Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2015, 12:36 PM   #1
BPPmichigan
Registered Member

Will my AP700 continue to sustain SPS?

I am an old hobbiest back in the game after a couple year break. I just started a 120g reef tank. 48x24x24. I have one ap700. The site says that's a fine size for one light, but it is the max size. My tank is established but newer . I have put many frags in there(hammer, galaxia, zoos, mushrooms) and all have done great. In fact they have doubled in size since I started using aquavitro fuel. I then thought I would give sps corals a shot since that is what I really want. I got a Tri-color acropora and then another fluorescent yellow acropora. To my surprise, both are doing great. And by doing great, I was told by my LFS that doing great is when you get "polyp"(probably not the accurate term) extension. Which has doubled from what I saw in the fish store. These things are pretty "furry". Any help on the correct terms would be great as well. But it seems they are healthy. It hasn't been that long though so I will wait and see how these do. They are in the highest points of my tank which are not just under the water line but probably 6 inches below. I have seen people putting 2 ap700s on their 120g and I don't know why. Am I just getting a brief showing of health before these things all bleach out? I am adding calcium(aquavitro brand) and considering a calcium reactor. Any help on that would be great too. But let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

BPPmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 01:10 PM   #2
.Chris.
Registered Member

Generally speaking, the issue with SPS and LED is that the manufacturer recommended amount of light from LED companies doesn't provide sufficient spread or diffusion. Most SPS tanks which use LED use an incredible amount. For instance, I would put 4 AP700s on your size tank.

They'll still live, but they may not be fully coloured up with time.

57G Rimless Softy, Reefbreeders, Eshopps PSK-100, Jebao DC-9000, 2x Kor

Current Tank Info: 75G Rimless SPS, 57G Rimless Softy, RedSea Max-S 650 SPS
.Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 01:28 PM   #3
NaturalReef
Registered Member

I second that..... I have had better success with 3 AI prime versus one hydra 52. I was never able to turn my hydra up past 50% without bleaching coral. Coverage is paramount with led.

NaturalReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 04:11 PM   #4
minus9
Registered Member

BRS released a vid on LED lighting that covers a lot. It's worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7XLgLiA0PM

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acropora, ap700, aquavitro, sps