Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2014, 07:26 AM   #351
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, JLynn. I'm liking the lighting as well. Feels pretty natural, like the 'mangrove tree' is shading the right end of the tank.

The Lookdowns aren't a done deal, for sure, but I sure would love to try them! I've got to make sure my gyre flow is sufficient to keep them happy, while at the same time not have all my plants ripped out of the sand. I haven't even turned on my main pump yet to see how it all works! They'll be the last fish I add, so plenty of time to work it out.

I'd definitely start with small ones, so even if they get too big, I'll at least have them them for the interim. Maybe I can work out a 'trade down' deal with my LFS to grow them, then trade the large for small ones…

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2014, 08:30 AM   #352
karimwassef
Registered Member

Gnat eating flatworms sound great but they might eat pods too?

Your tank looks great. Remember the aluminum foil branches and empty water bottles? Now a unique biotope. Like nature reclaiming a landfill, LOL.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2014, 12:18 PM   #353
karimwassef
Registered Member

By the way, I use diatomaceous powder for insect control in my garage (not many other options). Maybe I have silica loaded gnats?

Unread 10/10/2014, 01:08 PM   #354
apuhl20
Registered Member

Where did you get your seagrass from?

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef, 70g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank. 300g total system.
apuhl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2014, 07:21 PM   #355
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, Karim. I remember the early phases of the tank build, with the fake root and then another DIY project, then another. It kinda snow-balled…

But I'm happy with the results, and it's still all holding together, so that's good.

Unread 10/12/2014, 07:23 PM   #356
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hi, apuhl20. Got some from Florida pets, and some from Live aquaria.

Unread 10/13/2014, 08:40 AM   #357
JLynn
Registered Member

Out of curiousity: what does the timeline for stocking look like right now? When are you planning on adding your fish and corals? (Or do you have a plan for that at all?)

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2014, 11:25 AM   #358
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's a great question. I think everyone should have a plan for their tank. From cleanup crews, to fish species' order of introduction, to plants and inverts. A good plan is the difference between a 'nightmare experience', and 'smooth sailing'. Having a plan is essential to getting what you want out of your tank. And the order of introduction, is critical for building a harmonious fish community. I penned an article on the subject, about seven years ago, for "Fresh Water and Marine Aquarium" magazine, titled 'Harmonious Convergence'.

So yes, JLynn, I do have a plan for stocking. It's more of a sequence, rather than a time line, though. I guess you could say I'm going by feel, rather than time. Not that I'm ignoring it. Time is just one of several factors I'm considering.

The tank is at 3 weeks now. This is probably the most 'toxic' moment in the tank's life, somewhere near the middle of cycling. The plants (and algae) are doing well right now, but I'm hesitant to add any animals. The snails are at day 5, and I'm trying to decide when and if to add more herbivores. So at this point, I'm watching the tank, and trying to learn where it is (in the nitrogen cycle) and what it needs.

Sequence:

Add more cleanup crew members as needed.
Cure uncured caribbean live rock, externally. Add to tank.
Add 7 Sunshine Chromis.
Add 7 Royal Grammas.
Add 6 Chalk Bass.
Add 1 Horned Blenny.
Add 1 Atlantic Blue Tang, small, yellow phase.
Add 4 Cherub Angel fish.
Add 2 Lookdowns.

So that's basically it. Somewhere along the way, after cycling, I'll introduce the inverts, which will include gorgonia, sponge and anemone species, specific to the Caribbean.

Figuring out the detrivore/herbivore numbers, will be the trickiest part. For example, right now, algae is taking off, and 20 snails doesn't seem near enough to handle it. But I don't want to have too many 'cleaners' when the tank settles down. I'm very tempted to get that Blenny in there, but I don't want it to be the first fish in the tank. I may bring in a 'temp' for this job. I'm considering adding a single Molly, for algae control. When its 'work' is done, It'll go into the quarantine tank.

I'm also playing around with adding more pods and maybe some feeder shrimp.

Notable absentees on the list are Butterflyfish and Silversides. I'd love to have butterflies, but they eat anemones, which are more important to me for this tank. I was very excited when it was pointed out that there is a source for Silversides. The problem with them is they are voracious planktivores. I hope to maintain a large population of plankton in the tank, which will be hard enough, with an already planktivore-heavy fish list.

Adding live rock so late in the sequence is unusual, but in this tank, live rock is more for species diversification, rather than filtration. I'm only adding 25 pounds - a very small amount, compared to reef tanks. With a planted tank, the plants are doing most of the filtering, so live rock is much less important-even unnecessary. I'm most interested in what comes along with the live rock, as in Caribbean-specific pods, worms, plants, etc.

So, I do have a plan, but I'm open to suggestions!

Unread 10/13/2014, 11:33 AM   #359
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Live rock is a game changer for the microfauna ecology of your tank, in the best way possible! So many little critters on there!

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2014, 12:28 PM   #360
karimwassef
Registered Member

Silversides?? Where?

Unread 10/13/2014, 12:30 PM   #361
karimwassef
Registered Member

Get some uncured LR like me and watch your algae flourish!! Maybe too well.

Unread 10/13/2014, 12:55 PM   #362
saltwater sam
Registered Member

Uncured live rock can poison your tank with ammonia. Very bad idea. If you get uncured live rock it's absolutely necessary that you cure it before you put it in your tank.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon SW mangrove/macro planted tank
saltwater sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2014, 01:07 PM   #363
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's true, Sam. Which is why I want some! But for this planted tank, it isn't absolutely necessary. External curing is safer, for sure.

Karim, I forget who posted to this thread on where to get Silversides, but I bookmarked it. Here it is:

http://mblaquaculture.com/content/or..._beryllina.php

You'll get a kick out of the "other uses" info.

