Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2017, 02:31 PM   #1
roberto.manon3
Registered Member

Ick or maybe Velvet need help!

Good afternoon guys.

Back in November i had to move and the tank suffered a lot with it. So much that i lost ALL of my fish. I am starting all over but to my bad surprise i already lost a blonde naso. I noticed it started swiming weird close to the surface and was gone in 2 days. I have a sailfin tang and a purple tang that have a bad case of ick, i can see the white spots, but I'm not sure if a hospital tank will be the best option.

I have a 120 gal long tank. I have:

1 coral beauty
2 clowns
1 red wrasse
1 sailfin tang small
1 purple tang medium
1 mandarine goby.

So far only the tangs are showing ick symptoms but I'm affraid of all of my fish now... specially after loosing the small blonde.

Right now i only have a 40 gal hospital with hob skimmer and filter.

1 is it the best idea to pull all of my fish and treat them there?

Hope someone can direct me in the right way

roberto.manon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Sweeper13
Registered Member

Ill try to respond as best as I can.

If they are in a 120 gallon already and no coral I would treat the 120 with copper. This way by not moving them will be better and less stress. Make sure your parameters are good ammonia and nitrite in the 120 g. If the 120g parameters are way off its going to take a lot of water changes and copper to keep it in check. In that case I would get them in the 40 gal and treat with copper. You will need to read up on your fish and the sensitivity they may have with copper. If the 40 is not established with bacteria, then you will probably have ammonia spikes.In that case you will need do water changes to keep the ammonia in check. Plus the 40 will be ezr to deal with when it comes to meds and water changes. Make it bare bottom with pvc for hiding. If its ich , the fish shouldn't die in 2 days, that would be more of Velvet's doing. If its velvet you need to get them in copper asap, but from my understanding of reading on the forum, once you see the symptoms of Velvet its more then likely to late. treat anyway to give the other fish a chance.

If I missed something, Im sure someone will come along and correct .

Last edited by Sweeper13; 03/12/2017 at 11:58 AM.
Sweeper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Sweeper13
Registered Member

If they are in a 120 gallon already and no coral I would treat the 120 with copper. This way by not moving them will be better and less stress. Make sure your parameters are good ammonia and nitrite in the 120 g. If the 120 parameters are way off its going to take a lot of water changes and copper to keep it in check. In that case I would get them in the 40 gal and treat with copper.

I posted this again so that way u will get in your email subscription of the changes i did in my first post. GL

Sweeper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 12:38 PM   #4
jam.jo
Registered Member

Do not use copper in your display tank!!!!! Live rock absorbs copper and therefore you will not be able to keep inverts and corals as your live rock will absorb this and keep it in your system. Copper is a poison and only effective at a small therapeutic window which could easily be overdosed so be very careful. I recommend looking at http://www.americanaquariumproducts....arium_Ich.html. They recommend using paraguard for mild infestations or Quick Cure for moderate to severe infestations and you can purchase both on this website for an easy one stop source. If you plan to use copper be very careful and use the correct copper test kit. You probably will want to consider the copper Hanna checker as this will be the most accurate compared to other test kits. Also do not treat any kind of angel fish(your coral beauty) with copper as they do not tolerate the treatment and 95% of the time will die. You may also want to incorporate the tank transfer method as a second step and freshwater dip in RO/DI for 5 minutes and no longer for each fish before putting them in QT. This may help to burst some of the Ich on the external body (not the ones deep embedded into the gills). Also read up on the lifecycle of Ich. This video from bulk reef supply may also help you https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw6ZGdLgQCs. Good luck and keep us updated.

jam.jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 08:03 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

That the fish out and treat them for ich with TTM (best method, IMO) and let your tank go fallow for at least 72 days; 90 to be safe. While the fish are out take the Sailfin tang back to your LFS, as he will get too big for that tank. With the Purple tang in there, it should be the only tang. There's a possibility that they got ich due to the stress of two of the same species being in that size tank.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, tang, velvet