Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2014, 02:27 PM   #26
africangrey
Registered Member

how much are we talking about here, brand new, just like the one you just build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanle View Post
Here's a special Linde system with the white knob. Linde is a gas company located in Germany.

a shot in front of my planted tank

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2014, 03:52 PM   #27
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
how much are we talking about here, brand new, just like the one you just build.
The retail of new regulators are usually run from $300 to $1000+ (brass or stainless steel). You can get these from a surplus site around $80 to $160.

Here is an example from Airgas.
http://airgas.com/search/refine/_/N-...0d3414c5c64af2

The brass Burkert 6011 is $50 and ss is $100 on Aquariumplants. Around $35 to $60 on eBay.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/produc...m?1=1&CartID=0

Metering valves are from $40 to $80 on eBay.

You can build something like this from $180 to $300+ depending on the material (brass or ss) and your hunting skill. It costs more than a typical chinese made commercial CO2 system but the reliability and performance are unmatchable. You get one of these built and you will not have to worry about replacing another system down the road.

alanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2014, 05:37 PM   #28
janes_mw
Registered Member

Thanks Alan for all the help the past few days picking out a regulator. There were "many options"! Ended up getting a Matheson. All parts en-route for an awesome set up! Pictures next week

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2014, 07:57 PM   #29
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Subscribed

Unread 12/12/2014, 08:14 PM   #30
crs751
Registered Member

Janes MW, if you don't mind where did you purchase the parts for your setup? I've looked on Ebay and found some but not all. Didn't know if you found a surplus site that you wouldn't mind sharing with others.

Thanks.

crs751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2014, 08:24 PM   #31
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs751 View Post
Janes MW, if you don't mind where did you purchase the parts for your setup? I've looked on Ebay and found some but not all. Didn't know if you found a surplus site that you wouldn't mind sharing with others.

Thanks.
I bought the Reg from Ebay and Alan had a few spare other parts that I was able to get luckily.

From all my searching, I can say ebay was the best place to find regulator. There were a bunch of things I learned along the way (from Alan). I didn't search for the "post regulator" parts, but there were a few part numbers that were suggested for the needle valve. I would try and get the suggested solenoid valve as it appears to be the best.

I can say now that after the researching, it does appear that this set up will be above and beyond. For $200 I have a set up that is extra premium .

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
Unread 12/12/2014, 09:21 PM   #32
alanle
Registered Member

Are we allowed to post links on this site? I have a few links i can share with you guys. Remember these parts are industrial grade. They aren't cheap. However you still can build this system for less than $200. It depends on your luck. Some sellers doesnt know what they have and you can get it for a great deal. You've gotta have the patience and the willingness to hunt for the parts.

Unread 12/12/2014, 09:28 PM   #33
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Are we allowed to post links on this site? I have a few links i can share with you guys. Remember these parts are industrial grade. They aren't cheap. However you still can build this system for less than $200. It depends on your luck. Some sellers doesnt know what they have and you can get it for a great deal. You've gotta have the patience and the willingness to hunt for the parts.
I am not a 100% sure Alan. You can alway spell it out as to where to look like "samsregs" dot com .... I think
mike

Unread 12/13/2014, 11:14 AM   #34
crs751
Registered Member

Links would be great. I think it's permitted on this site. Mods please confirm

Unread 12/14/2014, 07:55 PM   #35
crs751
Registered Member

Alanle, PM sent.

Unread 12/17/2014, 03:46 PM   #36
janes_mw
Registered Member

Thanks for all the Help Alan!!!

Unread 12/17/2014, 05:44 PM   #37
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janes_mw View Post
Thanks for all the Help Alan!!!

That is a sweet regulator! You have created a beast! You are super fast with the assembly. The good thing about building your own CO2 regulator is you get to know exactly how the system works. It will be a breeze if you need to fix something.

-Alan

Unread 12/17/2014, 05:47 PM   #38
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
That is a sweet regulator! You have created a beast! You are super fast with the assembly. The good thing about building your own CO2 regulator is you get to know exactly how the system works. It will be a breeze if you need to fix something.

-Alan
All for $200 bucks. Thanks and once I get running in my new 300g set up, I will post pics of it running on SW system. This is a sweet set up!!

Unread 12/17/2014, 05:54 PM   #39
alanle
Registered Member

There are many ways that you can assemble the post body. You can add a 45 degree elbow before the needle valve and make it look like a machine gun :-).

In this setup, I added a bubble counter on top of the needle valve.

Unread 12/17/2014, 05:59 PM   #40
Raul-7
Registered Member

http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-regulators.html

You can pre-made high quality regulators here.

Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2014, 06:37 PM   #41
alanle
Registered Member

Here's an article that explains the difference between a single stage and dual stage regulator.

Source: http://www.alspecialtygases.com/Prd_...egulators.aspx

Single-Stage versus Two-Stage
Single-stage pressure regulators reduce cylinder pressure to delivery or outlet pressure in one step. Two-stage pressure regulators reduce cylinder pressure in two steps. Since the performance of each is influenced by mechanical characteristics, the choice of regulator depends on the requirements of the application.
The two most important variables to be considered are droop and supply pressure effect. Droop is the difference in delivery pressure between zero flow conditions and the regulator’s maximum flow capacity. Supply pressure effect is the variation in delivery pressure as supply pressure decreases while the cylinder empties.
Single-stage and two-stage regulators have different droop characteristics and respond differently to changing supply pressure. The single-stage regulator shows little droop with varying flowrates, but a relatively large supply pressure effect. Conversely, the two-stage regulator shows a considerable droop, but only small supply pressure effects. Generally, a single-stage regulator is recommended where inlet pressure does not vary greatly, or where periodic readjustment of delivery pressure does not present a problem. A two-stage regulator, however, provides constant delivery pressure with no need for periodic readjustment.

Unread 12/17/2014, 06:51 PM   #42
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's an article that explains the difference between a single stage and dual stage regulator.

Source: http://www.alspecialtygases.com/Prd_...egulators.aspx

Single-Stage versus Two-Stage
Single-stage pressure regulators reduce cylinder pressure to delivery or outlet pressure in one step. Two-stage pressure regulators reduce cylinder pressure in two steps. Since the performance of each is influenced by mechanical characteristics, the choice of regulator depends on the requirements of the application.
The two most important variables to be considered are droop and supply pressure effect. Droop is the difference in delivery pressure between zero flow conditions and the regulator’s maximum flow capacity. Supply pressure effect is the variation in delivery pressure as supply pressure decreases while the cylinder empties.
Single-stage and two-stage regulators have different droop characteristics and respond differently to changing supply pressure. The single-stage regulator shows little droop with varying flowrates, but a relatively large supply pressure effect. Conversely, the two-stage regulator shows a considerable droop, but only small supply pressure effects. Generally, a single-stage regulator is recommended where inlet pressure does not vary greatly, or where periodic readjustment of delivery pressure does not present a problem. A two-stage regulator, however, provides constant delivery pressure with no need for periodic readjustment.

I believe the dreaded End of Tank Dump (EOTD) is circumvented by a good two stage regulator?

Unread 12/17/2014, 07:04 PM   #43
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
I believe the dreaded End of Tank Dump (EOTD) is circumvented by a good two stage regulator?
Yup that is correct!

Unread 12/17/2014, 07:05 PM   #44
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, it is.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2014, 05:39 PM   #45
alanle
Registered Member

Here is a stainless steel parker veriflo regulator. it looks to be in great condition. The retail of this reg is around $500.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111553229913

Unread 12/20/2014, 06:37 PM   #46
janes_mw
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is a stainless steel parker veriflo regulator. it looks to be in great condition. The retail of this reg is around $500.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111553229913
Wow! that is a steal! I paid $100 for mine and it's not SS.

Unread 12/28/2014, 03:26 PM   #47
alanle
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow! that is a steal! I paid $100 for mine and it's not SS.

That regulator you got still a really nice unit. :-)

Unread 12/28/2014, 03:33 PM   #48
alanle
Registered Member

This is my favorite regulator. The stainless steel Parker IR6000. Airgas is selling it for $900+. It's currently available on fleaBay for $250. Brand new in plastic bag. You can send a message to the seller and offer him for $150. He has 2 units available. Im so tempted to get them but i have too many regulators already. Remember to ask the seller how much psi the lower pressure gauge displays. Dont get it if it's 400psi or more. Below 200 is good to go.

Here is the item number.

Unread 12/29/2014, 05:04 AM   #49
Bryan
Registered Member

Good link on how to wire the Burkert solenoid.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-6011-solenoid

Current Tank Info: 10g nano reef
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 09:33 PM   #50
dadummy
Registered Member

great thread, regulators look sweet, makes we want to build one

I was searching for a victor and came across this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AERIFORM-COM...item5402efecbd

however, looks like it was dropped, gauges are dinged and cover missing, CGA nipple bent,

So, there's a ton or regulators out there for sale, even found a few potential just listed as Victor regulator. Will have to do some homework

dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote