Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Yunghov
Registered Member

Freshwater lighting DIY arduino

Hey guys, not sure if you can help or if this is the right place, pls forgive me in advance. I was turned on this site by a friend, and was amazed at the vast knowledge and friendly community it was.

Some background I have a 120g fw tank with some fish and African driftwood. I do not have any corals or rocks or plants. I didn't go saltwater as everyone suggested because I was afraid of sw being too much weight on a second story as I am, for the unit under me. So I figured I would be safe with fw and running my tank along the cross beams of my townhouse.
I've searched researched and googled and YouTube but could find the exact answers so I came here.

So I want to use leds for lighting my tank, but since I am not growing anything can I use straw hat leds for lighting purposes or will they not be strong enough to penetrate through the water. If so do I have to use heat sinks? I know Crees or smds I would and also cause algae.

I would like to use my arduino uno. Can I do sunrise/sunset, lightning storm, and moonlighting with dimming capabilities on the uno? I noticed everyone using the mega or due. WHY IS THAT? I would have cool white and royal blue leds or whatever you guys suggest. This is just for ascetics and a fun project. Sorry for the lengthy thread and a lot of questions but thank you in advanced.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.7 KB, 31 views)
Yunghov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2014, 08:09 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

its a fish only freshwater tank.. so you don't need any lights at all.. and there is NO need to do sunrise/sunset/moonlights/storms/lightning..
(even on SW coral tanks most of that is just for "show")

All you need is to be able to turn on a light to see the fish.. thats it.
IMO stick with a few fluorescent tubes and call it a day..

I don't see the point in having high power LED's in a fish only FW tank..
If you wanted to use gumdrop/straw hat LED's you would need a few hundred to cover the tank all with their associated resistors just wasting electricity/putting of some heat. Seems totally silly to me..

Unread 01/29/2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Yunghov
Registered Member

Thanks mcguvr, I just like the idea of those features. Plus I figured low wattage would create soo much heat and energy and have to use a ton of them. Can I use the audrino to turn my fluorescent tubes on and off. And also dimming if possible.

Unread 01/29/2014, 03:55 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

what mcgyvr said. And - FWIW - the difference in weight between SW and FW is not enough to make any difference at all. If a SW tank of a given size is not safe wherever it sits, neither will a FW!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Yunghov
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
what mcgyvr said. And - FWIW - the difference in weight between SW and FW is not enough to make any difference at all. If a SW tank of a given size is not safe wherever it sits, neither will a FW!!!
I thought sw was much heavier. Thank you

Unread 02/04/2014, 08:40 PM   #6
Yunghov
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
its a fish only freshwater tank.. so you don't need any lights at all.. and there is NO need to do sunrise/sunset/moonlights/storms/lightning..
(even on SW coral tanks most of that is just for "show")

All you need is to be able to turn on a light to see the fish.. thats it.
IMO stick with a few fluorescent tubes and call it a day..

If you wanted to use gumdrop/straw hat LED's you would need a few hundred to cover the tank all with their associated resistors just wasting electricity/putting of some heat. Seems totally silly to me..
Can the arduino uno power t8 lights, and temp monitor.

Unread 02/06/2014, 04:03 PM   #7
rbarn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The ability to dim the lights, shimmer, low power consumption and heat output. There's plenty of points to go LED with fish only FW.

rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arduino, freshwater, led, lighting, storm