Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2011, 11:09 AM   #151
BlueChip
Registered Member

any more refugium DIY's?

BlueChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2011, 11:26 AM   #152
MyOwnGrowOp
Zoa Addict

i did a small DIY media basket for my 6 gallon zoa tank. a large % of the water was passing by the right side of the filter and not actually getting filtered. here is what the flow looked like. notice how a fairly large amount is passing by the right side?

stock filter out.

so i cut 3 of these for "levels" for the new filter

then i used an 80 tooth saw blade on the table saw and cut some acrylic

here is the acrylic weld i used

so i built it 3 sided, so i can put the media in the open side, and the outside wall of the tank acts like the 4th side. here it is

and here it is with filter floss in the top, carbon in the middle (waiting on chemi-pure for 3rd chamber)

and here it is in action

notice how the whole water collumn is going into it now! it actually cleared up the water after a water change about twice as fast. let me know what you guys think

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Reef. 45 Gallon Sump. 25 Gallon Top Down Reef
MyOwnGrowOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2011, 09:03 AM   #153
sandy100
Registered Member

good job~

sandy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2011, 02:22 PM   #154
DREWS10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafish View Post
Great projects everyone!
I recognize some of the Old Guard, but many people who are currently active probably haven't seen my "no-equipment" cubes. Here are some videos:

8" cube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJqOrAFZ7VU

mantis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhvL0qPHSLI

12" cube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8oSnBdCxU

Hope you like it,

Chad
WOW!!!! Those are both awesome but the 12" is unreal!!! VERY NICE

DREWS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2011, 08:04 PM   #155
dahogs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWS10 View Post
WOW!!!! Those are both awesome but the 12" is unreal!!! VERY NICE
That's what she said.

Immature? Absolutely!

dahogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2011, 09:40 PM   #156
bymers42
Registered Member

Anybody have pictures and steps for mounting an AI nano above a BC29?

bymers42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 06:51 PM   #157
jcopp24
Registered Member

Another DIY Media Basket / Rack BC 14

Thought I would throw my media basket on... I understand they are cheap enough to buy, however I like to build stuff... I used plexi glass, sealant, the front of an old box fan to make shelves... and the stock false bottom for a bottom, and cut the over flow to drop three waterfalls into the basket.
Without top and bottom

Top and Bottom

Installed next to BC14 Nanoskimmer

jcopp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 05:50 AM   #158
johnnie1960
Registered Member

Good job stevie t would be proud I also built my own but used super glue because i wasn't sure about the acrylic glue seems to be holdnig on

johnnie1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2012, 08:28 AM   #159
biocube14g
Registered Member

Auto top off for nano's anybody?

biocube14g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2013, 06:49 PM   #160
jebbab
Registered Member

Sweet.

jebbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2013, 11:42 AM   #161
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I think more auto top offs are being made for nano's nowadays. But fortunately the (mostly) closed tops of nano's keeps evap to a minimum.

Unread 03/18/2013, 09:39 AM   #162
Dripdrop123
Registered Member

I'm made a hospital tank out of off one of my uncles old filtration tanks and a pile of PVC I've already got it hooked up, it's in the cabinet under a 28g nano cube but anyone got any idea of what light to buy

Dripdrop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2013, 09:26 PM   #163
Lpoole
Registered Member

You can use the eshopps nano overflow box in the last chamber in a biocube for a sump and connect the pump back up and connect to the jet that the small powerhead was on originally. You just have to cut the plastic a little to make it fit. There's a video on youtube on it. If you type in "eshopps nano overflow" it should come up.

Lpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2013, 08:10 PM   #164
Jblank44
Registered Member

Here is my DIY for a ATO on a biocube 14g

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2314843

Jblank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2013, 11:11 AM   #165
Psittac
Registered Member

Here is my DIY for an overflow and display refugium for my 3.4g pico

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2329600

Unread 10/04/2013, 09:14 AM   #166
brvheart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biocube14g View Post
Auto top off for nano's anybody?
I would highly suggest a DIY air powered ATO. Now that mine's running, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. With the air pump, I'm never going to ruin a pump by running my reservoir dry.

Parts list for mine:
float switch(es): $5
12v relay from Radio Shack: $10
project box from Radio Shack: $3
air pump from Petco: $10
misc: FW reservoir, airline tubing, wire, super glue, mounting bracket for float switch

Key benefits:
-low cost.
-easy to find parts: I was able to get everything locally
-reliable, though component based, so easy to replace components
-runs on 12v, not 120v like other DIY ATO's
-no possibility of ruining your pump by running reservoir dry as mentioned above

This is not my design or original by any means. I did struggle to find build instructions 'tho when I went to make mine. There are several people who post the parts but don't list instructions (like I just did ). So if anybody would like me to, let me know.

brvheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2013, 09:38 AM   #167
Irongills
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brvheart View Post
I would highly suggest a DIY air powered ATO. Now that mine's running, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. With the air pump, I'm never going to ruin a pump by running my reservoir dry.

Parts list for mine:
float switch(es): $5
12v relay from Radio Shack: $10
project box from Radio Shack: $3
air pump from Petco: $10
misc: FW reservoir, airline tubing, wire, super glue, mounting bracket for float switch

Key benefits:
-low cost.
-easy to find parts: I was able to get everything locally
-reliable, though component based, so easy to replace components
-runs on 12v, not 120v like other DIY ATO's
-no possibility of ruining your pump by running reservoir dry as mentioned above

This is not my design or original by any means. I did struggle to find build instructions 'tho when I went to make mine. There are several people who post the parts but don't list instructions (like I just did ). So if anybody would like me to, let me know.
Yeah, build instructions would be great. I've got awful evaporation and have gotten close to running it dry a couple times because I lacked a jug of RO/DI water laying around.

