Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2014, 01:17 AM   #1
smartwater101
Registered Member

Smile 3D printed coral

I've been meaning to update my 90g reef build thread. Lots of photos and updates to come... but I wanted to share this part of the build.

I haven't properly calibrated my printer, so the print isn't perfect. There is SO much to tweak but overall I'm happy with how its working.

This attempt was a failure on so many levels. Though, as bad as the print was, it could have easily been cleaned up... BUT my laptop was set to sleep after 4 hours so it never finished. Ooops.

For the next test I did some tweaks to the model in C4d. ( I prefer maya for modeling but my laptop can't really handle it)

Replicator G

Setting up my 7D to take a timelapse. The print time for this was about 5 hours.

Both pieces could have used a bit more cleanup before painting. But overall I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

I used Fusion paint and Polyurethane clearcoat. As far as I understand, both are perfectly safe for a reef. ( I'm letting both dry for a week, before I put them in my 90g.)

hope you like!

Last edited by smartwater101; 02/14/2014 at 01:36 AM.
smartwater101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 05:59 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

wish mine would grow that fast!

nice application of a cool technology

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 06:40 AM   #3
calebkraft
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure my printer could never have printed that in a million years.

Current Tank Info: too many
calebkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Jeff000
Electrician

I so want a 3d printer. What one do you have? What other things have you printed?

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 07:52 AM   #5
LiquidShaneo
Reefer

Hey this is seriously awesome! Care to share the model file? FYI I actively blog over at Advanced Aquarist about 3D printing in the Saltwater Aquarium hobby. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/sear...&submit=Search I have three printers: an old Makerbot Cupcake #2950, a Prusa i3, and a Graber i3 (my own design).

LiquidShaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 06:50 PM   #6
smartwater101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff000 View Post
I so want a 3d printer. What one do you have? What other things have you printed?
This is a FlashForge. I've just been printing random stuff so far. I do design & animation for a living and have always wanted to print some of my 3D stuff. I also do custom video game controllers so I'm experimenting with various design changes.

@LiquidShaneo This is just a modification of a prebuilt model from turbosquid. But I'm working on a few from scratch so I'll probably upload my digitata model once I'm finished with it.

Unread 02/14/2014, 07:33 PM   #7
calebkraft
Registered Member

what a weird and small world!

I taught 3d modeling for a few years (3ds max 4 and up!). I ALSO do custom gaming controllers, though the few that I've done have been for people with special physical needs.

I'm being loose with my definitions though, I haven't worked in 3d animation in 10 years or so.

Current Tank Info: too many
calebkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2014, 08:19 PM   #8
smartwater101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebkraft View Post
what a weird and small world!

I taught 3d modeling for a few years (3ds max 4 and up!). I ALSO do custom gaming controllers, though the few that I've done have been for people with special physical needs.

I'm being loose with my definitions though, I haven't worked in 3d animation in 10 years or so.
Nice! I'll have to check out your stuff. Yeah I learned on c4d then used max for 4-5 years then moved to Maya for a year or so. Since most the work I do is in the motion graphics world, I'm back in c4d for the most part.

Unread 03/31/2014, 11:39 AM   #9
fmcarter3
Registered Member

That is awesome. I was just on reddit and I came across this 3D printed protein skimmer. check it out on the reddit post here: http://www.reddit.com/r/ReefTank/com...mmer_check_it/

fmcarter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2014, 12:27 PM   #10
karimwassef
Registered Member

What do you estimate the cost of setting up a system like that?
What's the material cost in the coral you printed?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3d printer, acropora, coral, diy build, montipora