Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Vaesive
Registered Member

Snail not moving for days but not dead

I'm not sure what's going on but my Spiny Star Astraea snail has not moved since Friday afternoon. I keep checking if he is dead (ie, poking his shell or attempting to remove him) and he pull away. Is this normal behavior? The rest of the tank inhabitants seem fine and my parameters are all good (except my Nitrates are 2.5ppm).

Unread 11/16/2015, 09:32 PM   #2
theMatrix
Registered Member.

Ill say yes.
Mine have learned to become nucturnal. I have a predator fish who likes to mess with them and they learn to stay put till the predator fish sleeps...then they do what they want. My crabs also hide in rocks and come out once the lights go out. It wasn't always like that...

theMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Vaesive
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMatrix View Post
Ill say yes.
Mine have learned to become nucturnal. I have a predator fish who likes to mess with them and they learn to stay put till the predator fish sleeps...then they do what they want. My crabs also hide in rocks and come out once the lights go out. It wasn't always like that...
That makes sense but I have nos fish in the tank, yet. He's still in the exact same spot this morning. 4th day in a row...

Unread 11/17/2015, 11:26 AM   #4
skp
Registered Member

Does it have a lot of food at that spot? Sometimes I find when I have slight algae issues, the cuc just stay put because they don't have to forage around for food.

Also, It might be that it is moving around at night but going back to the exact same spot. My crabs and snails all demonstrate that they have the entire tank mapped out and know where they want to go. Try taking a look at 3 am.

skp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Vaesive
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skp View Post
Does it have a lot of food at that spot? Sometimes I find when I have slight algae issues, the cuc just stay put because they don't have to forage around for food.

Also, It might be that it is moving around at night but going back to the exact same spot. My crabs and snails all demonstrate that they have the entire tank mapped out and know where they want to go. Try taking a look at 3 am.
I was wondering if he could be doing that but he's even in the exact same position. I may have to pull out a webcam and record over night to see if he does indeed move. It's so strange. I don't think there's a surplus of food there, especially after 4 days of him not moving.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the tiny anemone that my Pom Pom Crab is holding may have gotten him. I noticed the Crab was hanging out under an outcropping that the snail is near. Maybe he got a little zap on his foot? I wouldn't think it would do so much damage to cause him to recoil for days, though if indeed this is the case.

Thank you everyone so far for your input! It's definitely helping me keep my sanity on this matter XD

Unread 11/18/2015, 03:50 AM   #6
skp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaesive View Post
I was wondering if he could be doing that but he's even in the exact same position. I may have to pull out a webcam and record over night to see if he does indeed move. It's so strange. I don't think there's a surplus of food there, especially after 4 days of him not moving.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the tiny anemone that my Pom Pom Crab is holding may have gotten him. I noticed the Crab was hanging out under an outcropping that the snail is near. Maybe he got a little zap on his foot? I wouldn't think it would do so much damage to cause him to recoil for days, though if indeed this is the case.

Thank you everyone so far for your input! It's definitely helping me keep my sanity on this matter XD
I found that snails die fast when they are dying if that makes any sense. And the shrimps/crabs know when a snail is dying right away. If it hasn't died yet then it isn't dying and it should be ok.

skp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nano, reef, snail