Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2021, 11:01 AM   #1
tang named junkyard
Registered Member

After 5 hour power outage I went and found the cheapest generator I could

Temp got down to 74 in the reef last week. I decided to go out and find the generator I could. I didn't realize I have 15 plugs. I put it to the test plus a swamp cooler. At least I won't be freaking out when the power goes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r0PivSYoiE

tang named junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2021, 09:25 PM   #2
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Best to do it at 74 instead of 55. We had a nasty ice storm in November that killed my power for a few days. My back up 'suitcase' generator that I used for camping crapped the bed at the worst time.

The house and tank dropped into the 50s, killing everything in the tank. I lost about 2 years of mature growth and fish in my 60 cube. I had to drive to Texas to get a generator, then the power came on 2 hours after I hooked it up.

No worries next time. I have a 10KW generator in the garage ready to roll.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2021, 08:44 AM   #3
Dan.
Registered Member

We've had a portable one for years, having a whole house unit installed this year.

Dan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2021, 01:42 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

Although we don't lose power often, and then usually less than 24 hours, it is a royal PIA. A whole-house generator is coming fairly soon.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2021, 10:51 AM   #5
Joe
Registered Member

Thanks for this great review. A word of caution, though. I would strongly recommend you use ONLY real gas in any small engine. No ethanol blended gas, ever, unless you're going to empty the generator tank every time you're not using it. Non-ethanol gas is the only gas I use in any small engines I have. I even use only real gas in my vehicles. Using any gas with any ethanol in it, if left sitting long periods of time, will eat away, and dissolve, small metal parts in the carburetor.

Joe

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Oceanic Tech Tank, Two MP40W Gen 2 Vortechs, H & S A-150-F2001 External Skimmer, Oceanic Model 3 Sump, Current Outer Orbit Pro 250 Watt MH/T5 Combo
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2021, 01:25 PM   #6
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Thanks for this great review. A word of caution, though. I would strongly recommend you use ONLY real gas in any small engine. No ethanol blended gas, ever, unless you're going to empty the generator tank every time you're not using it. Non-ethanol gas is the only gas I use in any small engines I have. I even use only real gas in my vehicles. Using any gas with any ethanol in it, if left sitting long periods of time, will eat away, and dissolve, small metal parts in the carburetor.

Joe
That's good info. I have a small emergency generator that I test run every two months for about 15 minutes. I don't know if the gas I bought contains ethanol or not, but I run the generator engine dry every time (the generator has a fuel cut off switch that I turn off while the generator is still running). Makes it more difficult to start up again (a few more pulls), but I don't have to worry about gas corroding anything!

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2021, 11:38 AM   #7
Joe
Registered Member

That's a great way to do it, Kevin. I, unfortunately, learned the hard way.......

Joe

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Oceanic Tech Tank, Two MP40W Gen 2 Vortechs, H & S A-150-F2001 External Skimmer, Oceanic Model 3 Sump, Current Outer Orbit Pro 250 Watt MH/T5 Combo
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2021, 06:18 AM   #8
Looper121
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
Best to do it at 74 instead of 55. We had a nasty ice storm in November that killed my power for a few days. My back up 'suitcase' generator that I used for camping crapped the bed at the worst time.

The house and tank dropped into the 50s, killing everything in the tank. I lost about 2 years of mature growth and fish in my 60 cube. I had to drive to Texas to get a generator, then the power came on 2 hours after I hooked it up.

No worries next time. I have a 10KW generator in the garage ready to roll.
This is depressing and exactly why you should dismantle your reef tank.

Unread 05/23/2021, 11:07 AM   #9
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
That's a great way to do it, Kevin. I, unfortunately, learned the hard way.......

Joe
Unfortunately, me too. Had a Generac 4500 for years. Used it to run lights at nighttime soccer practices. Then, didn't run it for several years. Went to try and start it up and gasoline leaked from just about everywhere!

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2021, 09:15 PM   #10
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Quote:
This is depressing and exactly why you should dismantle your reef tank.
Wow, I never thought of it that way. You know, I've been enjoying this hobby since 2007, but you've made a convincing argument. I'm just going to bail on the whole ordeal. I'm sure your posts will continue to win hearts and minds and topple the reef industry in short order. Thank you SO much for your contribution to the world. Maybe you can take on the ManBearPig issue once you solve the reef crisis?

Quote:
Unfortunately, me too. Had a Generac 4500 for years. Used it to run lights at nighttime soccer practices. Then, didn't run it for several years. Went to try and start it up and gasoline leaked from just about everywhere!
That sucks! I'll dump E10 into my wife's daily driver when I have to, but it's only pure gas in all of my small engines, boat, generator, and Trans Am (garage queen). Luckily, there are sever gas stations near me that have 100% gas.

Unread 06/06/2021, 05:28 PM   #11
kfisc
Registered Member

This is what finally drove me out of the hobby. Our patch of rural New England has crummy power companies doing battle to see who can more convincingly pretend it's not really they're fault when the power goes out for a week or more every hurricane season. Or any time it rains. Or if the wind blows more than 20 mph.

Even getting gas for a generator eventually means waiting in line for hours for stations to close when their pumps run dry.

Rant over, thanks for listening.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2021, 10:21 PM   #12
Johnic
Registered Member

This made me order a generator. The chances of a power outage for me are slim but if it does happen the tank would be over. It’s good insurance.

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2021, 04:50 PM   #13
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

They're good for other stuff too. Mine runs the furnace in the winter (gas) and will keep the refrigerators, deep freeze, the TV and a bunch of other stuff up and running when the power dies. It's a pain running cables, but I'll have it tied directly into the house before winter. Then it's as easy as flipping the start switch and flipping the isolation switch on the panel.