Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2016, 08:20 PM   #1
LennytheBlennie
Registered Member

Spionid Worms on Corals.What to do?

I am starting to try my hand at SPS. I purchased a couple of frag packs from a reputable e-tailer. They are in my quarantine tank. I noticed that the Montipora Digitata had a several of spots and two V shaped antenna coming out of them. I did some research and they are definitely Spionid worms. There are 5 or 6 of them on the one frag and now there is one on the neighboring birds nest. I don't want them to spread and infest my corals. Is there a way to get rid of them? Would dipping work? Should I even worry about them? Should I scrap the one coral that has the most? I am not really sure what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

LennytheBlennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 10:28 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

I would generally consider them a beneficial filter feeder, but in some cases they can irritate corals. If you wish you can carefully scrape them off the corals.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2016, 04:09 AM   #3
starkii
Registered Member

More often on corals you find coral barnacles but if they are spionid worms then the advice is the same. They are harmless filter feeders and a natural animal found in corals. If there isn't enough food they will die off and likely be overgrown by the corals tissue.

starkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2016, 08:22 AM   #4
LennytheBlennie
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I will leave them be and keep on eye on the population. I am not feeding that tank much since there are no fish in there at the moment, so hopefully there won't be too many of them.

LennytheBlennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch hiker, pest, spionid worms