Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2008, 11:48 AM   #26
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Thanks for the comments guys!

I think the simplicity of my tank is a big part of its beauty. It basically runs like a freshwater planted tank with-out the CO2.

Here is an unflattering pic showing part of my tanks main filter

I am having a hard time getting close-ups with-out a tripod but I did manage to get a few mid shots so far:

Unread 11/09/2008, 11:49 AM   #27
cloak
Moved On

Very clean.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2008, 12:10 PM   #28
E.intheC
Registered Member

I honestly love this tank.. excellent.. There's two important messages I have taken from this thread: 1.) There are many different roads to the top of the mountain (good saying for many things.. really applies here) and 2.) Patience, education, and observance are the best methods to success.

Great job!

Unread 11/09/2008, 12:34 PM   #29
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

Aquabucket

Nice pics of a beauty of a tank..

It is an insperation for me as I just started a low teck 30g mushroom/sofftie tank on Nov 4th of this year with and it will also have a small bio load so thanks for the proof that it can be done the low teck way

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2008, 12:40 PM   #30
lockekeyy
Registered Member

Very inspiring... Thanks for sharing! Makes me wanna try going with minimal equipment too. I wonder if you can get away with it if you had numerous SPS too.

Unread 11/09/2008, 12:45 PM   #31
Rodrigo_BG
Registered Member

Very nice tank, no doubt about it... Have you ever had any problem with nitrate levels, algae? Have you ever had a Tang specie?

Rodrigo_BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2008, 01:01 PM   #32
GoingPostal
Registered Member

This is really one of my favorite tanks on RC. All my much loved corals and a low tech tank like mine.

Unread 11/09/2008, 03:48 PM   #33
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Thanks for all the great comments! Here is another pic I took before the actinics came on:

Unread 11/09/2008, 04:15 PM   #34
Registered Member

"It basically runs like a freshwater planted tank with-out the CO2."

I think that is the key along with a low bioload. Notice the dense planting one of the tenets of a FW planted tank.

2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2008, 04:19 PM   #35
Stevenx2
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for your pictures. You really have a beautiful tank!!

Stevenx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2008, 04:20 PM   #36
Fish_wiz2
Mangroves are kool.

Just love your color balance! great and very attractive! but what bulbs you using in your fixture (assuming it is T-5's)

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini Seahorse Tank, 2500 gallon Koi pond
Fish_wiz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2008, 04:27 PM   #37
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish_wiz2
Just love your color balance! great and very attractive! but what bulbs you using in your fixture (assuming it is T-5's)
I am running one of each: UVL superactinic, ATI blue plus, ATI aquablue special and a GE 65000K daylight.

Unread 11/09/2008, 04:54 PM   #38
lecher
Registered Member

Nice tank. Is the tank back lit? In some of the pictures it appears to be.

lecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2008, 05:09 PM   #39
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lecher
Nice tank. Is the tank back lit? In some of the pictures it appears to be.
Thanks. Its not backlit. The camera just makes it look that way I guess.

Unread 11/10/2008, 07:15 AM   #40
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodrigo_BG
Very nice tank, no doubt about it... Have you ever had any problem with nitrate levels, algae? Have you ever had a Tang specie?
From the previous page:

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquabucket
The tank has never tested over 3ppm nitrates and typically reads 0. I have never tested for phosphate.
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquabucket I usually have 5 fish though and have raised 2 yellow tangs which were traded out to suitable homes when they reached a certain size. I am currently looking to add another small fish possibly a yellow fang blenny.
I did have a red macro algae problem and that's why I raised the yellow tangs.

I still have the macro algae in spots but there is little room for it to grow now that the corals have grown in and covered most of the LR.

Unread 11/10/2008, 07:43 AM   #41
bebereef
Registered Member

So amazing! "triple "WOW". Thank you for sharing!

bebereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2008, 07:48 AM   #42
almees
Registered Member

Inspiring tank, keep up the great work and pics.

almees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2008, 09:32 AM   #43
bwoody62
Registered Member

This tank is FAKE!!!! All the corals are FAKE!! Actually I have seen this reef in person many many times, and each time I am amazed at how beautiful this tank is. The lighting in unreal, coral placement is perfect, no skimmer, no anything, just simplicity at its best. Anyone close in the area needs to see this in person as the pics (hard to believe) don't do this 40 gal. reef justice!! I wish my 210 looked as nice as this....NICE Spike!

bwoody62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2008, 10:34 AM   #44
Electrobes
Montipora type guy

I honestly wish I could see this tank in person.. been a fan of Aquabucket's tank for a while. You definitely have my vote for next months TOTM.

