Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2017, 01:16 PM   #1
outlikecelery
Registered Member

Help me identify this plate coral

I just got this orange plate coral 2 days ago from a local store. It was dirt cheap and looked amazing, glows bright orange. It has been looking great the last 2 days in my tank up on the flatest rock i had. Can anyone help me identify this coral though? name? care? i was told it cant go in the sand, it will die if sand gets on top of it. I know all plate corals are different but i have no idea what this is

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3384 (1).jpg (44.2 KB, 38 views)
outlikecelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Timfish
Registered Member

I would definitely disagree with whoever said you can't put it on the sand or spill sand on it. It's not a chalace. Easy experiment is to go ahead and pour a teaspoon of sand on it. It'll clear itself off in an hour or two. As far as idenifying which Fungiid species it is that's pretty difficult as you have to look at the skeletal structures hidden by ut's tissue.

Unread 01/17/2017, 01:38 PM   #3
xanthurum
Registered Member

Not sure what type of ID you are looking for but it is a fungia. Common name being plate coral, they do best on the sand and getting sand on it will not do anything to it. In fact since they prefer to live in the sand it is very capable of removing sand from itself. They can even move if they don't like where you put them. It will inflate like a balloon and let the current take it somewhere more suitable.

Current Tank Info: You want to know just ask
xanthurum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care, coral, noob, orange, plate