Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2018, 03:26 PM   #1
Kansas Reefer
Registered Member

Problems with Sulphur Reactor Side Effects

I am a newbie reefer. I bought an existing 90 gallon reef system about 7 months ago. I have 8 fish, some soft corals, 4 LPS corals, a cleaner shrimp, a few Turbo snails, and a few hermit crabs along with plenty of live rock. I have under cabinet sump with a filter socks and a Lifereef protein skimmer. I have been performing 20 gallon water changes every two weeks, but my nitrates were constantly high (up to around 50 ppm). After doing some research, I decided that based upon my under cabinet spacing, a Korallin S1502 Sulphur Biodenitrator would be the best solution...and it has done a great job of getting rid of my nitrates (down to about 1 - 1.5 ppm now).

The side affect problems with this device are that my alkalinity is rapidly consumed (I dose around 45 - 50 ml per day) and my calcium levels are way up (500 ppm +).

Any suggestions on what I should do to get my alkalinity/calcium chemistry back in check? I really want to try switching from water changes to the Triton method (house never looks good with trash cans and buckets all over the place, not to mention the water mess itself). As my alkalinity is consumed mostly by the denitrator, there is no way I can switch to any two-part dosing system.

I feed one frozen cube per day usually and also feed my Tangs a piece of dry seaweed every day or two. I'm afraid that if I shut down my denitrator, my nitrates will slowly creep back up. I could try moving to vinegar dosing. What are other sulphur denitrator users doing to combat these same problems?

Kansas Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alkalinity, elevated calcium, nitrates, sulphur denitrator, triton