Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/26/2021, 12:35 AM   #1
rivarola
Registered Member

Which pump replace the red dragon mini speedy 3

Hello my pump is starting to fail and before it dies or send it to repair I would like to purchase a new one my skimmer is the bubble king internal super Marin 250 but it says it has been discontinued hope someone could guide me.

Thanks in advance

rivarola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2021, 05:01 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

What pump do you have on your SM250? Is it an RD3 or the AC Red Dragon 1?

Does the controller have the quick connect plug that allows you to unplug the motor from the controller?

What is the issue you are having? It likely just needs a deep cleaning. Take it apart and soak the motor, impeller and pump cover in un-diluted household distilled white vinegar for 10 minutes. Do NOT dilute it and do NOT soak for more or less then 10 minutes. Then scrub inside the blocks magnet cavity with a tooth brush. Use a dish brush to scrub the impeller, pump cover and outside of the motor. Then rinse well. The pump should look like new inside and out. Then reassemble. Do this even if the motor looks clean and even if you cleaned it with some other method. This is the best way to clean the pump and the only guaranteed way to clean inside the bearings. It’s not what you can see but often what you can’t see that will cause the motor to go into protection mode and fail to start. Do that first before jumping the gun. And if there is still an issue, the only thing you will likely need is a controller but we can cross that bridge after you do a proper cleaning and or after you let me know what the issue is.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2021, 10:23 PM   #3
rivarola
Registered Member

Thanks for your answer it’s an RD3 it doesn’t create enough force to to do the skimming even after I adjusted to max I try cleaning it only with distilled water but still not enough pressure will do tomorrow what you say and let you know how it went.

rivarola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2021, 05:53 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivarola View Post
Thanks for your answer it’s an RD3 it doesn’t create enough force to to do the skimming even after I adjusted to max I try cleaning it only with distilled water but still not enough pressure will do tomorrow what you say and let you know how it went.
Make sure you check the venturi port on the nozzle where the airline connects for blockages in addition to the proper deep cleaning mentioned above.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote