Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2018, 10:51 AM   #1
kiMxD
Registered Member

Lightbulb Scratching Fish

Hello folks!

My fish, from time to time, will scratch against rocks or substrate and I don't understand why. Perhaps you have guesses?

Just to make it clear, I do not believe is ich, this has been on and off for about three months. They will scratch for few days then stop for few more days and goes back again.

They've never showed any signs of ich, and I actually treated them a while back for ich (copper and metroplex+focus).

They've never showed any sings of any other diseases.

Never lethargic and always eating well.

This makes me so confused, I am not sure if this could be normal or not, but it happens from time to time without any major change in water parameters.
Any tips?

My tank:
90g reef;
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.1
Phosphate: almost none
Alk: 10
Temp: constant 80-80.5
Ammonia: always 0
No2 (nitrite): almost none
No3 (nitrate): almost none

Please, give me your opinions! Thank you!

kiMxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 08:01 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Territory marking?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 08:10 PM   #3
Joe0813
Registered Member

probably ick, even though you did QT with copper the fish tank can still have ick in there unless you put everything through a QT like snails, coral and live rock.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 06:40 AM   #4
HBtank
Premium Member

Can depend, I have a few fish that get annoyed particulates/sand if it gets kicked up, and will flash, I personally don’t worry unless it is persistent. But I am talking a few minutes at a time..

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Cliving1
Registered Member

I would have to say its ich. If you have ever seen ich and the scratch associated, its easily identifiable. I have seen a fish scratch when there was sand disturbed, but that was because of that reason. Can you take pictures of your fish and post them here?

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 11:02 PM   #6
kiMxD
Registered Member

Thank you all for your replies.
Like I said, I do not believe is ich, my fish never had white spot, their fins and body look perfect, reason why this makes me so confused.

It's not like they're scratching everyday and at all times, this happens sometimes only.

Have you ever experienced such behavior?

Unread 03/18/2018, 10:15 AM   #7
Valentini89
Registered Member

I have a pair of clowns that will scratch from time to time, pretty much daily. They have been doing it for months now.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 10:27 AM   #8
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

I have had a hippo tang for 7yrs, he loves to do the occasional scratch. He won’t let the cleaner shrimp do their thing, maybe that’s why, but he *definitely* is not sick, period. Not a spot or mark on him, and he’s gone from 2” to 6”+ . Eats like a pig. My ‘reef sensei’ says it’s bc he’s smooth scaled? jme

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
LauraGreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 09:48 AM   #9
kiMxD
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

I think it's normal then... I also can guarantee my fish is not sick, they eat like pigs and grew in the last three months as well.

But there is one interesting thing, I returned two fish to my LFS because they were kinda too big to my setup (I personally like smaller fish) and I realized that, after returning them, my other fish kinda stopped scratching? Maybe it was a bit of stress because of space competition?

Unread 03/20/2018, 11:43 AM   #10
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Territorial demonstration.
It's a "this is my spot" flash.
I have a royal gramma that flashes a lawnmower, but the lawnmower don't care and strikes his tail on the bottom to throw substrate at the gramma.
Years this has been going on.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, ich, parasite, problems, scratch