Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2021, 12:18 PM   #1
Traill
Registered Member

Tank dimensions and oxygenation

Hi, all. I’m seeking some advice. I’m considering a new tank build that would take advantage of available vertical space but have a smaller footprint and therefore more limited square footage for O2 exchange at the surface of the water. Something along the lines of 30x20x42” tall or perhaps slightly less. This tank would consist primarily of corals and very few fish/inverts.
Could this work? If I used power heads to keep the surface water moving vigorously and circulating well throughout the tank? I’m aware taller tanks create maintenance challenges. I’m interested in hearing thoughts about keeping that sort of tank size sufficiently oxygenated.

Unread 12/08/2021, 07:48 AM   #2
Timfish
Registered Member

A sump /refugium would significantly increase your surface area for gas exchange and as you've already know good surface movement would help. It's certainly a doable setup. Have fun doing the aquascaping and maintenance in something that tall and narrow though. I'd suggest drilling holes and using PVC pipe or fiberglass rods to hold it together.

https://youtu.be/nRjHGhs-aaY

Unread 12/10/2021, 01:09 PM   #3
Traill
Registered Member

Ah, yes. Thanks. I neglected to factor in sump/refugium. This can be in a different room, not under the DT, so surface area can be improved there.
As far as the aquascaping and maintenance go, I can imagine it is a regular PITA but maybe I’m not being sufficiently realistic about just how bad it is. Maybe some tall tank folks will chime in with specifics?

Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2021, 09:35 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Never going to get to the bottom to do anything.