Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2008, 01:51 PM   #1
alve
Registered Member

Are there any fish to avoid putting with Lyrethail Anthias?

Right now I have 2 clown fish, 5 green chromis, 1 male and 3 female Lyrethail Anthias in my 156g.

I read somewhere but can not find it anymore that Lyrethail Anthias can not go together with Wrasses.
I posted this on the Reef Fish forum and got one response saying that a male Lyrethail Anthias bullied a wrasse until it died.

Some fish I was thinking about possibly adding over time:

- Banggai Cardinal
- Flasher Wrasse
- Purple Fire fish
- Royal Gramma
- Neon Goby
- Blenny (not sure yet which one)

Like you see I prefer small fish, not so sure anymore if they will go with Anthias. Any input of what I can and can not keep with Anthias that are already in my tank? Thanks

alve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2008, 01:56 PM   #2
lilchris
Premium Member

I have a male lyrentail and a christmas wrasse (halichoures ornate). No aggression at all. They don't even pay any attetion to each other.

lilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Alarmguy66
Registered Member

I had a Lyretail and he was fine until the addition of an aggressive fish, at which point he went into hiding and slowly wasted away.

The list you have seems safe (with the possible exception of the wrase, I have no experience with those).

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon, 55 gal sump, mag 18 return, Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, 2 Perc Clowns, Bicolor Blenny, Yellow Watchman Goby, Niger trigger, Blue devil damsel, Clown Goby
Alarmguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2008, 02:18 PM   #4
alve
Registered Member

Did you have the wrasse in your tank before you put in the lyrethail?

I was looking at the Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse and this is the info it gives at Liveaquaria:

"the Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse should be the first species introduced into the aquarium. It is best to keep it with peaceful tank mates."

Unfortunately I didn't read this before I got the Anthias...

Observing my 1 male and 3 females they seem to be pretty aggressive, especially when it gets to feeding time. I wonder if they could cause a problem with other smaller fish too.

Unread 02/26/2008, 02:48 PM   #5
yoboyjdizz
Registered Member

My lyretails were put in with an emperor angel, blue tang, moorish idol, pair of clowns and a blenny with no problems at all. Recently added purple, yellow and powder blue tangs and a mandarin with no problems either.. I believe you will be fine.

yoboyjdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2008, 04:10 PM   #6
alve
Registered Member

Thanks for the info everyone! Since most of you don't seem to have a problem I will try it and hope for the best.

Unread 02/26/2008, 05:31 PM   #7
rbursek
Moved On

I do not remember the order but I have a male and 2 female Lyrare Tail Anthias, a Blue Star Leopard wrasse, I added a SIX Line later, no problems the wrasse go about there business, and the Anthia's do there's, as a rule the wrasses are swimming low and in the rocks, the Anthia's are swimming med to high and not in the rocks.

rbursek is offline   Reply With Quote