Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

Acro Growth

Here are a few pics of some acro growth over two month period. Trying to take the same pics each month now but color is not always the same. Guess I should take at the same time of day.

Pics on the bottom are about 2 months ago and on top are this week. Don't pay so much attention to the color as that changes depending on time of day.

More comparisons are on the page. I can't get a photo to show up on my posts for some reason only links. Please let me know if you can see the set of pics.

180 Gallon reef tank with coast to coast Herbie overflow. 60 Gallon sump with 9" filter sock. 36" lifereef skimmer, activated carbon filter. Emperor Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reed tank, coast to coast overflow, herbie overflow. Life reef sump and 36" life reef skimmer, GHL Doser 2, Neptune Apex reef controller, Auto topoff, Spectrapure RO system with a Tunze RO controller. activated carbon and no more GFO.

Last edited by Scubajoe1; 08/25/2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: photos not posting
Scubajoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Pife
Registered Member

Embed your photos and you'll get more responses.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

I tried that but they show up as little boxes with question marks. Any idea how to do it? I clock on the photo icon and inset the link but no luck.

180 Gallon reef tank with coast to coast Herbie overflow. 60 Gallon sump with 9" filter sock. 36" lifereef skimmer, activated carbon filter. Emperor Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reed tank, coast to coast overflow, herbie overflow. Life reef sump and 36" life reef skimmer, GHL Doser 2, Neptune Apex reef controller, Auto topoff, Spectrapure RO system with a Tunze RO controller. activated carbon and no more GFO.
Unread 08/25/2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Pife
Registered Member

Click the little box with the mountain landscape and insert the url there. Then before you post click go advanced or preview post and see if you pictures show up.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Unread 08/25/2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

OK here are a couple of the pics. Depends which link I choose from photo bucket apparently. Thanks

Unread 08/25/2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Pife
Registered Member

Your top acro looks to be stning.

Unread 08/26/2015, 04:27 AM   #7
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

stning?

Unread 08/26/2015, 04:39 AM   #8
nemodan
Registered Member

STN: slow tissue necropsy

Stning..... Having STN

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 06:56 AM   #9
kevin_e
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
STN: slow tissue necropsy

Stning..... Having STN
Yes, it doesn't look healthy. Losing tissue and no polyp extension.

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 07:46 AM   #10
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

It's looked the same for two months now and never had any polyp extension even in the store. It's also encrusted quite substantially around the base in two months. I don't think a dying SPS would be encrusting so much but maybe. If this is STN do you recommend a revive dip?

Current water parameters: Alkalinity 9.45, Ca 449, phosphates: 0.06 ppm, nitrates 1.5 ppm, Mg 1400, Temp always between 78.5 and 79.1

No biopellets or GFO for at least 4 months. Water was way too clean at one point so I removed those. Removed those from my signature as well but they seem to still be there.

Last edited by Scubajoe1; 08/26/2015 at 07:56 AM.
Unread 08/26/2015, 08:00 AM   #11
JB NY
Registered Member

I don't think it looks to be STN, I think it is just some shadowing in the picture. A lot of corals will lay down a good base in the beginning and then take time to start showing some real growth at the branches. Right now it is growing, it is just not growing like you want it to.

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2015, 09:13 AM   #12
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubajoe1 View Post

In the top picture the acro looks to have lost a large portion of skin and there is a new bright white chunk of skeleton exposed. Could you get a better picture of that area?

Unread 08/26/2015, 05:06 PM   #13
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

So I did a dip on the coral in revive to make sure there were no AEFL and I am all clear there. It does not look like it's losing tissue but there are some spots where the color is lighter. The underside of this coral is a light brown while the top par is a bright green. I am guessing it's because it's not getting light or as much light on the underside. Is this common? Should I move it up to get more light?

Thanks

Joe

Unread 08/26/2015, 06:51 PM   #14
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

feedback from James at vivid aquariums.

Joe,
That is pretty common to see the underside either a lighter color or brown due to lack of light, but that is normal for most acros particularly the ones that grow very dense. Tissue necrosis would be bone white when the flesh comes off. On a side note i will say that this is much more noticeable when you run LEDs since their light is very directional. If the top half of the coral looks good i would leave it where it is.

James

Thank You,
Vivid Aquariums

Unread 08/27/2015, 06:07 AM   #15
kevin_e
Registered Member

Call it what you want, but there is definite tissue loss. you can clearly see where the tissue ends and the skeleton is exposed. It could very well be from light shadowing, however, that coral is pretty small for that to be the likely cause. Exposed skeleton will turn brown or sometimes darker with a green hint very, very quickly after losing the tissue covering it.

The lack of polyp extension is more troubling to me. It's definitely not happy.

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 06:54 AM   #16
nemodan
Registered Member

Definitely there is missing tissue. But as said, I have learned , on my corals, that in situations like those, to leave the coral alone and have an eye on it. If in 2-3 days it progress, then you have STN. If not, it will just stay like that.

As said also, no polyp extension is an alarm sign. Does this Acro extend its polyps at night ? Take a look to it after 2 hours the lights went off. You have to see the polyps out looking for food. If they are not out...... then I see a problem.

nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2015, 06:59 AM   #17
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

I will let you know if a couple months. I took it out and examined it with a magnifying glass. There is no exposed skeleton. I have seen what exposed coral skeleton looks like.

I have seen this comment in many places when asked what is wrong because I don't see any poly extension.

Nothing - Some SPS just don't have good polyp extension - FWIW, polyps extension isn't always a good determination of whether a coral is healthy or not.

All parameters are good, all other corals are healthy and this one is still growing but like I said I will report back in a couple months. This is a pretty good sized acro about the size of my closed fist. It does not get any light on the underside except for a little reflected light.

Tags
acropora, sps growth