Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2014, 10:44 AM   #1
GSep
Registered Member

Talking Sump for cramped cabinet design, input needed.

Whats up everyone?

So I've started to get sick of my current sump design. Simple 10 gallon tank, with a skimmer, 3 baffle for bubbles and return pump for my 30 gallon 24" x 24" x 12" Deep Blue rimless. Lately I've been thinking about building my own out of acrylic to fit the minimal space I have under my stand.

I only have about 18"w x 25"d to work with in my current stand situation. I came up with this in solidworks, trying to stick to my constraints and see what I can come up with:

[IMG]NEW SUMP[/IMG]

Going to be a tight fit. Size would be 17"w x 24"d x 18"h.

I have a 1 1/2" drain coming down, then back up to the plate with 2 4" filter socks, down into a small chamber, over a wall with a split. The green box is representative of my skimmer, the other half of the split will go into a small fuge. The blue box is my return pump. Heater would go probably in the drain section, ATO in the return section, along with Apex probes and probably dosing lines.

Looking for some input on this. I do realize that I don't have a bubble trap after my skimmer so might need to be addressed.

GSep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 11:05 AM   #2
GSep
Registered Member

Any input guys? I got a hook up with some acrylic from a guy at work. He has a 1/4" sheet that he's willing to give to me for free. Just wondering if that'll be thick enough.

Unread 08/22/2014, 01:24 PM   #3
dattack
Registered Member

most of the sumps sold these days are 1/4" . your design might be good enough except if your sump is 18" high, you might consider a small eurobrace.

dattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 04:41 AM   #4
GSep
Registered Member

I was thinking about doing a eurobrace as well. Or at least a strip across the top.

I should be getting the acrylic today from a coworker if all goes well. Hopefully get started on it this week.

Tags
acrylic, cad lights, design, sicce, sump