Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/28/2017, 04:56 PM   #1
yellow_tang2009
DFWMAS Member

Question Possible Velvet

I have had difficulty keeping fish alive in my 30G reef. I recently had a tank-raised ocellaris clown and a royal gramma die within 1 week of being in the tank.

All of my water parameters are on point. I have rare zoanthids, hammer coral, birds nest, leather coral, and many Inverts thriving but cannot keep fish other than this Clown Goby. He has been alone in the tank for about 4 weeks and eats well. I did however notice what may be white spots but it's hard to tell. Any thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4990.jpg (61.1 KB, 19 views)
yellow_tang2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 04:32 PM   #2
JustinM
Registered Member

I can't tell from the pics(using my phone and the pic won't enlarge).

Is he swimming into the flow, hiding from the light, breathing fast, how big are the spots, are there a ton of them?

Is it possible to upload a better pic?

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2017, 05:35 PM   #3
TheJinxs
Registered Member

I hope for your fish's sake it's not velvet. We just realized this morning we had velvet and not ich. We've lost 3 fish in as many days. We were totally unprepared for this. If it's velvet get to your LFS fast. The one closest to me was closed today so I had to take a multi hour road trip for it and by the time I got home with meds another fish had died.

Current Tank Info: FOWLR 55g & 29g 55- Coral Beauty, Black Goby, Midnight clown, skunk cleaner shrimp.. 29- 2 clowns (gladiator, black&white, t) 3 Gobies(chalk, diamond shrimpgoby, fire) 3 cleaner shrimp (skunk, blood, peppermint) and feather duster worm
TheJinxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2017, 07:27 AM   #4
A sea K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post

Is he swimming into the flow, hiding from the light,
What would this indicate? I've lost most of my fish and these are definite symptoms they have shown.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2017, 02:30 PM   #5
JustinM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A sea K View Post
What would this indicate? I've lost most of my fish and these are definite symptoms they have shown.
They swim into the flow because they are slowly dying of hypoxia. They are trying to force oxygen into their gills because the infestation of velvet.

The hiding from the light part, I may be wrong but this is my guess. Velvet is a dinoflagellate(some call it a hybrid between plant and animal)like the algae in our tanks. Velvet dinospores can be infective up to 15 days without a host because they use light for photosynthesis.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2017, 04:23 PM   #6
A sea K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker View Post
They swim into the flow because they are slowly dying of hypoxia. They are trying to force oxygen into their gills because the infestation of velvet.

The hiding from the light part, I may be wrong but this is my guess. Velvet is a dinoflagellate(some call it a hybrid between plant and animal)like the algae in our tanks. Velvet dinospores can be infective up to 15 days without a host because they use light for photosynthesis.
Thanks for the reply. I started a new thread with questions concerning mortality and velvet, brook, etc if you could take a look I would appreciate any info you might have to share.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, velvet