Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2004, 05:34 PM   #101
gqjeff
Moved On

ttt

gqjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2004, 12:52 PM   #102
gqjeff
Moved On

any new updates or water quality problems? I have a gallon of this stuff and I am thinking of doing it this weekend. Anybody?

Unread 09/13/2004, 05:44 AM   #103
Oddjob
Registered Member

Any updates on the faux sand beds?

Everybody still doing well?

I'm considering using this method myself.

Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2004, 09:35 AM   #104
gqjeff
Moved On

I would like to hear also.. I am planningon doing it this week.. Didn't have time this past weekend...

Unread 09/13/2004, 10:16 AM   #105
deansreef
Registered Member

tagging along

Current Tank Info: 225 gallon peninsula
deansreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2004, 10:33 AM   #106
bonerfortuna
Premium Member

I have done something like this. I used regular aquarium safe silicone that I smeared over starboard and then put sand on it before it cured. I looks great , very natural , and is made of two tested safe known aquarium components. It holds up agst a garden hose test so I think it will be good with my Tunze. It hasnt been tested other than that yet as I am stiil assembling the tank. Can anyone think of any problems using this method. ill have some pics to post later. Peter

Current Tank Info: 70 Semi-Circle reef with a 50 Sump
bonerfortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2004, 03:45 PM   #107
Oddjob
Registered Member

Peter:
I have no experience with any of these faux sand beds, but I don't see any problems with your method, as long as the silicone adheres well to the starboard.

Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2004, 08:06 PM   #108
mattydub
Registered Member

why silicone to starboard? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I mean you should have just siliconed to the glass on the bottom of the tank.

Current Tank Info: 26g Bowfront softies, 90g SPS
mattydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2004, 05:14 AM   #109
bonerfortuna
Premium Member

The starboard serves as a buffer to protect the glass in case of a rockfall or inadvertant dropping of something while working in the tank. It also allows you to do the work away from the tank and it is removable if need be .Now Im considering methods to attach a few random pieces of dry rock to the back wall. Im thinking about using some acrylic right angle pieces to use as shelving. they will likely be siliconed to the back wall and small random dry pieces will be siliconed to the shelves. Its a lot easier to aquascape a dry tank,at least the basic ideas. Peter

Unread 09/14/2004, 06:08 AM   #110
mattydub
Registered Member

hmmm....not to discourage your ideas, but from all my reading on here, if you don't silicone the starboard to the sides of the glass then you're going to have nutrients trapped under the board. Also, silicone doesn't make a strong bond between glass and acrylic, so be careful with those shelves! Good luck though, sounds like it will be a neat tank...

Unread 09/14/2004, 06:32 AM   #111
bonerfortuna
Premium Member

I gonna attempt to post a photo of the starboard sandbed.

Unread 09/14/2004, 06:37 AM   #112
bonerfortuna
Premium Member

That makes sense Mattydub, I think Ill have to silicone in the tiny gaps at the edge. I know the shelves will be difficult,Im prepared to have an alternate plan for them.My plan is coming to fruition very slowly so Im not in any hurry to rush and make any errors. Thanks for your input.

Unread 09/14/2004, 08:01 AM   #113
gqjeff
Moved On

I did the epoxy in a 10 gallon test tank last night.. I mixed the epoxy then poured it in the tank and then poured the sand on top. It looked good this morning but has allot of loose sand on the top. I then tried mixing the sand into the mixture and then pouring it on a piece of cardboard to see how that looks. That looked really good also and the sand is completly sealed down. I am going to go this route when I do my 240. I am just worried about doing such a large area. I am going to use acrylic to fill in the center of the 240 inside of the bracing so it is level. I am then going to silicon around the edge to keep anything from getting underneath. I would like to do this with the tank on the floor but I am worried if I add another 100-200lbs we will not be able to move the tank hahahah.... Oh yea I plan on leaning the tank back to give it an illusion of a deep sand bed.

Peace, jeff

Unread 09/14/2004, 05:31 PM   #114
mattydub
Registered Member

lean back should be left to the terror squad!

Quote:
Originally posted by gqjeff
.... Oh yea I plan on leaning the tank back to give it an illusion of a deep sand bed.

