Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2015, 02:46 PM   #1
SoloChromis
Registered Member

Copper... Eel Safe?

Is it safe to use Cupramine in a tank housing a zebra moray eel? Nobody seems to know for sure, it's all mainly here-say "I bet if you lowered the dosage it wouldn't hurt" etc. I'm wanting FACTS and/or experiences. Thanks

Current Tank Info: 60g Caribbean-esque Reef (2'x2'x2'), 10g Quarantine
SoloChromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 02:57 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

I am not an eel guy (in aquariums any way) but the person who is an expert is syrinx.

Unread 04/28/2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I'm not a expert but I don't think copper is... Chloroquine Phosphate is eel safe for sure

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 10:40 PM   #4
mav3rick478
Registered Member

When I worked at Coral Fish HI we had copper in the main system for all fish and eels in the store. Don't know exactly what brand we used but there were not many back then in the 90's. Inverts were in a separate system without copper.

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 07:15 AM   #5
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

^^ not to be rude but that doesn't necessarily mean it is safe. I assume you probably ran at non-therapeutic levels which could have been ok temporarily, but at therapeutic levels that might not be true.

Again, not starting an argument. It is just dangerous to offer that anecdotal advice since it is sort of apples to oranges.

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
AirForceAquariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 04:23 PM   #6
mav3rick478
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceAquariu View Post
^^ not to be rude but that doesn't necessarily mean it is safe. I assume you probably ran at non-therapeutic levels which could have been ok temporarily, but at therapeutic levels that might not be true.

Again, not starting an argument. It is just dangerous to offer that anecdotal advice since it is sort of apples to oranges.
No offense taken, I know we ran it as if we were treating for Ick I just don't know the exact level because it was back in the 90s. It was basically to rid all the livestock of parasites since they were all caught locally and we had some imported. So it was theraputic levels, I even remember weekly the boss going around with a measuring vile and dispersing copper throughout the tank system so that it wasn't too concentrated in one area for too long and was more evenly dispersed before it ran throughout the whole system.

mav3rick478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 10:20 PM   #7
syrinx
Registered Member

No copper for eels. It might not kill them right off-but is has happened. I remember copper in the 90`s- didnt keep levels easily, anything less than lab grade tests were inaccurate, so usually it was under or overdosed. While this would suggest why eels may have lived in "coppered" tanks-it also suggests that they may have been killed by over medication as well- so I would discount anecdotal data on both sides from that era.

But among people who have studied eels-copper is not considered a reasonable risk. WHile it is not as toxic to them as it is sharks and rays, they do react poorly to it. Since eels are far less likely to succumb from ich, the general treatment is isolation, clean water and good feeding. Tank transfer is not a practical option for most eels! Hyposalinity would be safe-but again would be more stress than just letting it run its course in isolation for 3 months or so.

Unread 04/30/2015, 07:27 AM   #8
AirForceAquariu
Registered Member

Since I am curious and a student of this hobby: Why would TTM not be suitable for eels? I can think of a few reasons that might make sense but just would like to hear it from someone who knows.

70 gal w/ 15 gal sump. 1 flame wrasse, 2 a. occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinal, 1 midas blenny, assorted CUC, 1 brittle star.

Current Tank Info: 70g 20g sump. 1 Flame Wrasse, 2 A. Occelaris, 1 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 Midas Blenny
AirForceAquariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 10:09 AM   #9
rssjsb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceAquariu View Post
Since I am curious and a student of this hobby: Why would TTM not be suitable for eels? I can think of a few reasons that might make sense but just would like to hear it from someone who knows.
If I had to guess, as someone who has kept eels before, I would say (1) escape risk - all TTM tanks would have to be securely covered; (2) tank size might present an issue for larger specimens; (3) eels are just harder to catch, handle, and transfer - you definitely can't catch and move them with your hands, which a lot of people prefer to do with TTM method to reduce stress. Beyond that, I don't know.

Unread 04/30/2015, 01:46 PM   #10
syrinx
Registered Member

All of the above and add in the fact that eels have a mucus coat that is easily damaged, and their skin easily abraded which opens them up to bacterial infections.

Unread 04/30/2015, 08:03 PM   #11
snorvich
Team RC member

Thanks syrinx!

Tags
copper, cupramine, eel, moray eel, zebra moray eel