Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2017, 02:33 PM   #1
iRibbit
Registered Member

Red face My pond fish have just graduated to a fresh new tank inside...

Hello I need some support. I made a man made pond out outside with a 20 gallon fish tank, and through a crap load of trail and error, I decided it was best to bring my goldies in doors and give them the best quality water and care, i just have some questions and far as physical and personality changes that started when and few of my fish got ich in the pond..... at least this is what i'm speculating, but I'm noticing other physical symptoms not sure associated with ich. If any one would be open to taking some time to brainstorm I'd be sooo grateful.

iRibbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Some of us do have ponds. I would suggest you need far, far, far, FAR more water volume for starters, plus really high aeration. You can buy some Tetra test strips that will give you some pointers on general hardness and alkalinity in the water. A water stream freefalling into the 'pond' from about 2 feet can help aerate, but I'm guessing your truly major issue is just not enough water and air. There's a site called koiphen that has some special sections on goldfish as well as ponds. My advice is to go get a kiddie wading pool for immediate relief, with that waterfall pump I mentioned, and get those test strips, probably also some baking soda to handle the water balance. (I used 2 lbs of it in my 5000 gallon pond.) Koiphen can help you with recommendations on meds and such, but most of all---more room! And don't bother with those hard-shell pond forms: they tend to float right out of the ground when it rains. Use pondliner in a dug pit, or build a standing frame out of railroad ties, and make a pond out of pondliner than can support them.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fungus, ich, parasites, poisioning, pond