Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2020, 12:41 PM   #1
drdavethedude
Premium Member

9015 impellar

Hello,

I read here some time ago that the 9015 skimmer AC has a newer (yellow) impellar that makes the skimmer a little quieter.

I ordered one a few mos ago with the intention of switching it out when time to clean my skimmer pump. Well today was that day and when I tried inserting the newer impellar it seemed the magnet is too wide! Maybe I could of forced it in, but didn't want to try as it would probably wedge. Side by side with the old one definitely showed slightly greater diameter.

Unfortunately I threw out the wrapping the impellar came in, but pretty sure it said 9015...but is it the right one?

Thanks.
Dave

impellar.JPG

drdavethedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2020, 12:51 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The impeller you show belongs to a 9410 skimmer. The 9015 received a pump update and magnet holders became standard equipment and that became the 9016, both 9015 and 9016 are obsolete older models with no updates planned. The 9011.040 pump of the 9016 is generally quieter than the older 9010.040 pump of the 9015 but the difference is not much assuming the 9015 is in good working order, you can install a 9011.040 in a 9015.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2020, 12:33 PM   #3
drdavethedude
Premium Member

sincere apology Roger, I had a brain fart when posting...the skimmer I have is indeed a 9410

Unread 02/15/2020, 12:39 PM   #4
drdavethedude
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdavethedude View Post
sincere apology Roger, I had a brain fart when posting...the skimmer I have is indeed a 9410
So as mentioned in the first post, referring to the 9410 skimmer, this impellar's magnet is noticeably fatter than the one I have and wouldn't easily fit the pumps chamber and I didn't want to force it....seems you have confirmed that it is the correct impellar for the 9410...should I force it in, and am I correct that it's slightly greater in diameter than the original impellar?

Dave

Unread 02/17/2020, 08:03 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I would not force it, my assumption would be either the pump is damaged and has swollen up or less likely the impeller has a defect. If the pump had locked up or run dry, when they overheat the coil swells up and reduces the clearance inside the rotor well.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 02/20/2020, 10:33 AM   #6
drdavethedude
Premium Member

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply. The pump has indeed seized a few times over the years when I didn't clean it for a while and it gunked up with calcium deposits.

But each time just like this last time, the skimmer works fine after with the original impellar....does that make you think it's not damaged, or it might still be?

The only reason I got this new impeller was because you posted somewhere here that the skimmer is a bit quieter with this newer design and I have always found my skimmer a bit "buzzy"

Also, if I do at some point need a new pump, do the new AC pumps come with the new yellow impellar?
And would you recommend I change to the DC version or stay with what I have been using?

Thanks,
Dave

Unread 02/20/2020, 10:36 AM   #7
drdavethedude
Premium Member

Also, thought I should mention again, before even trying to insert the new yellow impellar, I noticed the magnet looks fatter when held side by side with the original

Unread 02/20/2020, 12:23 PM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

One possibility would be your skimmer is quite old and the motor is the old design before the cooling duct was added. For the first year or two their was a hose concealed in the motor that served the same function and the clearances were different. All new 9410's ship with the yellow needlewheel impeller.

The DC pumps are easier to adjust and tune and more forgiving of water levels that are less than optimal because you can turn down the pump, but they are not quieter and a DC pump will not last as long as an AC pump simply becuase you have more components and electronic circuitry and much more can go wrong. This is a personal preference. Personally, I like DC pumps for powerheads and otherwise I like the reliability of AC pumps for my skimmer and return pumps.

Unread 02/20/2020, 01:06 PM   #9
drdavethedude
Premium Member

Thanks! I think you nailed it..my skimmer I got shortly after it came out so it's likely the older pump design with a narrower chamber. Also true that they last a long time as it still works fine after many years!

Hope you don't mind one last question please, and maybe why the "9015" was in my head when first posting.

I originally used the foam extractor but recently went back to the cup as I didn't like the extra container in my sump to collect skimmate.

Is the 9015 cup a noticeable improvement in this skimmer's performance by allowing opening up the air valve, or should I just leave well enough alone as it skims well as is. I just always felt it might be a bit under-powered for my 120 gallon reef.

Thank you,
Dave

Unread 02/20/2020, 02:54 PM   #10
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I don't think it would be underpowered as is for a 120, the 9015 cup lets you open the air up almost all the way, for that matter with the DC pump you can get a lot more power with the big cup as the DC pump is stronger, at half power the DC pump has the output of the AC pump at full power.