Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2017, 12:21 PM   #1
pacificdiver
Registered Member

What is this?

I posted in the disease forum, but haven't gotten any responses yet. I'm hoping someone can ID this lesion on an ocellaris to help with a treatment direction. He's been through TTM with prazipro, malachite green x 1 wk, and now chloroquine x 5 days at 60mg/Gallon in a 10G QT. Velvet and ich were in the cause for treatment, but he never showed any signs of disease until 24 hours ago.

It's basically a gray spot on the head, where the white band crosses. Has anyone seen anything like this before? No other visible signs on the fish, but his behavior has gotten much more lethargic and feeding response went from 10/10 to 1/10.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg clown lesion.jpg (53.9 KB, 53 views)
pacificdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Soluent1
Registered Member

I have no advise for you. But i have seen something like this before. It was on the female of a pair of picasso clowns. they were in a small partition at an LSF. they were full grown. I purchased them. I got them home and the female could not really swim well. She was always head down and to the side. I thought she looked like she had had a stroke. Then I noticed a spot on her head that was gray. It was in the white area. I don't know if it was related to the odd swimming behavior, but I returned the pair. Can't help you in regard to your fish, but you asked if anyone had seen this before.

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 01:41 PM   #3
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluent1 View Post
I have no advise for you. But i have seen something like this before. It was on the female of a pair of picasso clowns. they were in a small partition at an LSF. they were full grown. I purchased them. I got them home and the female could not really swim well. She was always head down and to the side. I thought she looked like she had had a stroke. Then I noticed a spot on her head that was gray. It was in the white area. I don't know if it was related to the odd swimming behavior, but I returned the pair. Can't help you in regard to your fish, but you asked if anyone had seen this before.
Ok, thanks - sounds like this is definitely not typical. I'm noticing the eyes appear very slightly cloudy. Would it be total lunacy to remove and begin Prazipro for 7 days, having done CP for 6 days, after today (primarily for velvet)?

Unread 02/01/2017, 07:17 PM   #4
Soluent1
Registered Member

Cloudy eyes… I seem to recall that as a symptom of flukes, in which case prazipro would be appropriate. In any case, it is likely to do no harm. Best of luck.

Soluent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 08:27 PM   #5
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluent1 View Post
Cloudy eyes… I seem to recall that as a symptom of flukes, in which case prazipro would be appropriate. In any case, it is likely to do no harm. Best of luck.
I came to the same conclusion. I decided to discontinue CP for 5 days and do a course of prazipro. Very frustrating. These little guys deserve much better than I gave them.

Tags
clownfish, parasite, ttm, velvet