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 10/13/2014 at 01:26 PM.
Unread 10/13/2014, 11:19 PM   #364
karimwassef
Registered Member

I wasn't serious about the uncured LR, Sam.

Gnat-eating silversides?? Could it be more perfect? I haven't seen them in a reef - anyone know if they're reef safe? They might be the schooling fish I've wanted. 100 of them for $60 shipped.

Unread 10/14/2014, 06:31 AM   #365
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I know right? Plankitoves, so they should be reef safe. A school of 100 in your tank would be sweeeeet! You've got plankton by the ton too. I imagine they eat the gnat larvae (like mosquito fish), but I bet they'd eat gnats too, if available, and they can get them in their mouths. I'd maybe do a little research to make sure they're reef safe, but I agree they might be the schooling fish you want. I hope they are, because I can't wait to see pics!

Unread 10/14/2014, 08:28 PM   #366
sam.basye
Registered Member

I warned you... Foam wall color update??

Add more pics for the rest of us to enjoy!

Hows the sea-grass growth and diatom bloom going?

I just added a green chromis to my little reef today. Jealous?

It's my cheap solution to determine weather or not my pistol shrimp will kill a larger fish. lol I'd rather lose a $5 fish than a $50 fish! It's lucky I really like the little bastard after I accused it of killing my two baby mangrove snappers!

Sam

sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2014, 10:12 PM   #367
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'll try to get some pics of the wall tomorrow, lights are out now. It looks great. The only color change I can see is from algae and diatoms (that I will never need to clean, yay!).

The seagrasses are growing. Still not very pretty yet though. Diatoms, cyanobacteria, and algae are all making an appearance. Water's kinda cloudy too, so I'm guessing it's a bacterial bloom. I'm at 3 weeks, so I'm somewhere near the worst part of the nitrogen cycle.

I would definitely be jealous, if I hadn't added two temporary fish myself today - one Black Molly and one Silver Molly. I'm hoping they'll help my snails catch up with algae growth. Afterwards, I'll keep them in the quarantine tank.

Pistol shrimp? I had one. It was tiny - no way it could hurt a fish. Did you mean Mantis Shrimp?

Unread 10/14/2014, 11:11 PM   #368
sam.basye
Registered Member

Nothing like less maintenance for a demanding hobby. Looking forward to the pics!

I had some freshwater breeding orange swordtail mollies not long ago - neat experience.

As far as snappy goes... Definitely a pistol shrimp. (He is my profile pic) I needed something to blame for my little fishes disappearance. Snappy was about inch and a half and the baby mangrove snappers were about an inch long and the other slightly smaller. One disappeared and a few days later, so did the other. No carcase, no remains, nothing. I have since relocated the entire tank and inhabitants to a different tank. Not a crispy fish to be found.
Snappy is a good 2" now. Watched a video of a pistol shrimp popping a cleaner shrimp and carrying it back to its lair which is why I blame him. Lol

Once I get around to finishing my 26g bowfront project I won't worry about him

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 10/14/2014, 11:15 PM   #369
sam.basye
Registered Member

Baby mangrove snapper an Snappy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140714_194128_415.jpg (60.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140816_190123_728.jpg (43.8 KB, 99 views)
Unread 10/14/2014, 11:20 PM   #370
sam.basye
Registered Member

YouTube link to above mentioned video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc

Unread 10/14/2014, 11:31 PM   #371
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So you think Snappy snapped your Snappers?

Well I guess if he was bigger than they were, it could happen. Mine was only about an inch-a Tiger Pistol I think.

Bummer losing fish, huh? Have a drink to forget! Maybe some schnapps?

Unread 10/15/2014, 12:15 AM   #372
sam.basye
Registered Member

Aren't you the witty one tonight :P

Mine came from the gulf of Florida. I liked those fish even though they would probably outgrow the tank in a matter of months. Oh well. I don't understand how a fish just goes missing...never to be seen again.

Anyways, drink up to Sir snaps a lot! A 'fish killer' and friend...

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 10/15/2014, 07:49 AM   #373
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I watched that video. Snappy did it. Or maybe they jumped out? Have you checked around on the floor? Do you have a cat? If not, and you don't find them on the floor, Snappy's your perpetrator. And he went from an inch and a half to two inches around that time…

Evidence is adding up, Snappy. Is there something you'd like to confess?

The only other thing I can think of is an unknown, killer hitchhiker. Like a Mantis. But if it were that, Snappy would fall victim as well.

Unread 10/15/2014, 11:55 AM   #374
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The mollies aren't doing much so far. They look like they're waiting to be fed. I'm just glad they survived the fresh to saltwater acclimation. I have no plans to feed them, so when they get hungry enough, I think they'll come around.

Unread 10/15/2014, 05:08 PM   #375
sam.basye
Registered Member

No cat, no remains in the tank, no smells, no crispy carcases on the dresser, behind it, or on the floor. Had a Kuhli loach commit suicide a while back and it started to smell for a week and I found it all crispy a month or so later next to the power strip...

I think snappy didn't get bigger until a month or so after they disappeared... Houdini fish!

I took everything apart to clean and scrub in addition to a 75% water change a few days ago...no sign of that 'baby pistol shrimp' I found last week either... sigh

The green chromis is doing good - not shrimp food as of yet :P

Is there any trick to acclimating the mollies? Like a maximum SG?

Pic is the baby shrimp... its 1-2cm long, clearish pink and has a faint green enlarged left claw. It's hiding under the branch stump. You can see the black innards and eyes and a basic outline of its body.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141005_244743_163.jpg (47.7 KB, 53 views)

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass