Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/30/2016, 01:26 PM   #1
nath514
Registered Member

Vermetid snails massive outbreak

I have been fighting a massive vermetid snail outbreak in my nano. No matter how many I break off many more come back. They are decimating my zoa population and I fear if I don't find some way to stop them in short order I will have none left. I have been very very lightly feeding for over a month hoping that would help reduce their numbers but it is not helping. Does anyone know of any tank wide way of eliminating them. I have read several posts about bumble bee snails possibly eating them but I cannot find anywhere to purchase them from.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Nathan

nath514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

SOme suggest Halichoeres chrysus, a variety of yellow coris wrasse, if your tank is large enough. Apparently the species is very specific: there are lookalikes.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Animagus
Moved On

Some people have had success covering the top of the shells with super glue gel. Another option is to break the shell off as close to the base as you can and then smother the remainder with some epoxy. The ones I had just gradually went away over time. By keeping nutrients low I'm guessing they starved to death and the population declined.

How old is your tank btw?

Animagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 02:12 PM   #4
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

snap and scrape. Feed even less, change water and skim like crazy. I've noticed my population has gone down quite a bit since I stopped feeding Mysis so much. I just feed NLS pellets now with Mysis maybe once per week or less.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 03:40 PM   #5
nath514
Registered Member

My tank is only 8 gallons so I can't do any fish that will eat them. I have been keeping the water as clean as possible but they seem to keep coming back and there are so many now that I can't scrape them away fast enough. I was hoping someone else could corroborate the bumblebee snail theory.

Unread 05/31/2016, 01:23 PM   #6
nath514
Registered Member

I am going to try to find some really fine filter media and get the water even cleaner.

Unread 05/31/2016, 01:55 PM   #7
drauka99
Registered Member

I have been using a large pair of forceps to crush them, that seems to be working.

"I sometimes enjoy watching shadow puppet shows" - jpfelix

"Bacon is Love." - Fat Man

Current Tank Info: 240 Algae Farm System Running
drauka99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral death, snail, vermetid snail