Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2012, 04:51 PM   #1
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Goby & copper

A friend gave me a Sleeper Gold Head Goby today. I'm not really a Goby person, but it was free, right? I put it in a 20L QT that I originally setup for a Melanarus Wrasse I have coming in next week. I had planned on treating the wrasse with either Coppersafe or Cupramine, as I've already killed two while treating with Chloroquine Phosphate.

So, anyone out there have experience treating gobies in copper? I know dragonets (Mandarins) are sensitive to copper, but I can't remember the last time I Qt'd a goby.

Plan B would be to TT them using 5 gal buckets. But I'm a little nervous about an ammonia spike with 2 fish in a 5 gal bucket for 3 days.

Last edited by b0bab0ey; 11/16/2012 at 04:59 PM.
b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2012, 05:42 PM   #2
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0ey View Post
A friend gave me a Sleeper Gold Head Goby today. I'm not really a Goby person, but it was free, right? I put it in a 20L QT that I originally setup for a Melanarus Wrasse I have coming in next week. I had planned on treating the wrasse with either Coppersafe or Cupramine, as I've already killed two while treating with Chloroquine Phosphate.

So, anyone out there have experience treating gobies in copper? I know dragonets (Mandarins) are sensitive to copper, but I can't remember the last time I Qt'd a goby.

Plan B would be to TT them using 5 gal buckets. But I'm a little nervous about an ammonia spike with 2 fish in a 5 gal bucket for 3 days.
I'm surprised that the CP killed a couple of gobies. I have some CP and am waiting for a chance to try it. I've used Cupramine with several gobies; never lost one that I know of; at least when they were still in my possession. Regarding the TT: you could always use an ammonia neutralizer, like Prime or Amquel in the buckets. I've used Cupramine for so long and I'm too old to change; so I still use it. However; I've tried TT and think its fool-proof, safe, and easy. The downside is that it only gets crypto. But velvet, et al, always show up during a normal QT period anyhow.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2012, 12:35 AM   #3
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuskfish View Post
I've used Cupramine with several gobies; never lost one that I know of; at least when they were still in my possession.
Well, within 24 hrs of putting the wrasse in QT, he starts rubbing. Seems like he's mainly targeting his gills, so I'm guessing either flukes or crypto. Probably the latter. The good news both he & the goby are eating well.

So, I blew the dust off my bottle of Coppersafe (it hadn't expired yet) and started dosing. I'll take 2 or 3 days to get it up to 1.5 ppm, and go from there. The only tricky part is I put some sand in a container in there for the goby. So it might take a little while to achieve a consistent copper reading. I just don't have time right now to deal with TT with Thanksgiving & everything.

As always, thanks for the advice & reassurance!

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copper, goby