Current Tank Info: 100G Half Cylinder
Electrobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2008, 07:43 PM   #45
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Thanks guys!

bwoody62 ~ Thanks woody! I did get some flack on another reef site with them accusing me of cleaning up the tank for pictures and having the shots photoshopped. This time I had a reef buddy over watching me take the pics and put them on the screen for comparison.

Electrobes ~ Thanks again my friend! Its an honor just to think I should be nominated but TOTM is reserved for much better tanks than mine.

I'd love to have a full blown SPS tank with LED lighting someday but unfortunately something like that is way beyond my payscale right now.

Unread 11/10/2008, 08:15 PM   #46
ihopss
Premium Member

Very nice tank & photos.

ihopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2008, 08:24 PM   #47
2_zoa
Registered Member

First, very nice tank and that hardly scratches the surface. I am building a 20L and I was given the link to your thread just in time. On this build I can still go several different ways and not even have to blink. I should tell you that I am new to this so I have a lot of research to do but I have some questions for you.

If I wanted to run a sump or build my own chamber on the back of the tank would the extra water volume be a bad thing since there would not be any large amounts of LR to water volume?

I thought I caught that you use distilled water, is that right?

I know that is the plastic in the front of the light but do you have any more on the tank to cover it up? maybe a pic?

I also saw that you run the actinics for 5 hrs a day, what is the rest of your lighting schedule?

Just how far do you let things go to let you know when you should change the water?

What brand of two part do you dose?

and last one is,
what exactly does not running the lights for three days every couple of months do?

Thank you in advance.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2008, 09:10 PM   #48
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Thanks guys!

2_zoa ~ I'll answer your questions in order for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2_zoa
If I wanted to run a sump or build my own chamber on the back of the tank would the extra water volume be a bad thing since there would not be any large amounts of LR to water volume?

I thought I caught that you use distilled water, is that right?

I know that is the plastic in the front of the light but do you have any more on the tank to cover it up? maybe a pic?

I also saw that you run the actinics for 5 hrs a day, what is the rest of your lighting schedule?

Just how far do you let things go to let you know when you should change the water?

What brand of two part do you dose?

and last one is,
what exactly does not running the lights for three days every couple of months do?

Thank you in advance.
Adding a sump or a chamber to achieve more water volume would be a good thing for a number of reasons.

Yes I used distilled water only and have been for close to 5 years now. I know the factory where it comes from and it always reads 0 TDS.

The tank is open in the back. My fish tend to stay in the front of the tank. I have yet to lose one to carpet surfing.

My mid day bulbs are an ATI aquablue special and a GE 6500K daylight

I really don't see anything that makes me need to do a water change anymore. I just do them for fear of depleting trace elements and things I can't test for.

I use Kent Tech CB 2 part for calcium and alk. (I get it at wholesale) Magnesium is made by a fellow reefer who uses one of Randy's formulas. Otherwise I use Kent Tech for mag too.

I do 3-day black-outs more than I do water changes. I do them every couple of months to clear up the tank and give my corals a rest.

Here is a long thread all about it.

Feel free to keep the questions coming and good luck with your 20L!

Unread 11/10/2008, 10:04 PM   #49
2_zoa
Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. As for the flow of my build I have a quite one 4000 HH That should return about 6-700 GPH after 4' of head, do you think this will be enough flow? If I just build a section on the back of the tank for the pump to overflow into then it will give 900 GPH. I figure half the volume in the display as yours half the flow but with more volume of tank water.

Also thanks for the link I scanned the first few pages I will look more in depth tomorrow. You weren't kidding, it is quite lengthy, I think I saw 39 pages.

I was thinking of using t5 lighting for the tank, In your opinion how much do you think I should buy. I am sure they are too big but I can't pass the deal up I am getting two ice cap 660 ballasts from a guy at work for 50 bucks for the pair and they are brand new in the box.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2008, 10:27 PM   #50
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquabucket

Electrobes ~ Thanks again my friend! Its an honor just to think I should be nominated but TOTM is reserved for much better tanks than mine.
I think this should easily win TOTM sometime. Your being modest

The reason I personally think this should be a TOTM besides the obvious beauty (which rivals ANY sps tank I have seen), is that you are doing things differently and without equipment which means your patients and husbandry is top notch.

I think far too often TOTM is about size, equipment, and just overall grandness of a system instead of simplistic beauty like this. Although the one nice thing about TOTM is that the nominated tanks all have owners with exceptional husbandry skills and a great knowledge of the hobby. It seems that years ago, simple and smaller tanks (even a few softie tanks ) actually had a chance to win TOTM. Lately if its not sps dominated (they all have looked the same most of this year) it doesn't have much of a chance.

After saying all that though, your tank doesn't need TOTM for everyone to KNOW how amazing it is

I know it has inspired my current skimmerless/sumpless build.

Keep up the good work!

JustinReef is offline   Reply With Quote