Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2009, 04:38 PM   #51
dragoneggs
Registered Member

I'm am definitely leaning toward the infinity... the low noise is extremely important to me.

dragoneggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2009, 12:25 AM   #52
lzolnier
Registered Member

I coudln't pass up a sweet deal for the Giesemann Refflex fixture and got it used from someone. I've experimented with HQI's before (Aquamedic and Odyssea) but was never satisfied with their colour, level of brightness and ballast/fan noise. As a result Ive stuck with t5's. The Giesemann's output is just totally a cut above any MH I've ever had and there is actually zero noise, even though the Reflexx is one of their lowest priced units.

The concern I have with this model is with the internal ballast design and the lack of any fans or cooling vents in the body. As far as you know, is this unit prone to overheating and damage? Heres the link to the model I have. Look at the pic automatically scrolling through on top to see what the body looks like ( note: I understand that the newer Reflexx models do have vents but not this one)

http://www.giesemann.de/101,2,,.html

Also whats the difference between this model and the Giesemann Basic HQI. They seem thesame in appearance.

lzolnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2009, 12:47 AM   #53
dragoneggs
Registered Member

Noise or lack there of... is extremely important to me with me new set up. Thanks for the feedback.

dragoneggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2009, 01:31 AM   #54
lzolnier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoneggs View Post
Noise or lack there of... is extremely important to me with me new set up. Thanks for the feedback.
I've only had experience with one Giesemann fixture and I can tell you that there is zero noise coming from them. Zero, zip, nada, which is amazing.

Unread 01/01/2010, 05:36 PM   #55
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Question guys. Will a 4 ft infinity cover a 60 X 28 X 22 with no issues? Thanks

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2010, 06:42 PM   #56
tufacody
Registered Member

For all that money you'd think they could put in a few moonlights on even the lower models.

tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2010, 02:59 PM   #57
capn_birdseye
Registered Member

Does anyone know if a Giesemann purchased in Europe would work in the USA? Would they need a new ballast or transformers?

capn_birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 01:34 AM   #58
lzolnier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufacody View Post
For all that money you'd think they could put in a few moonlights on even the lower models.

Moonlights are useless for fish and corals. They only look pretty when everything else is out.

Unread 01/06/2010, 06:19 AM   #59
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoneggs View Post
the infinity is absolutely quiet. there is no moving parts and the ballast is electronic so no noise there either. no noise at all!

reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 06:19 AM   #60
LesMartin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_birdseye View Post
Does anyone know if a Giesemann purchased in Europe would work in the USA? Would they need a new ballast or transformers?
European Giessemann's usually come with magnetic ballasts and are 220/240v 50Hz. In the UK at least we don't have the option of electronic ballasts or ordering without ballasts.

LesMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2010, 06:32 AM   #61
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. the pleasure of looking at the tank at night is really nice. I added my own to my fixture.

here's a closeup of it sew into the fixture.

when the fixture is hung you cannot see the moon lights unless you are looking from below the tank

Unread 01/06/2010, 07:01 AM   #62
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong03 View Post
Spectra waiting bulbs

that fixture looks awesome! are the ballast electronic? can you tell me the dimmensions of the ballast? what spectrum and how do you like the bulbs of the hqi and t5's that come with the fixture?

thanks

Unread 01/06/2010, 05:22 PM   #63
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike de Leon View Post
Question guys. Will a 4 ft infinity cover a 60 X 28 X 22 with no issues? Thanks
Any takers?

Unread 01/06/2010, 06:03 PM   #64
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike de Leon View Post
Any takers?
that depends on your rock formation. if your scaping is mostly in the middle of the tank, then yes. if your scaping takes it all the way out to the edge then you'd probably have to raise your lights higher than normal and i would then suggest going with a higher wattage fixture. just my thought.

Unread 01/06/2010, 07:30 PM   #65
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefsahoy View Post
that depends on your rock formation. if your scaping is mostly in the middle of the tank, then yes. if your scaping takes it all the way out to the edge then you'd probably have to raise your lights higher than normal and i would then suggest going with a higher wattage fixture. just my thought.
Thanks. How's the spread on these lights? Given the HQI with smaller reflectors do you end up with shadows?

Unread 01/07/2010, 07:50 PM   #66
capn_birdseye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMartin View Post
European Giessemann's usually come with magnetic ballasts and are 220/240v 50Hz. In the UK at least we don't have the option of electronic ballasts or ordering without ballasts.
Thanks Les...so I guess I'd have to get a 110v to 220v transformer.

capn_birdseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2010, 02:26 PM   #67
TChristman
Premium Member

Just ordered an Infinity. 24" 150 model for my frag tank. I am excited. Tank is only 16 inches deep so I decided to go with the 150 and I can run the T5s all the time and I am still less than a 250 bulb. Now the waiting.

TChristman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2010, 09:48 AM   #68
NaH2Ofreak
Premium Member

Where did you order from TChristman? Im thinking of ordering the same thing.

Thanks
Dennis

NaH2Ofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2010, 12:33 AM   #69
ryanjiang
Registered Member

Guys, what type of ballast is included in the Spectra? Electronic? I saw Infinity come with electronic, but not sure about spectra.
Anyone has run 250W Radium with the included Giesemann ballast? How does it looks like?
If I order spectra without ballast, do I just need to buy any general ballast and use in the fixutre?
Thanks, Ryan

Unread 01/16/2010, 12:40 AM   #70
customdusty
Registered Member

Here is a shot of my tank with a silver finished 48" Infiniti with 2x150w Radium 20ks, 3x 54w Blue+, 1x 54w KZ Fiji Purple.

Here is a DIY mod I did to give it some moonlights, there are more pictures of it on my build thread. I really liked the design of it, it was easy to take it apart and re-build it to do the mods.

Current Tank Info: 105g Mixed Rimless Starphire by Miracles - Reefthreads.com "Noteworthy Tank" November 19, 2010 Podcast #13 - Sfiligoi Stealth 12x39 T5 - 2x Vortech MP40W - BK/Vertex Alpha Cone 200 - Neptue Apex - 2 Part - Tunze ATO - BRS 5 Stage RO/DI
customdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 08:34 PM   #71
RVANANO
SWAGON

I just bought the Infinity 48" with twin 250W & Megachrome 15k and 4 blue T5's.

I got 20% off b/c they had it in inventory for a while. AT some point someone took one of the icecaps so they are getting me a new one.

I plugged one ballast into each side and only each halide would come on. Do both ballasts need to be connected for the T5's to work?

RVANANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2010, 11:40 PM   #72
aoc230
Aoc230

ill tell ya this much, the 800$ plus i paid for the moon light addition is definitely not worth the money. its one light? yeah one light that hits the tank yellow and only lights up half the tank, sucky .... nice system besides that though.

for the fact that no noise is made, i dont agree with that, maybe cause its the 72" but when this thing first lit, i thought i was going to blow and it scared me, so yeah its initial lighting is VERY noisy and then a little humming(mind ya mines pumping out 1110watts)

Quote:

aoc230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2010, 01:51 PM   #73
RVANANO
SWAGON

Finally got my system figured out. The store I got mine from had taken one of the ballasts to swap out for a customer. They ordered me a new one which was the one with two plugs for pass through to T5's.

Fired it up last night and my goodness what incredible output!!! Can't wait to set up my 120!!!!

IMG_6130

IMG_6129

IMG_6135[/QUOTE]

RVANANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2010, 04:20 AM   #74
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

For those of you who own the infinity 2x150Watt version who want to upgrade to 2 x 250 watt. I upgraded mine after an accident and it was pretty easy. just buy 2 x 250 watt clips, replace them, no mods to the reflector or fixture needed. Then replace the ballast! That's it!

Unread 03/16/2010, 04:20 AM   #75
noobtothereef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylorarm View Post
expensive/beautifull light, expensive/beautifull tank and corals, but whats up with the stand??

Current Tank Info: 120gallon 2-darts, 2-evo 1400's...piles of flow.. RKE with an easy button
noobtothereef is offline   Reply With Quote