Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2008, 08:10 PM   #1
watson_barrett
Registered Member

SPS tanks and clean up crews

I have to admit it's been a good year since i've added any additional snails and crabs. Just wondering if they are needed for a SPS tank. Personally i hate them b/c they end up knocking stuff over but if i absolutely need them i will get some more.

I probably have maybe 20-30 of the tiny tiny tiny snails that burrow, 5 larger ones and probably 7-10 crabs....

watson_barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 09:52 PM   #2
johnny313
Registered Member

I have a 65g and I just bought 100 cerith snails and 35 Astreas. what size tank do you have? DSB or BB?

johnny313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 10:35 PM   #3
watson_barrett
Registered Member

do you have a reef tank?

92GBF, Mostly SPS but mixed reef right now, apx 4-5" bed, 1 burrowing fish

watson_barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 11:05 PM   #4
TomRep
Registered Member

I have a 50 breeder that is pretty much a mixed reef, mostly zoas at the moment but will be mostly sps. I have about 200 mini ceriths, 15 Florida Cerith's (large), 25 or so Nassarius snails, 10 LARGE Nerites, probably 30 or so Planaxis snails, and a couple scarlet hermits. Sand bed is a little over and inch deep under normal conditions, but due to flow varies from 0-3" at spots. Only fish in the tank right now are a single Chromis and two juvi Onyx clowns (<1")

Current Tank Info: 50 breeder w/o sump mixed reef, sps dominant. NEP T5 fixture with no stock bulbs, Bermuda Rogue HOB skimmer, canister filter, DIY hang on fuge, 2x modded MJ400's, Tunze Osmolator ATO, Randy's 2 part dosed with and Aquamedic twin
TomRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 09:39 AM   #5
GatorWPB
Registered Member

snails can be annoying, knocking frags off my rack, but I feel they are a neccessity. Im not a fan of hermits because they kill the snails, who do the real work on any algae. So the hermits get tossed to the fuge.
I have about 30 each of nassarius, cerith, and astrea, about 15 nerite and 2 mexican turbos. These numbers were about 1 year ago, so there are less now, but I would still approximate about 75 snails total in my sps dominated 65g.

GatorWPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 10:09 AM   #6
kaserpick
Keeping it Simple

I'm with Gator; I would stick to snails instead of hermits. Hermits seem like they could be a potential risk, and they like to eat the poor snails. Also, like Gator said, snails do most of the work. If you're looking for something to eat left overs, don't go for hermits. Nassarius snails love meaty left overs.

I have a 65g AGA as well, and I keep about 36 astreas, 24 nerites, 4 margaritas and 1 mexican turbo (he managed to sneak in on the LR). The tank is SPS dominated.

Current Tank Info: None
kaserpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Paul_PSU
Moved On

If you get the red leg cortez hermits they work really well. They do not seem to bother the snails like the other hermits. They will crawl
on the frags and eat the algae around it on the plugs. They also cleaned up algae on my rocks that my snails never touched. IMO they are way more efficient for the rocks.

http://www.garf.org/algae2/janitor.html

Paul_PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 10:26 AM   #8
SunnyX
Moved On

I believe they are not needed for a successful reef.

I have two snails and two serpent stars in my tank. My tank is too clean anyway to support a population of cleaners.

SunnyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Paul_PSU
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyX
I believe they are not needed for a successful reef.

I have two snails and two serpent stars in my tank. My tank is too clean anyway to support a population of cleaners.
Oh sure, but for those of us that don't have a picture perfect TOTM we can use all the help we can get... I agree Sunny, I use less and less cuc as my tank gets better. I only have about a dozen snails, 2 serpent stars, 15 of the hermits I mentioned above. That is at least half of what I had 9 months ago.

Paul

Paul_PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Todd March
Premium Member

I'm with Sonny, I have 3 Nassarius, 5 Ceriths, and couple of Turbos and Trochus. in my 85g they all have to work to find algae food sources. Plus lately at night I see that my hitch hiker Stomatella snail population has exploded, which is making things that much harder for everyone trying to find algae (including my tang and blenny). If your tank is clean and relatively algae free, you need very little algae eating cleaners. Detritus cleaners like Nassarius can be more useful if you have fish and feed fairly well...

Current Tank Info: Rimless Starfire 85g SPS (36" x 26" x 21"): ATI Powermodule 10 x 39W, ATB Small Cone, RK2, Vortech MP40W, 6025 Stream modded, MAG 9.5 return, Balling
Todd March is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 11:27 AM   #11
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Mine ( 58 gallon ) doesn't have many at all either. I think I have 6 nass, a couple of Trochus and one or two Turbos. Used to have more, but they died -- assuming from lack of food -- since I haven't noticed any real change in the amount of algae I haven't bothered to buy any more.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 11:35 AM   #12
Logzor
Registered Member

about 1000 strombus grazers - takes some time for them to breed to that many. I started with 85 in my new tank, a month later there must be 100's more and I see 15 new eggs sacs a day that each will hatch around 5 snails.

They may be tiny but they never stop and they and eat a lot for how small they are. Not to mention once you have a nice stock you never have to replace them as new generations will replace the oldies and the sickies.

Logzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2008, 11:36 AM   #13
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_PSU
Oh sure, but for those of us that don't have a picture perfect TOTM we can use all the help we can get... I agree Sunny, I use less and less cuc as my tank gets better. I only have about a dozen snails, 2 serpent stars, 15 of the hermits I mentioned above. That is at least half of what I had 9 months ago.

Paul

SunnyX is offline   Reply With Quote