Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2014, 11:49 AM   #1
vikz
Registered Member

Skimmer upgrade for 180G sps reef

hi

i currently own an ATB 840 skimmer with dc airstar pump…(ATB nano B here in europe)

fantastic skimmer and very happy with it, but its xmas time

fancy a change….could you recommend or advise on upgrade

i was thinking

1. bubbleking double cone 180 (same size as my ATB, but only rated at 500l?? cant be right can it?)
2. bubbleking double cone 200 (i think this is too big, but royal exclusiv rate for 1000l)
3. Bubbleking mini 180
4. Vertex Alpha 170
5. Vertex Omega 180i

space and cost is not an issue, so please advise your opinion on most efficient and sex appeal

i think the 200 size will be overkill but according to Royal Exclusiv the 180 cone is too small, but the 180 mini is fine……confused

any advise please???

vikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2014, 12:05 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Double Cone 200 should be a great fit, especially if your bio load is reasonable. Certainly a much better and more stable choice than the Vertex's. The Double Cone 180 would be marginally undersized IMO.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2014, 04:38 PM   #3
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I'm no expert but I personally like my atb better than Bubble Kings I've had in the past. Build quality is the same and I feel the performance is a tad better than BK. My $.02. Enjoy your Xmas!!

Unread 12/07/2014, 12:25 PM   #4
vikz
Registered Member

slief

wouldnt the double cone 200 body be too big??? i understand its an 10" cone, i was always told that a 8" is better??

Unread 12/07/2014, 12:41 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
slief

wouldnt the double cone 200 body be too big??? i understand its an 10" cone, i was always told that a 8" is better??
I don't think the 10" body is an issue at all. The bigger body provides more contact time. If the neck was too large, that would be a different story but the neck diameter is small enough on the DC 200 that I think you would be more than fine.

Your display size puts the DC180 slightly undersized where as your tank is right at the low end for the 200. Between the pump adjustments and sump level, you should be able to dial it in just fine and get very good consistency. Just allow yourself some flexibility in your sump/skimmer level so you can fine tune the water level.

My sump level is controlled by my ATO float switches which I have attached to a magnet scrubber. I can raise or lower them to adjust my sump level to fine tune my skimmer. Then use the wedge pipe for minor adjustments from there. The ability to fine tune my sump level has proved very useful when dialing in my skimmers.

FWIW, I don't really consider the double cone an actual cone skimmer. It has more of a cylindrical lower body and tapered upper body. The DC is more akin to a traditional BK body like the Supermarins than a typical cone skimmer like an Alpha or ATB cone. I run a Supermarin 250 with the RD3 and really love it and I think you will love the Double Cone equally.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 12/08/2014, 11:03 AM   #6
vikz
Registered Member

Thanks slief

I just noticed when you said my "display size"

My total nett volume is 176G (including display and sump and fuge)
Not just display volume.

Display tanks holds probably 125G Nett water after displacement (150G gross)

Does that affect things?

In this case as the double cone 180 is same size as my ATB 840,do you think im undersized currently with my ATB?

Sorry for all the questions, at this price I just want to get it right first time

Unread 12/08/2014, 11:29 AM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks slief

I just noticed when you said my "display size"

My total nett volume is 176G (including display and sump and fuge)
Not just display volume.

Display tanks holds probably 125G Nett water after displacement (150G gross)

Does that affect things?

In this case as the double cone 180 is same size as my ATB 840,do you think im undersized currently with my ATB?

Sorry for all the questions, at this price I just want to get it right first time
That does effect things. With high end skimmers like the Bubble Kings that are properly rated, you should base the skimmer size on the display size since that is where the livestock/bio load is concentrated. As such, I change my recommendation to the Double Cone 180. The 180 will be perfect for your system.

Unread 12/08/2014, 05:02 PM   #8
vikz
Registered Member

Slief

Thanks for the advice. You're clearly very knowledgeable in this.

Much appreciated

Unread 12/09/2014, 08:43 AM   #9
vikz
Registered Member

slief

do you think the double cone 180 is better than the mini 180….looking at them the mini will process more water…..it has a larger pump

is there a significant difference having the pump in/out the body….? space is not an issue for me.

Unread 12/09/2014, 09:56 AM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
slief

do you think the double cone 180 is better than the mini 180….looking at them the mini will process more water…..it has a larger pump

is there a significant difference having the pump in/out the body….? space is not an issue for me.
I prefer the pump outside the body. It makes maintenance much easier.. Every Now and then a snail may find its way into the pump.. Taking the skimmer apart to deal with that isn't ideal and is a pain. I never take my skimmers out of the sump. My last skimmer wasn't touched for 3 years. The pumps on the other hand get removed and cleaned every 4-6 months unless a snail intrudes. As such, I think having the skimmer outside the body is much better. That said, some people don't have the space and as such are limited with what they can use.

I would absolutely get the double cone over the mini. The body design is much better in my opinion. The larger base that tapers towards the top is going to create a better foam head. While the mini may appear to move more water, the DC moves more air and it's the air that creates the bubbles. Also, moving more water isn't always a good thing. The double cone has a larger body volume and the combination of the pump speed and body volume means more contact time which makes the DC 180 more efficient. Also, the RD3 is a far superior pump and easier to adjust. That's is no knock on the Red Dragon in the mini because that too is a great pump. I just really like the RD3. I've got one on my SM250 and it's proven to be much more efficient and easier to dial in that the Red Dragon 1500's I had on my previous skimmer.