Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2017, 09:04 AM   #1
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Strange lesion on Ocellaris

I've been battling a presumed velvet and ich outbreak for the last 6 weeks or so. My last two surviving are a pair of clowns, who had shown no signs of disease through a 14 day TTM which encompassed 2 courses of prazipro, followed by a course of malachite green, and now chloroquine phosphate dosed at 600mg/10 gallon QT.

https://youtu.be/_6M5cLGigHQ This link shows a lesion that appeared about 24 hours ago

It's basically a greyed out area between the eyes, on the white band. It's flat, and doesn't appear to be excavated in any way. The fish has lost appetite, after being a voracious eater through all of the treatment so far. The female appears to be unaffected so far.

Does this look bacterial or fungal? I'm hoping someone can give me some direction on where to go from here. I was hopeful that chloroquine would annihilate this thing once and for all, but it seems not. Definitely losing hope here, but I'm willing to do anything I can.

This is what happens when you believe someone who tells you their chaeto is cultured in a separate system.

pacificdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 10:44 AM   #2
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Lesion ID - photo

Here's a better photo showing the lesion....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg clown lesion.jpg (53.9 KB, 12 views)
Unread 02/01/2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Mishri
Registered Member

how long into the CP treatment are you? it doesn't look fungal or bacterial to me. I'm hoping you can finish it up and just get it back into clean saltwater.. because I have no idea what that is and it could be part of the loss of coloration, a bad reaction to the CP.

What are you feeding? live food or frozen brine might entice it to eat... Fish not eatting isn't a good sign, but they can go a week or 2 without eating and might be from the medication.

Unread 02/01/2017, 12:40 PM   #4
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
how long into the CP treatment are you? it doesn't look fungal or bacterial to me. I'm hoping you can finish it up and just get it back into clean saltwater.. because I have no idea what that is and it could be part of the loss of coloration, a bad reaction to the CP.

What are you feeding? live food or frozen brine might entice it to eat... Fish not eatting isn't a good sign, but they can go a week or 2 without eating and might be from the medication.
Ok thanks. I'm feeding Ocean Nutrition pellets and frozen mysis. I'm hoping you're right and it's a reaction to the CP. I've been treating for 5 days at 60mg/G in a 10G QT. It almost looks like the scales are being lost in that area, revealing orange/gray below where the white would normally be. The other clown in the pair seems to be unaffected. These two had been bulletproof for the entirety of of quarantine until now, and they're the only ones that made it. Horrible. Thanks again for the response.

Unread 02/01/2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Mishri
Registered Member

my clownfish in QT went into a weird mood where all they wanted to eat was flake food.. I dunno.. It could be something wrong with him, I just don't know what it is. I'll have to pick up one of those comprehensive fish disease books I think.

If it is a disease it isn't one of the ones people commonly encounter... oh here is an odd thought... burn from the heater?

Unread 02/01/2017, 12:54 PM   #6
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
my clownfish in QT went into a weird mood where all they wanted to eat was flake food.. I dunno.. It could be something wrong with him, I just don't know what it is. I'll have to pick up one of those comprehensive fish disease books I think.

If it is a disease it isn't one of the ones people commonly encounter... oh here is an odd thought... burn from the heater?
I guess anything's possible, but he never goes to that side of the tank; always hangs out by the pvc pipe. Very confusing. I'm starting to notice the eyes may be a bit cloudy as well. Not looking good over here.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to do besides continue with CP after a 100% water change. I've been doing 50% changes at 4 days.

Tags
chloroquine, clown fish, lesion, ocellaris, parasite