Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2016, 05:29 PM   #1
madmike10000
Registered Member

Lowering nitrate

I have a 75 gallon tank that has been up for a year and I can't seem to get my nitrates to go under 20 ppm. I change 8 gallons a week with rodi water and it doesn't do anything. The tank has been bb for 2 weeks now because I wanted more flow for my sps. And to try to bring it down. I don't know what to try. I don't have any algae growing or anything and my p04 always test 0. Maybe start carbon dosing? But idk very much about that.
Salinity 34ppt Alk 9
Temp 80. Calcium 440
Mag 1350. Phosphate 0
Nitrate 20. Ph 8.2
2x mp40s
Chinese leds
20 gallon sump with filter sock changed ever 3 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

madmike10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 06:13 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Water changes typically don't work. Carbon dosing might be reasonable to try. Reducing the feeding might be helpful as well.

Unread 10/31/2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Volka, vinegar, NO3:PO4-X or chaeto will help. Try to adjust skimmer export more, vacuum sand bed, exchange filter shock regularly

Tanthaitrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 07:52 PM   #4
madmike10000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanthaitrung View Post
Volka, vinegar, NO3:PO4-X or chaeto will help. Try to adjust skimmer export more, vacuum sand bed, exchange filter shock regularly

No sand in my tank and I change every 3 days. I have no fuge. I bought some vodka and I'm gonna try to vodka dose.

Unread 11/01/2016, 12:27 PM   #5
Reefable
Registered Member

Nopox works great along with reduced feeding. I had the same issue and I got it down thru reduced feeding and using nopox. My nitrates were at 40-50ppm a month ago and now its between 2-5ppm.

Reefable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2016, 01:03 PM   #6
Mad_Reefer
Registered Member

Deep sand bed and macro algae has always worked for me.

Mad_Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2016, 02:04 PM   #7
sandipan.ece
Registered Member

I know some dont agree, but I think for tanks smaller than 75 gallons (and yours is right on the mark), water change is an effective nutrient export method. Particularly when your nitrate is too high and you need to bring it down quickly.
Apart from water change, I personally use a good quality skimmer and an Algae scrubber from Santa Monica. Both are very effective in exporting nutrient and thereby reducing nitrates.

Current Tank Info: 43 Gallon, Redsea reefer 170
sandipan.ece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2016, 02:40 PM   #8
mannytorres16
Registered Member

i have a 40 gal, and I remember I had really high nitrates in my aquarium years ago, in the high hundreds! and many large water changes helped me lower them to about 10ppm, but it took like 3 weeks for me to fix that prob(I had no fish when I had this prob). I severely lacked maintenance when this happened, but now I learned my lesson and change 10-15% of my water every 2 weeks. in my opinion and experience water changes DO WORK. so maybe you just need to do a bigger water change, feed less, and do plenty of maintenance.

mannytorres16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2016, 05:20 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

The problem with using water changes to lower the nitrate level is that the level can bounce back up very quickly if there's an underlying problem, like insufficient filtration. If a tank is new or has had some shock, then water changes can help a lot.

Unread 11/02/2016, 07:55 AM   #10
madmike10000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
The problem with using water changes to lower the nitrate level is that the level can bounce back up very quickly if there's an underlying problem, like insufficient filtration. If a tank is new or has had some shock, then water changes can help a lot.

It does bounce back quick when I do large water changes. Idk why thought.

Unread 11/02/2016, 07:58 AM   #11
madmike10000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannytorres16 View Post
i have a 40 gal, and I remember I had really high nitrates in my aquarium years ago, in the high hundreds! and many large water changes helped me lower them to about 10ppm, but it took like 3 weeks for me to fix that prob(I had no fish when I had this prob). I severely lacked maintenance when this happened, but now I learned my lesson and change 10-15% of my water every 2 weeks. in my opinion and experience water changes DO WORK. so maybe you just need to do a bigger water change, feed less, and do plenty of maintenance.

