Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 12/17/2010, 02:57 AM   #1
cloak
Moved On

more tang arguments

Does the tang look ok? If so, buy it. There's no reason it/or any fish should be getting sick in your DT. This is the BEST environment you can provide. It should heal in all reality. When it does gets bigger, do the right thing and give it to someone else on this thread.

A step up is always good... 20/40/60/80...

Unread 12/17/2010, 03:20 AM   #2
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak View Post
Does the tang look ok? If so, buy it. There's no reason it/or any fish should be getting sick in your DT. This is the BEST environment you can provide. It should heal in all reality. When it does gets bigger, do the right thing and give it to someone else on this thread.

A step up is always good... 20/40/60/80...
This post is so full of everything that's wrong in this hobby it just makes me angry.

Unread 12/17/2010, 03:25 AM   #3
cloak
Moved On

If it's not right, it's wrong. +/-

Addition by subtraction is a horrible reality sometimes...

Unread 12/17/2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Floowid
Registered Member

more tang arguments

I unashamedly have a yellow tang in my 75 gallon tank. I put him straight in there from the store. He is fine, happy, thriving, and so are all of his tankmates.

Unread 12/17/2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

And you are advising that new hobbyists do this...because?
Because you care and want them to start out with no inbuilt problems?
Or?
Please, if you want to experiment with your fish and want to argue, take yourselves to the Advanced forum where at least people will post with some knowledge base.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.

Last edited by Sk8r; 12/17/2010 at 05:03 PM.
Unread 12/17/2010, 05:29 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Moved from another thread. This is New to the Hobby.

Unread 12/17/2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Floowid
Registered Member

This is a forum for the sharing of experiences and opinions. In my opinion what I have done is not incorrect, and it works fine. The guy came here asking if he could and/or should put a yellow tang in his 75 gallon. He got your opinion, and many here seem to share that opinion. I shared my opinion, and it is counter to what you and many experts say, I understand that. I wouldn't have piped up unless I deemed it would be helpful to hear from someone who has a differing opinion. Nowhere do I state that it is an "experiment" or that I wish to argue. Where is the argument?

I will however make one addendum to the rather flippant opinion I expressed earlier. I did not just pop into any ol' fish store and plunk down $44 for any ol' fish to be dropped into a brand new tank. I went to a local fish store that I trust, purchased a fish that I had my eye on for a month, and added him properly to a well established tank. So I stand by my opinion, but accept any and all chastisment for the manner in which I presented it.

Unread 12/17/2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

And I apologize for getting a little heated for a moment, Floowid. You're careful, you've got a big sump and skimmer oxygenating that fellow, and I understand, too, that 75 is the recently recommended gallonage, so yes, people who've been there a while are going on what was standard when they bought their tank, so I am not worried about your situation. We're not attacking people who are on the old standard: we're trying to better a situation by coming to the people who are just getting in...so yes, your experience makes a difference. Buying healthy is a matter of judgement, and your chances are lightyears better because of it.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 12/17/2010, 06:22 PM   #9
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Im confused, has this thread been pieced together?

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
Unread 12/17/2010, 07:24 PM   #10
streak
Reef Madness!

It seems it was plucked outta some where this is the second time in a week i have come across this.. but the other one was closed in like a day.. I wish the mods would at least put a link to the original Thread..

Current Tank Info: 10g nano with 2 clowns 1 Royal Gorama 1 RBTA!
Unread 12/17/2010, 07:37 PM   #11
tkeracer619
Registered Member

This is stupid.

Unread 12/17/2010, 07:49 PM   #12
scubasteve06
Jeeper Reefer

Such horrible advice...I feel sorry for the NTTH folks.

Unread 12/17/2010, 07:53 PM   #13
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floowid View Post
I unashamedly have a yellow tang in my 75 gallon tank. I put him straight in there from the store. He is fine, happy, thriving, and so are all of his tankmates.
how big is he and how long has he been there?

Unread 12/17/2010, 08:06 PM   #14
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Never mind its not worth making an *** out of myself.

Unread 12/17/2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Misled
RC Mod

FWIW, and this is my opinion. For those of you getting into the hobby of reef keeping, (this is the New To The Hobby forum, not Reef Discussion), please don't put tangs in your reefs early on. Also please don't put specimens in your tank without a quarantine period. While some may get away with it and brag about it, it may set off things that decimate your tank. Just read through the threads here about tanks getting ich, tanks crashing and corals dying. It normally goes back to adding something without a QT period, or trying to add something that doesn't fit.

Most of us are here to help get you through and not make mistakes we've either made or know someone that has.

Unread 12/17/2010, 10:24 PM   #16
BobNY
Registered Member

Back when I first started in this hobby I knew that Quarantining all new additions was he right thing to do, but yet I didn't do it. I had great luck and went for quite a while without any problems. Then after one addition the inevitable happened...Yep...Ich. I was lucky that at the time it was a fish only tank and I was able to fo Hypo in the DT. Still, I lost 2 fish and it was a horrible expirience. If that was a reef tank it would have been WAY worse.
I am now setting up a 125g that will be my first reef system. With the lessons I learned in the past there is no way I would ever put a fish in my tank without a proper QT period.
I think it is pretty safe to say if you dont QT your new additions you will eventually end up with a disease in your tank. So basically the choices are...QT a fish when first purchased, or put it in your DT first then QT him (and all your fish) when the problem shows up.
It is so easy to avoid the problems introducing sick fish into your tank can cause. I have been there. I sure wish I used a quarantine tank back then, It was a lesson I wont ever forget.

Unread 12/18/2010, 09:26 AM   #17
Sk8r
RC Mod

Unfortunately, sooner or later, you get the fish that's got it. This is far more likely to happen to a new guy who doesn't know how to assess the overall health of a fish---but even experts get surprised, when the stuff turns out to ride in inside the gills, where its hidden. That's strike one.
Strike two, is when the new guy doesn't recognize it instantly for what it is when it shows up. 24 hour delay figuring it out can be a serious time loss.
Strike three, the new guy has a crowded tank.
Strike four, the water quality is somewhere south of good, and especially the alkalinity and ph are off, which irritates the fish.
Strike five, the new guy, now realizing he has ich, has never had to catch a fish in his tank, and the prolonged chase worsens water quality, stresses everybody, plus he only catches the one fish instead of everybody: his qt isn't large enough for everybody, he doesn't know tricks like eggcrate for dividers, and it just gets to be a sadder and sadder story fast.

You can do variants of this, including the new guy deciding to dose his display tank with some cure, and pretty soon you have somebody quitting the hobby.

This includes the guy with the beautiful huge system who's dodged the bullet for 3 years---and gets the Trojan horse fish that brings it to just about everybody; or the guy who's got no extra room in his apartment who is going to have to live with five hospital/qt tanks for 8 weeks for his largish fish while he starves it out of his display.

PLEASE read the stickies on this topic. It's such a killer, particularly for clowns (who also have their own patented clown disease: brook), tangs, angels, and rabbits (I swear, rabbits are born with it.) And it's so very simple to diagnose and treat if the fish is in qt, and so complicated if it's in your tank.

Unread 12/18/2010, 09:55 AM   #18
Sk8r
RC Mod

And let me add: I have had to advise 2 people this morning that, yes, they have ich, and in both cases, ---it is in their display tank.
You wonder why your mods and RC team members stress quarantine sooooooooooo much. We all have to break the news sooooooooo often to people who are not going to want to hear this. I have now, this morning, created an ich treatment blog post. Snorvich has one of the most complete what-is-ich posts, and it's probably on his blog.

Unread 12/18/2010, 10:02 AM   #19
TankStuds
Registered Member

Excuse me Sk8r, but I hope you are not referring to my hippo tang having ICK, as it doesnt, thank you. It has a scratch and like i said, was purchased from a reputable, trusted friend and a fish who I have had my eye on for over a month (hence the no quarentne). and you can disagree without my doing a quarentine and thats fine but please dont say my fish has Ick, not very nice.

Unread 12/18/2010, 10:07 AM   #20
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
And let me add: I have had to advise 2 people this morning that, yes, they have ich, and in both cases, ---it is in their display tank.
You wonder why your mods and RC team members stress quarantine sooooooooooo much. We all have to break the news sooooooooo often to people who are not going to want to hear this. I have now, this morning, created an ich treatment blog post. Snorvich has one of the most complete what-is-ich posts, and it's probably on his blog.
Thanks Sk8r. The ich writeup is now on my blog. What concerns me most in reading this thread is NOT ich (cryptocaryon irritans) but velvet Amlyoodinium/oodinium. If you get this in your display tank, you will almost certainly lose all of your fish. No ifs, ands, or buts. It can be treated but not by those methods most often used by aquarists (especially in this forum); hypo will not work, copper will work but not before your fish is finished. it requires fresh water and formalin baths. So, if you do NOT quarantine, one of these diseases will eventually get you.

Unread 12/18/2010, 11:05 AM   #21
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankStuds View Post
Excuse me Sk8r, but I hope you are not referring to my hippo tang having ICK, as it doesnt, thank you. It has a scratch and like i said, was purchased from a reputable, trusted friend and a fish who I have had my eye on for over a month (hence the no quarentne). and you can disagree without my doing a quarentine and thats fine but please dont say my fish has Ick, not very nice.
I don't think she was saying that your tang had ick. In your thread she said that it was nice that you had someone that could QT it for you. Ease up, there are a lot of tang threads on here where people do have ick.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
Unread 12/18/2010, 11:10 AM   #22
Sk8r
RC Mod

Interesting and appalling about velvet, snorvich. It's a disease I've never had to cope with: scary stuff!

Unread 12/18/2010, 11:13 AM   #23
TankStuds
Registered Member

Yes, she did say that it was nice that they were already quarentend but that was after my post here. Lets ask her, were you referring to my fish Sk8r? Im sure you wouldnt like people saying your fish had Ick if they didnt. Thats not very nice

Unread 12/18/2010, 11:14 AM   #24
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Interesting and appalling about velvet, snorvich. It's a disease I've never had to cope with: scary stuff!
It is scary stuff. I put a write up on that one on my blog as well. I simply hate to see people lose their hard earned display tank when it can be prevented. It is also why I normally quarantine ONE fish at a time; the exception being if two new fish shared water at their source.

Unread 12/18/2010, 11:23 AM   #25
syrinx
Registered Member

Yeah its funny how many people and shops don`t even understand the definition of QT "a period of forced isolation".

Closed Thread