Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2020, 03:44 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

acclimating acros to higher light kessil ap700 + 360x on 120

Hi,

I can safely keep even my acros only on or near the bottom of my 22" tall tank. I have a a700 in middle and 360 x on each side (for equal lighting). They are at 80%. Bottom of tank gets about 250 par. one acro I was able to get about 7" off the bottom wihtout it starting to decline. Another is off to side about 5" up. If I put any other this level they tend to decline and will die if I leave them there.

I donb't want to be stuck having all my acros on the very bottom lol. But the par rating mid and higher up isnt THAT high. It's maybe 300-350 where the 'higher' acros are. My nutriens are too low, I know that. My nitrate about 4 ppm ( I need to retest) phosphourous about 7 pp Billion = .007 ppm, which I htikn is .002 ppm phosph. I know too low. Which is why I keep alk in mid 7's max. As stable as I can. I also foudn that Acro power helps to keep color and growth and health (in absense of phosph?).

The obvious answer is to lower my lighting level. But seems odd to me b/c it's not THAT high. Also I have a ritteri that totally loves it. It is a light ho*r lol It's way at top of overflow right under the a700, doing wonderful. So I dont want to make it unhappy, it's the star of my tank

Anyone else with similar situation? I mean if lowering light is the only answer, (other than dosing po4, which I dont want to do and I heard doesnt really work well b/c it wont stay 'high'), then I'll do it.. but the tank is a perfect brightness to just look at now also. ugh

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Four drachma
Registered Member

Acros need to acclimate to your specific lighting. I’ve found that placing them about 12 to 15 inches below the surface with adequate flow, they do great. After about 3 weeks, I can usually move them to their selected spot, and they continue growing. If I ever have one that looks unhappy, it’s usually flow, but I put it back where I acclimated it, and wait until it’s looking healthy again..

4 things I do that increases the success of their health is, good flow, good lighting, chemical parameters have to be right, and I feed them ouster feast or reef roids daily, until established.

These little sticks are usually expensive, so it’s worth the attention to detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2020, 06:48 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Thanks four, but my acros cant get above 15" below water level. << I will try to increase the flow though, as it may be a higher flow on the bottom than the middle areas poasibly.

Anyone with similar lighting to mine? and what do you do?

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Four drachma
Registered Member

acclimating acros to higher light kessil ap700 + 360x on 120

Ok, just trying to help...I suspect that the lighting isn’t the issue...I think you’re onto the issue when you say-you may have more flow at the bottom and not enough in the center, where they’re struggling.

I have four kessil A360x’s, plus two large off brand LED’s, and two MH’s. My tank is much larger, (400 gallon), 32” deep, 80”x36”, and at 12to 15 “ deep my acros are flourishing. I’m definitely providing higher par than you are...my guess is your chemistry is not consistently correct, and your flow isn’t strong enough..

SPS is such a challenge, but their beauty makes them worth the effort. Part of the challenge is keeping the calcium, alk, magnesium in the proper ranges-consistently...phosphates have to be controlled as well.

I struggled until I invested in a calcium and sulfur reactor.. look into them, and see if that looks like something you might want to add. In the long run, your corals will be more successful, and it takes a few years , but you get your $ back from buying less additives.

I added both, a calcium and sulfur reactor a while back. I was struggling with keeping consistent levels and algae cycles, but not anymore. I still have to add magnesium, and very small doses of calcium and alkalinity, but no GFO, or phosphate reactor, nothing. So it eventually pays for itself..

Do you have a pic of your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Four drachma; 02/28/2020 at 08:34 AM.
Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote