Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Kalk in ATO

I have been struggling with low Alk and low Calcium since I started testing after adding my first Hammer coral. My results are always just barely acceptable according to the recommended ranges.

I'm leaning towards adding a small amount of Kalk to my ATO and have a question. My ATO container is 3 gallons and sits inside my stand were space is a premium. So much so, that in order to remove my ATO container, I have to drain most of the sump, remove the GFO reactor, slide the sump all the way to the side and then wiggle out the ATO container. Since I set up the ATO, I just use a funnel to fill the container.

So my problem is that it's would be a nightmare to remove the container if necessary.

Is it OK to mix up 5 gallons at a time in a bucket, and decant the supernatant after it settles, then add that to the ATO? I can't think of any reason why that would be an issue, but just wanted to check first.

I'm also using airline tubing for my pump so it's just basically dangling in the ATO container. Is there an easy way to position it off the bottom and keep it from moving? I just thought someone might have a cool trick since regular airline tubing tends to curl up.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 08:23 AM   #2
BigAl2007
Registered Member

A) Honestly you shouldn't have much of an issue with a single hammer coral unless it's HUGE and by huge I mean basketball size (80+) heads. I've grown Euphyllia in a 10g to the point the whole tank was hammer, torch or Frogspawn and with weekly (or every other week sometimes) water changes my parameters never even hit the "low/acceptable" levels.

B) Try an alternate test kit, tester or take to LFS to verify your readings.

C) Increase your amount and frequency of water changes

In regards to your idea... Yes that's a good way to do it so you're putting as little of the "sludge" into your ATO as possible.

I think you might be able to make something from egg-crate to help hold your airline down but at the same time don't let it sit directly on the bottom as that's where "goop" collects.

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Fryman
Registered Member

Coralline growth can use a substantial amount of alk/CA, IME.

I don't think there's a problem w/ your planned setup. I basically just pump in new kalk & don't see a need to clean the topoff container very often (maybe once a year)

I recommend rigid tubing over airline. The airline will likely fail eventually, although it's relatively cheap so I guess you could just replace it.

Fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 03:22 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

Your plan sounds fine to me. I probably would just mix the Kalk in the ATO container, and make sure the pump input is a bit off the bottom, but I am lazy.