Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2015, 02:27 PM   #1
mop1
Registered Member

Parasite HELP

Hey all,
So about a month ago I bought a lawnmower blenny who seemed to be perfectly happy. For about a week he was happy and eating all kinds of algae in the tank. After the first week we had the hardest time getting him to eat. He would nibble on stuff, but he never seemed to gain any weight. The past week he was eating Rods food, mysis, and flakes, but still not gaining any weight. This morning I woke up and found him dead at the bottom of the tank with a huge white worm parasite coming up from his gut and out of his gills.

Now, I probably should have figured he had a gut parasite earlier, but I just thought he was being a picky eater as sometimes lawnmower blennies are known to be.

I immediately removed his body, but I'm scared for my other fish. I have a 1.5 year old 55 gallon reef tank, a few soft corals, a pair of clownfish, a pistol shrimp and watchman goby pair, and a cleaner shrimp. Right now everybody seems to be fine and my other fish are eating just fine, but I'm concerned that when the blenny died and the parasite tried to leave his body the other fish were put at risk.

I would love any advice on what to do next. I've never encountered this issue before.

Thanks in advance.

-Mariah

mop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2015, 09:52 PM   #2
mop1
Registered Member

I'm 99% sure it was a parasitic nematode rather than a tapeworm as the worm itself was round and not flat. Should I be worried about my other fish? Should I treat the tank with something? Please help

mop1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lawnmower blenny, parasite, tapeworm