Peace, jeff
WOaH there cowboy, how are you planning on "leaning the tank back"? I mean you do know that if you tilt the tank it will exponentially increase the amount of stress on the glass and cause wet floor syndrome right? I'm ***-u-me-ing that you mean you're going to use more epoxy in the back end than in the front...but you never know what people mean when they type

don't lean the tank, it HAS to be level.

Paz

Unread 09/14/2004, 08:04 PM   #115
DerekW
Registered Member

Paz, I took it as meaning he would lean the tank back when he put the epoxy in, not when it was filled with water

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.

Current Tank Info: 220, 4x250w mh, 4x110w actinics CS12-2 RC , 75 gallon sump, Calcium reactor, DIY 36" Kalkwasser reactor
DerekW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2004, 08:35 AM   #116
mattydub
Registered Member

derek, paz means peace in spanish, but I can see how that would be confusing....=)

GQjeff...sorry I read into that wrong...leaning it back to get a DSB look will be definitely cool, and then you'll automatically have a nice little 45-or-so degree angle to see clams better! Great idea...

Unread 09/15/2004, 08:36 AM   #117
mattydub
Registered Member

sorry if we've been hijacking this thread...really we're just BUMPING it until we get some updates on tank parameters! How bout some more photos? !!!

Unread 09/18/2004, 08:57 PM   #118
Macimage
Registered Member

Hi Matt,

I have the exact same pico reef. I've purchased the envirotex and would like to do the same thing.

Did you mix the mixture up in the tank and then pour the sand on it? Or did you put the sand in the tank and then seal it with the mixture that was mixed up in another container? Or did you put the mixture and the sand it and then mix everything?

Please let me know how you did it, as it came out great.

Thanks,
Joyce

Macimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2004, 10:08 PM   #119
reeftechie
Moved On

gqjeff,

I know he did this yesterday. He is going to send me some pics, I will post them as soon as I get them. I am going to do the same thing in my 230. Mix the sand with the Epoxy, pour it in, let it cure then add another layer of epoxy so that way the sand wont blow around and you wont know the difference.

RT

reeftechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2004, 10:26 PM   #120
lovetoreef
Registered Member

RT

did he (and do you) plan on placing a layer of cuttingboard/starboard on the bottom below the epoxy/sand layer to protect the glass, or do you feel that the epoxy layer will protect the glass from the pressure of the rock?

thanks.

Current Tank Info: planning nano AIO
lovetoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2004, 06:10 AM   #121
mattydub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lovetoreef
RT

did he (and do you) plan on placing a layer of cuttingboard/starboard on the bottom below the epoxy/sand layer to protect the glass, or do you feel that the epoxy layer will protect the glass from the pressure of the rock?

thanks.
well I just finished doing this on a little 10g hex I got at a garage sale. It's okay looking...I mixed play sand in with the epoxy, then poured it in the tank. To be honest it looks a little like mud, but it seems to dry pretty well, the top layer is sand and it's held on pretty well. I'll do some water tests and then we'll see. No starboard, don't see the point. I'll post pics later...

Unread 09/24/2004, 01:01 PM   #122
gqjeff
Moved On

I did it and I have some pics in my gallery.. Mine turned out perfect in my 240.. I had some friends over and they didn't even know it was solid until I had them touch it.. the key is to dry some sand and then put it in a strainer and sift the sand over the epoxy with sand in it.. If you don't it will have a milky appearane like the mud I think he is talking about.. This is from the dust in the sand mixing with the clear epoxy.. Click on my gallery if you want to see the finished result.. AWESOME in one word.

Peace, Jeff

Unread 09/24/2004, 08:28 PM   #123
Macimage
Registered Member

How many oz. or bottles did it take for your 240? How many inches deep is it??

Joyce

Macimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2004, 08:50 PM   #124
DSparks
Registered Member

I'm still a noob, so forgive my nooby noob-ness . . .

Isn't a live sand bed beneficial? From my < 1 year experience, I was under the impression that the live sand bed contained much of the tiny stuff that helps stabilize the tank. Someone straighten me out here

DSparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2004, 09:48 PM   #125
gqjeff
Moved On

alot of debates about DSB's lately. I will run a DSB in my fuge so I can change it out every couple of yrs before it gets saturated with phosphates and leeches back into the tank. I used about 100 oz's of the stuff. I owuld say its a good 1/4-1/2" cause of the extra sand you will sift on top. Do a search about BB tanks. bare bottom.

Peace, Jeff