Irongills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2013, 10:03 AM   #168
brvheart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongills View Post
Yeah, build instructions would be great. I've got awful evaporation and have gotten close to running it dry a couple times because I lacked a jug of RO/DI water laying around.
Ok, I will post detailed instructions tomorrow.

Unread 10/05/2013, 03:17 PM   #169
brvheart
Registered Member

Air Powered ATO

OK... I would be pretty disappointed if I looked at these instructions to learn how to do a DIY project. I couldn't take very good pictures because everything's assembled and zip-tie'd in. This would have been better to write up DURING the build. Anyways..

Parts:

- Air powered pump from Petco
- Relay from Radio Shack
- 12v power supply
- Reservoir: I found a great 3 gallon drinking water jug at the grocery by the water refill machine. You could use a Gatorade bottle or something, but you'd need to refill more often.
- bracket for float switch(es)
- airline tubing
- rigid airline tubing
- Super glue or silicone or both
- Project box
- OPTIONAL misc items: clamp on airline valve to secure output of airline tubing to tank, shrink tube and solder for any splices if you don't want to use wire nuts, extension cord if you don't want to cut your air pump's power cord. Socket for your relay if you'd prefer to use screw terminals on your electrical connections.

Put simply, this ATO uses the air pump to force air into an airtight reservoir which forces water out of another piece of airline tubing running to your tank.

Steps:

Electrical:
notes: You're using the 12v relay and power supply simply to keep 120v out of your tank. You will have to cut your air pump's power cord. If you'd rather not void your $10 Petco air pump, you could always use a cheap $2 extension cord to cut into.

1) Take the power cord for your air pump (or extension cord) and cut ONE wire. Peel a couple inches back on each side and strip back a bit of the jacket. These exposed ends plug into pins 4 and 6 on your relay. The order doesn't matter. I soldered my wires to the relay pins. In retrospect, I would have definitely grabbed a few female wire connectors and used those. Much easier.
2) Take the wire from your float switches and make connections to 12 volt power supply and pins 7 and 8 on the relay. You can use 1 float switch or 20. Doesn't matter. I won't get into details on how many float switches you want to use for safety or redundancy or the best way to wire them. There's a lot of info on that here about wiring float switches. My diagram shows 2 float switches. You may need to extend your float switch wiring down to your relay. If you do, use whatever wire you're comfortable with to extend it. I used an old plug in wire you would find on the back of a VCR or something. I suggest using shrink tubing and soldering your splices for safety.

Both power supplies will be plugged in and left plugged in. The signal from the float switches activate the relay which converts the 12v to 120v, activating the air pump. Stuff your relay into a project box, tidy your wires, and be done with it.

Hand drawn diagram below:

Tubing and reservoir:

1) Take the tight fitting lid of your reservoir/container and drill 2 holes just a bit smaller than your rigid airline tubing. Cut one short piece, about 4", then the other longer one to reach to the bottom of your reservoir with about 2" left to come out of the top. Push the tubing through the holes you drilled. I suggest Super gluing the tubes in place AND siliconing them for maximum airtightness. The air pump output tubing goes onto the shorter tube on the lid. Run another piece of soft airline tube from the longer piece of rigid tubing on the lid up to the tank. I used the clamp on airline valve shown in the pic below, which I found in the FW section of my LFS. This piece basically keeps the tubing out of the water to eliminate the possibility of a syphon.

notes: this $10 Petco air pump easily pumps the 4 ft from my reservoir to my tank. If you have a lot further to go, you may want to splurge on a $15 pump :P
I would also suggest letting the silicone or caulk dry until firm and dry. I made the mistake of being impatient and got it wet while it was soft.

Float switch bracket:
I won't get into a ton of detail on this. You can buy one, make one, or maybe you have one lying around. If you need to make one, run to your local store that sells acrylic, snap off a couple pieces, and shape them as needed for your tank and float switches with a lighter or other heat source. You should really try to make this thing adjustable.

Couple more comments..
There are a lot of ways you can splash/snail proof your float switch(es). Pill bottle, 35mm film canister, pvc end caps. I used pvc end caps and drilled a bunch of little holes so water can flow through. I find that this setup is perfect in terms of the system coming on and off. It's not constantly switching on and off.
Also, this is a GREAT setup if you ever want to does KALK. No pump comes into contact with the water and you have an easy jug to work with and clean out if necessary.

Good luck and enjoy. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

Last edited by brvheart; 10/05/2013 at 03:55 PM.
Unread 10/06/2013, 03:13 PM   #170
Jblank44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongills View Post
Look above at mine, very easy and VERY reliable

GO VOLS!!!

CURRENT TANK: 35 gallon cube w/ 10 gallon sump. Mixed/SPS dominant

Current Tank Info: 35 Gallon Cube w/ 10 gallon sump
Jblank44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2013, 01:58 PM   #171
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Have not seen an air ato in a long time.

Unread 01/14/2014, 07:42 PM   #172
truthdesigns
Registered Member

Anyone seen a hob algae scrubber?

"Beauty is within an ocean behind glass"

Current Tank Info: 18 gallon custom nano.
truthdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2014, 09:46 PM   #173
JAnwyl
Registered Member

I've seen aquaclear's converted to algae scrubbers

JAnwyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2014, 05:02 PM   #174
cfronczek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblank44 View Post
Here is my DIY for a ATO on a biocube 14g

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2314843
Thanks.

cfronczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 04:22 PM   #175
donlocke65
Registered Member

Bad links

Just joined,looking at diy nano getting a lot of bad or old posts ,what's going on?

donlocke65 is offline   Reply With Quote