I change about 12% a week. I barely feed as it is. I have a 2 clowns, yellow wrasse, pajama cardinal. I change my socks every 3 days and I skim wet with a bubble Magnus curve 5. My matenence is pretty good. Every time I try to do large water changes it just goes back up to 20

Unread 11/02/2016, 08:01 AM   #12
NaturalReef
Registered Member

Also make sure there isn't a detritus trap somewhere in your tank or sump. In the back filtration area of my IM lagoon 50 there are dead spots where detritus collects. I have to use a turkey baster to clear those areas of detritus.

NaturalReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2016, 12:21 PM   #13
spkennyva
Registered Member

This helped me:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2526998

spkennyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2016, 10:09 AM   #14
fixingstill
Registered Member

All-in-one NP BioPellets? I am still reading about it. It says it could lower the nitrate...

fixingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2016, 01:45 AM   #15
waterman78
Registered Member

My suggestion would be to clean your skimmer and other pieces of equipment. Your skimmer could just be at that point where it needs to be cleaned. Also, try dry skimming to allow the water to be cleaned by the skimmer - - - allow it to do it's job. It sounds like you recently removed the sand from your tank and maybe the tank is cycling again due to your base rock leaching out waste. If you can, add some activated carbon to assist with absorbing the foul waste. Just my two cents.

Larry

Current Tank Info: Reef: 40g breeder with a Aquamaxx HOB skimmer, 250w MH pendant and a 1/10hp chiller.
waterman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2016, 04:06 PM   #16
jml1149
Registered Member

Not to be silly, but have you tried a different test kit? I was using a Salifert test kit, and my results were significantly higher than expected. So I went out and got an API test kit, and my results were much more reasonable. Now that I had two different test results, I sent off for one of the AquaMedic samples, and the API kit was much closer to the professional results than the Salifert kit. Sometimes, just get bad batches. Probably the case in my experience.

Long story short, if you're that concerned about it, before you do anything drastic, I would verify your results with another, independent test kit. I think the API nitrate test kit runs 8 bucks at the local pet store (not LFS).

Unread 11/28/2016, 04:08 PM   #17
madmike10000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml1149 View Post
Not to be silly, but have you tried a different test kit? I was using a Salifert test kit, and my results were significantly higher than expected. So I went out and got an API test kit, and my results were much more reasonable. Now that I had two different test results, I sent off for one of the AquaMedic samples, and the API kit was much closer to the professional results than the Salifert kit. Sometimes, just get bad batches. Probably the case in my experience.

Long story short, if you're that concerned about it, before you do anything drastic, I would verify your results with another, independent test kit. I think the API nitrate test kit runs 8 bucks at the local pet store (not LFS).

I tested my friends aquarium and it showed zero just like he said it was as well as my brothers tank is at around 5 which was correct so I don't think it's the test kit.

Unread 11/28/2016, 08:24 PM   #18
organism
code monkey

I think vodka dosing might be a good way to go, just start off really slow. There's an article in Reefkeeping magazine that might help, it's what I used.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

Unread 11/28/2016, 08:42 PM   #19
biecacka
Registered Member

I use a homemade nopox mixture. Vodka and vinegar and it helped lower mine last year.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 11:18 AM   #20
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that any kind of detritus trap, like sponges, biological filter media, or many types of sand, can lead to a higher nitrate level. I'd look there. How much food is going into the tank each day, and what types?

Unread 12/01/2016, 08:50 PM   #21
penkey49harley
Registered Member

Corey, can I ask what are your ratios of vinegar and vodka? Anything else you mix for your homemade concoction? :-)

penkey49harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 12:17 PM   #22
dartier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penkey49harley View Post
Corey, can I ask what are your ratios of vinegar and vodka? Anything else you mix for your homemade concoction? :-)
You can find the DIY NOPOX recipe in this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2408985)

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote