Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2009, 07:20 PM   #1
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Liter Meter III replacement tubing

Does anyone know what kind of tubing the Liter Meter pumps use?

I've found replacement tubing kits at like $15 ea but I'm sure I could probably purchase the tubing by the foot somewhere and come out much better.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!
coralfragger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 07:06 AM   #2
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

BUMP.

Someone has to have ordered replacement tubing before. There are so many choices and sizes of tubing I don't even know how to begin.

I have emailed Spectrapure to see if they will give me the technical info on the tubing but I've received no response from them yet. Probably because they want to sell their own 8" little sections of it for $15 ea.

Unread 06/11/2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Logzor
Registered Member

Which tubing? The hard white plastic or the flexible stuff?

The tubing you want is just the 1/4" stuff at the hardware store.

Logzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 11:00 AM   #4
AugustWest
Premium Member

I ordered RO Tubing from Marine Depot. 40 cents a foot for my LM III.

AugustWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Doahh
Registered Member

He wants the Neoprene stuff used in the pump head... where the rollers contact it.

Couldnt you just get out some Calipers and measure the stuff and order Neoprene tube at a medical supply?

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Custom SW Reef
Doahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2009, 09:14 AM   #6
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Yes, I am talking about the soft tubing that goes over the rollers. I don't have anything to measure this tubing that exact.

I got an answer from spectrapure and they tell me that the materials in their tubing is proprietary and is made just for their meters. I realize this is just an attempt to make me buy their own $15 kits but if I can't figure out what the stuff is I guess I'll have no choice.

Unread 06/12/2009, 09:33 AM   #7
AugustWest
Premium Member

Sorry, I thought you meant the rigid Tubing. I have my LM3 for 6 years and have only replaced the soft tubing once....I paid the 15$ for it. Not bad IMO for a very reliable pump that has been in operation 24/7 for over 6 years.
Good luck in your quest to find it somewhere else though.

Unread 06/12/2009, 09:44 AM   #8
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Apparantly I have two of the older pumps and one of the newer pumps and they are different tubings.

I went ahead an ordered them from Spectrapure. $80 for 3 pieces of tubing delivered. I don't think that is cheap at all.

Unread 06/12/2009, 09:46 AM   #9
SWINGRRRR
Premium Member

I know I'm late, but if you can figure out the size, here's a cheap source.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...roduct_id=7720

Current Tank Info: 45gal Rimless mixed reef--SWC 150BMK--2xMP10ESW--Giesemann 150W HQI
SWINGRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 01:27 AM   #10
seattownreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWINGRRRR View Post
I know I'm late, but if you can figure out the size, here's a cheap source.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...roduct_id=7720
bump, has anyone tried this tubing yet for the LM3?

seattownreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2012, 09:40 AM   #11
ninjazx777
Registered Member

so has anyone figured out where to get the tubing yet.

ninjazx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2013, 06:46 AM   #12
LouH
LouH

This must be a tough nut to crack. It's been 4 years and nobody has figured it out yet. I suppose I'll just by from Spectra Pure also.

LouH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2016, 09:37 PM   #13
atraperegrinus
Registered Member

Back from the dead for this thread, but, for the record 5/16 OD 3/16" ID with 1/16" wall thickness is the original stuff that it comes with.

I do however NOT know what material their "proprietary" tube is, but I'm going to try Pharmed Tygon peristaltic tube. If its good enough for very expensive medical dosing equipment, then it should be plenty fine for my LM3 pumps.

I will update after i get the tube and try it out.

Also, for the record, this tube i'm getting, I'm getting about the equivalent of 20 to 30 replacements tubes for the cost of 1 replacement tube.

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef - 110g Display Tank - C2C Overflow /w Bean Animal | 125g Sump/Fuge | Vertex Omega 150 | Waveline DC12000 | Apex Neptune Controller | Gyre 250's x2 | Ocean Revive LED's | SpectraPure LM3 AWC | Tunze 3155 ATO /w LM3 pump |
atraperegrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2016, 09:52 PM   #14
aaronpentz
Registered Member

I know brs pumps use Santoprene tubing. I believe that's what liter meter also uses. I had one a while back and It feel the same as the brs stuff

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2016, 04:21 PM   #15
atraperegrinus
Registered Member

swapped it out with the old hoses on my LM3 pumps with the above mentioned pharmed tube, and it seems to pump the same water at the same flow, so i guess we'll see how long they last now.

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef - 110g Display Tank - C2C Overflow /w Bean Animal | 125g Sump/Fuge | Vertex Omega 150 | Waveline DC12000 | Apex Neptune Controller | Gyre 250's x2 | Ocean Revive LED's | SpectraPure LM3 AWC | Tunze 3155 ATO /w LM3 pump |
Unread 03/06/2016, 10:09 AM   #16
Fury165
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atraperegrinus View Post

swapped it out with the old hoses on my LM3 pumps with the above mentioned pharmed tube, and it seems to pump the same water at the same flow, so i guess we'll see how long they last now.
Interested in how this turns out for you. Please post an update in the near future. Can you also post a link to where you got your tubing from.

Fury165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2016, 10:33 AM   #17
AugustWest
Premium Member

Sure looks like the same stuff

Unread 03/06/2016, 08:25 PM   #18
atraperegrinus
Registered Member

yeah, this stuff i got in just doesn't have the smooth tape on it like what comes on the spectrapure tube.

time will tell.

Unread 03/06/2016, 08:50 PM   #19
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

McMaster Carr sells peristaltic tubing by the foot.
Go to mcmastercarr.com then search for peristaltic tubing.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2016, 09:09 PM   #20
atraperegrinus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member No. 1 View Post
McMaster Carr sells peristaltic tubing by the foot.
Go to mcmastercarr.com then search for peristaltic tubing.
that's what this is, i just got it off amazon, which i did to test. from now on i can get it through work much cheaper.

i found this while searching for alternatives.

also this was mentioned by a tubing vendor. ( not at all related to spectrapure or anything, just in general )

Santoprene is a genral term for a Thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) which is a mix of polymers (usually a plastic and a rubber) I am not a big fan of it. Santoprene is a cheap thermoplastic that in my experince is prone to splitting. I comes on many commercial dosing pumps (aquamedic,ReefDoser and cheaper dosing pumps)

Santoprene tubing was developed for sale to peristalic degergent dosing companies that make automatic dishwashers and large scale laundry companies.

if you pump does have Santoprene tubing its no big deal you just have to watch it.
I would highly reccomend Norprene/Pharmed and if you can find it Marprene ( it is the best out there one tube lasts over 5 years with proper cleaning)

for the record, the Marprene he mentions is like $117 for a decent length piece, so obviously thats not really an option. LOL

but the pharmed stuff i got was $20 for like 60" on amazon.

Unread 03/06/2016, 09:15 PM   #21
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Thanks for the info.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2016, 09:20 PM   #22
atraperegrinus
Registered Member

Amazon also has 25 feet of Norprene for $31 with prime shipping, so for the price of 2 replacement kits you'd get essentially a lifetime supply lol

Unread 03/07/2016, 06:17 AM   #23
Fury165
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atraperegrinus View Post
that's what this is, i just got it off amazon, which i did to test. from now on i can get it through work much cheaper.

i found this while searching for alternatives.

also this was mentioned by a tubing vendor. ( not at all related to spectrapure or anything, just in general )

Santoprene is a genral term for a Thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) which is a mix of polymers (usually a plastic and a rubber) I am not a big fan of it. Santoprene is a cheap thermoplastic that in my experince is prone to splitting. I comes on many commercial dosing pumps (aquamedic,ReefDoser and cheaper dosing pumps)

Santoprene tubing was developed for sale to peristalic degergent dosing companies that make automatic dishwashers and large scale laundry companies.

if you pump does have Santoprene tubing its no big deal you just have to watch it.
I would highly reccomend Norprene/Pharmed and if you can find it Marprene ( it is the best out there one tube lasts over 5 years with proper cleaning)

for the record, the Marprene he mentions is like $117 for a decent length piece, so obviously thats not really an option. LOL

but the pharmed stuff i got was $20 for like 60" on amazon.
Great info, thanks for posting.

Fury165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2016, 07:22 AM   #24
atraperegrinus
Registered Member

take it with a grain of salt though guys, like i said I only posted what I seen what i assume was a vendor posted on another website.

not saying the santoprene tube is bad, just that there might be alternatives that are plenty well acceptable or possibly better substitutes. I'll update as times goes on with the pharmed tube though.

and i think i'll go ahead and order the norprene to test that in my 3rd pump.

Unread 03/07/2016, 08:12 PM   #25
zachts
Registered Member

Pharmed or Noroprene are my guess as to what Litermeter uses given the long life they say you should expect, no other tubing material lasts near as long. I forget what santoprene is rated for but it doesn't seem to last all that long in the BRS dosers......

zachts is offline   Reply With Quote