Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2016, 05:57 AM   #1
aarond21
Registered Member

Zoas being eaten by this...

Hello All,
I hope this is the best place to post this question. I recently helped some friends set up a reef tank, I've done my best with answering their questions but this one truly has me stumped. They have lost 2 Zoa frag's in the last 2 weeks. Both have had strange pods/bugs on them. All tank parameters are good, the system is a 28 bowfront w/ a 10 gal sump, ran by a mag 5, and Aqua C remora skimmer. I've looked this bug up and it seems to be a Amphiod or Microfauna but by no means am I certain. Even though you hear these pods are good could they be attacking the corals? Or is there a pest that looks similar to them? That my searching can not find. The picture below is the bugs off a frag that I've just quarantined, I used Revive before putting it in quarantine. If this is a pest what can be done to eliminate the problem? My thoughts are to take the other corals out and Revive them. But prefer not to have to destroy what they've worked so hard on. But I also understand that if this is the only solution than it needs to be done. Thank you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.8 KB, 85 views)
aarond21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2016, 06:43 AM   #2
carrots
Registered Member

Wink

I had something similar to the basic pods on top of my zoas at night. Couldn't be sure if they were responsible for the zoas not doing well or not. I could see them on the coral at night. A reefer buddy told me to get a dottiback and ever since the zoas have been doing great. I haven't seen a pod since the fish intro. Again not sure if the fish played a roll in it or not.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2016, 07:08 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

Those are your common amphipod, and at least IME, won't hurt a thing. In fact, they provide double duty as both detritus eaters (a valuable part of your CUC) and as free live food for many fish. I know my wrasses love them!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2016, 07:21 AM   #4
Mark426
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Those are your common amphipod, and at least IME, won't hurt a thing. In fact, they provide double duty as both detritus eaters (a valuable part of your CUC) and as free live food for many fish. I know my wrasses love them!
You are correct...BUT.... I have witnessed certain amphoids eat perfectly healthy zoas. I dont know if it is just a survival thing where you eat to stay alive or if a particular amphiod species will eat zoas. I know others that have far more experience with zoas than me confirming that it can happen. Best bet may be too get a fish that will control them.

Mark426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, eaten, pest, pods, zoas