logistics, etc. and yes, SCMAS and IEMAS are on that list. I have not yet sent out official announcements and/or offers due to censorship restrictions here on RC. I am trying to find a way around that. I guess club officers could contact me directly if they wish to petition for a booth: info@[I]removed by RC Staff[/I]

I wish to offer at least a half dozen FREE booths to reef clubs throughout California; possibly a few from Nevada or Arizona as well). I can only do this on a case-by-case basis at the moment due to space restriction. The inside floorplan is nearly sold out, but I still have space in the courtyard. (I only recently received the CAD drawing for it) Obviously I have to prioritize, so the following clubs have first "dibs" so to speak:

1) SDMAS
2) NCRMAS
3) MASLAC
4) MASVC
5) SCMAS
6) IEMAS

I have already received confirmation that the first three will participate. The last three pending
If IEMAS has indeed elected to bow out (?) then that leaves at LEAST ONE available immediate opening.

Last edited by ReefMeister2; 11/09/2007 at 10:59 AM.
ReefMeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2007, 10:20 PM   #89
GTR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Quirk
Discussion was had within our club regarding taking a booth at these events. Although we are undecided as of yet, the general consensus is that we will be attending RAP and CFM. Although club exposure IS critical, we believe that our presence may be seen as an endorsement, and we are unable to endorse the other event.

You could have a membership of, say, 10 people, and if they're committed, they can help the club accomplish anything. It's not the numbers that are important IMO: it's the willingness and commitment of the members and leadership that will determine the boundaries any club will have.

With that said, I'll admit I'll pretty much take all the help I can get. As long as I can sleep at night, that is...

FWIW, YMMV...

Does that mean you made your will known to the general membership so you (your club) wont be there. Or does it mean unless someone else (other members) work it your club won't be represented?

The longer this goes on the worse it looks. Sorry, that's the way I see it.

SteveU

Unread 12/10/2007, 11:01 PM   #90
Captain Quirk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration
Does that mean you made your will known to the general membership so you (your club) wont be there. Or does it mean unless someone else (other members) work it your club won't be represented?

The longer this goes on the worse it looks. Sorry, that's the way I see it.

SteveU
I made my position clear on it, that's all.

I think "will" is a misrepresentation ("will" implies force, IMO). It was brought up for discussion with the membership, just as it should be. I only have a vote; whatever the membership wants is what will happen.

The club is a democracy, Steve. Whatever the votes support is what we'll do...

I actually thought this was a dead issue (meaning "picking scabs"). I was enjoying the peace and quiet...

Also, it's "my" club only in that I'm one of the founders, a member, and at this point I'm helping to run it. It is not something I "own"... I just want to be clear on that. Sometimes when I say "my" club people (incorrectly) assume that I think it's "mine"...

I'll also say how genuinely happy I am with the group of people that have been participating in steering committee meetings as well as the attendants (AND ATTENDANCE!) of the meetings. A lot of great people have stepped up, and it's really exciting and rewarding to see so many good people working so hard to make a difference. I'm thankful to be a part of it, frankly. I'm seeing 2008 as a fantastic year for the club. Among other things I'm hopeful that the club becomes a registered NPO in 2K8. I also expect the by-laws to be more clearly defined, as well.

All in all, LOTS Of good things are happening for the club right now... And I couldn't be happier with the way things are going.

Unread 12/11/2007, 09:38 AM   #91
GTR
Registered Member

Ok
I'm happy you're happy.
If you say it's a dead issue I'll believe it until I see otherwise.

SteveU

Unread 03/27/2008, 11:07 PM   #92
wesdaniel
Registered Member

Is the Long Beach Club still running and meeting?

wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2008, 09:43 AM   #93
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

No, it died out long ago

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2008, 09:09 PM   #94
Marcelostank
Premium Member

So where are those of us in the South Bay area supposed to go?... Encino?.... Santa Ana?....

-marcelo-

Current Tank Info: 40g, 20g Sump, 2x95w JBJ, 2 Tunze 6025, Remora, Phosban reactor
Marcelostank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2008, 09:58 PM   #95
Captain Quirk
Registered Member

If there's enough of an interest, just form your OWN club.

It doesn't even have to be formal; it could just be a bunch of people who get together to talk reefing and help each other out...

Being "orphaned" from the big clubs can happen; some areas are more populated than others, obviously. The biggest club nearest us, really, is the Orange County club (SCMAS), however not that many of us that live in the Inland Empire wanted to deal with that drive. So... We built our own club. We not only face the challenges of being a new club (getting steam takes a lot of work!), but we're also spread across a HUGE geographical area... We've thought of even splitting it up more, but that idea lacks a lot in practicality.

Just put some feelers out as to who lives where, then take it a step at a time. If you DO decide to start your own club, drop me a note and I'll forward you a copy of our bylaws and try to give you some tips on what to do (and NOT!).

Bruce

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcelostank
So where are those of us in the South Bay area supposed to go?... Encino?.... Santa Ana?....

Unread 04/01/2008, 03:21 PM   #96
Marcelostank
Premium Member

Sounds like starting a club is WAY to much work for me right now... I'd love to join and support one if anyone around here is interested... but with a kid on the way and my wife and I with brand new companies... don't know if I can invest that much time!....

Captian Quirk...thanks for the info and who knows...maybe this time next year I might have a whole new game plan!!

-marcelo-

Current Tank Info: 40g, 20g Sump, 2x95w JBJ, 2 Tunze 6025, Remora, Phosban reactor
Marcelostank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2008, 10:39 AM   #97
Captain Quirk
Registered Member

SoCal club listings - as of 5/16/2008

Southern California Marine Enthusiast Clubs
Southern California Marine Aquarium Society (SCMAS):
www.scmas.org
Meets the 3rd Friday of every month at 7:00 PM at the IHOP restaurant at 1001 E. 17th. St., Santa Ana
Dues are $30.00 per year. Associate Membership for other club members is $15.

Inland Empire Marine Aquarium Society (IEMAS)
http://www.iemas.us
Meets at 7 PM the 3rd Wednesday of each month at the IHOP near Ontario Mills Every 3rd month an off-site meeting is held; check the site for details.
Membership Dues are $20.00. Associate Membership for other club members is $15.
Membership email: membership@iemas.us
Marine Aquarium Society of Los Angeles County (MASLAC):
www.maslac.org
Meetings are the second Saturday of every month at 6:30 in San Fernando Valley.
Encino Glen Golf Course
16821 Burbank Blvd
Encino, California 91436
(East of Balboa – Park on upper level.)
Membership Dues $30/yr. Associate Membership for other club members is $15.
Membership email: membership@maslac.org
Marine Aquarist Society of Ventura County (MASVC):
www.masvc.org
Meets the 1st Thursday of the month at 7 PM
Baja Fresh Mexican Grill
4726 Telephone Rd
Ventura, CA
Dues are $25 a year.

San Diego Marine Aquarium Society (SDMAS):
www.sdmas.com
San Diego, CA
$35 Dues
We meet once a month, meetings are announced at www.sdmas.com/forums

North County Reef and Marine Aquarium Society (NCRMAS):
http://www.ncrmas.com
North San Diego County, CA
$0 Dues
We meet the 2nd Friday of every month at a different members house.
email: ncrmas@ncrmas.com

Southern California Nano Reef Society (SCNRS)
www.scnrs.com
General location of the membership is in Los Angeles and Orange Counties
$0 dues
Meets once every two months

Unread 06/06/2008, 05:17 PM   #98
d0cdave
Premium Non-Reefer

Please update MASVC's listing. We change our meeting place fairly regularly. It should probably read like SDMAS's listing:

We meet once a month, meetings are announced at www.masvc.org

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Left reef hobby - enjoying my $10/mo power bills (solar!)
d0cdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2008, 02:35 PM   #99
Captain Quirk
Registered Member

Any other changes to this?

We'll be printing and handing out these fliers at RAP in October, so I want to get as current as I can before we print them up.

???

Unread 09/09/2008, 02:53 PM   #100
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Yes, our dues will be lower for next year. Let me find out what they are....wait, doesn't that sound weird coming from the treasurer?

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote