Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2011, 11:28 AM   #26
srusso
Registered Member

Let's keep the Skimmer vs. Scrubber comments to a minimum as past threads show that this creates hostile posts. For this thread let's discuss the algae scrubber as a guild to building and maintaining them. Once the general public knows how to build/keep them and it becomes common knowledge. We can leave it to others threads to compare them.

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
srusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 12:02 PM   #27
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srusso View Post
This is incorrect, a screen lit on both sides that is 10x10 has a 100 gallon scrubber capacity.
It is not incorrect. I wasn't commenting on the "capacity" but on surface area. A screen that is 10"x10" does have 200 square inches of surface area if both sides are taken into account. You had it listed as being 100 square inches. I didn't mean anything by it, just thought you'd want to correct an inaccuracy.

Advice to new hobbyists: listen to people that have a tank you would like to have one day, not to those with a high post count.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon in-wall (build thread is my homepage).
frankpayne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 12:25 PM   #28
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpayne32 View Post
It is not incorrect. I wasn't commenting on the "capacity" but on surface area. A screen that is 10"x10" does have 200 square inches of surface area if both sides are taken into account. You had it listed as being 100 square inches. I didn't mean anything by it, just thought you'd want to correct an inaccuracy.
Oh! I see! Lol my apologies, let me see if I can get that corrected. Thanks

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
Unread 02/16/2011, 12:27 PM   #29
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

You are both right.

Frank, I understand what you're getting at because you are correct, a 10x10 screen lit on both sides as 200 sq in of surface area. That begin said, when you are sizing a screen for a system, the "1 sq in / gallon" rule means 1 square inch of screen illumined on both sides. So while technically it is 2 square inches, in ATS terminology it is 1 sq in.

It's just less confusing to say that you need a 10x10 screen for 100 gallons

EDIT:

It's good that you brought that up. If you wanted to get very technical about this process, you would say that you need 2 square inches of illuminated screen for every gallon of system water, and that a screen lit of both sides effectively doubles the filtering capacity of each square inch of screen material. Several people have been confused by that.

Also another point of occasional confusion is the GPH/inch of screen. With a screen that is 2 sided and 10 inches long, the measure to be taken is of the length of the screen, not the length of each side of the screen. So a 10" screen would need 350 GPH not 700, although 350 would be the minimum recommended flow.

You'd be surprised how much water can flow through that 1/8" slot that has a 1/16" thick screen inserted into it, leaving only 1/32' on each side.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729

Last edited by Floyd R Turbo; 02/16/2011 at 12:34 PM.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 12:31 PM   #30
Nova101
Registered Member

Quote:
Here are pictures of my setup, its a single pump system. Uses four 23w CFL bulbs and I commonly harvest 1 cup of algae.

A nice DIY setup. A question...

How is the top bar of the scrubber attached to your drain? What if you need to replace your PVC? Is the whole thing just suspended by your drain? Weight is not an issue?

Anything else you want to add? Something you might do differently?

Nova101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 12:44 PM   #31
frankpayne32
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh! I see! Lol my apologies, let me see if I can get that corrected. Thanks
No prob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
You are both right.

Frank, I understand what you're getting at because you are correct, a 10x10 screen lit on both sides as 200 sq in of surface area. That begin said, when you are sizing a screen for a system, the "1 sq in / gallon" rule means 1 square inch of screen illumined on both sides. So while technically it is 2 square inches, in ATS terminology it is 1 sq in.

It's just less confusing to say that you need a 10x10 screen for 100 gallons

EDIT:

It's good that you brought that up. If you wanted to get very technical about this process, you would say that you need 2 square inches of illuminated screen for every gallon of system water, and that a screen lit of both sides effectively doubles the filtering capacity of each square inch of screen material. Several people have been confused by that.
Yepp, that's all I was getting at.

Advice to new hobbyists: listen to people that have a tank you would like to have one day, not to those with a high post count.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon in-wall (build thread is my homepage).
frankpayne32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 12:46 PM   #32
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova101 View Post
A nice DIY setup. A question...

How is the top bar of the scrubber attached to your drain? What if you need to replace your PVC? Is the whole thing just suspended by your drain? Weight is not an issue?

Anything else you want to add? Something you might do differently?
The PVC does hold the screen, and it's never been an issue. The top bar has never been glued in, so it can be removed if needed.

The only thing I would have done differently is started with the additional lighting I added later on.

Unread 02/16/2011, 01:17 PM   #33
BluScrnOdeth
Darin Schmidt

Lets not forget to mention too that the size of the screen is not only depicted by the size of your tank but also with the quantity/size of the inhabitants inside it. Thats why even though my tank is 300g i made it to support 360. So as my fish population grows or whatever, i can be guaranteed that i have enough surface area to handle the job and to grow with the conditions of my tank.

BluScrnOdeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 01:19 PM   #34
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Glad it's been stickied, cant wait until I can contribute some pictures (although it's going to be a few months out...)

BTW, don't know if anyone has posted this, but the predecessor to this thread can be found here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1925996

It's got some great commentary starting on the second page, with PaulB etc.

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 01:39 PM   #35
salty joe
Registered Member

Floyd Turbo, that is a very nice scrubber you built.

What is the inside width?
You get 3D growth, right?
Is the aluminum angle heat sink all you need to keep your rig cool? No fans?
Really nice looking scrubber!

Unread 02/16/2011, 01:42 PM   #36
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Please let me also just reiterate this:

Quote:
Let's keep the Skimmer vs. Scrubber comments to a minimum as past threads show that this creates hostile posts. For this thread let's discuss the algae scrubber as a guild to building and maintaining them. Once the general public knows how to build/keep them and it becomes common knowledge. We can leave it to others threads to compare them.
You can certainly get a taste of the hostility toward ATS that is out there in the first page of the thread I linked to above. In the past there have been lots of threads that have taken a really bad turn for the worse because of this disagreement.

So yes, let's be sure to keep the "which is better" politics out of this thread.

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 02:02 PM   #37
usefulidiot213
Bryan H.

Great thread! With great info!
One thing I don't understand, is every time there is an algae scrubber thread, question or conversation there is a Skimmer vs. Scrubber brought up. What I don't understand is why you have to have one with out the other. I know some people want to eliminate their skimmers because it takes a lot of natural food from the water column. Aside from that why not run both? Me personally, I will always run a skimmer. However, I see no reason why I can't add an algae scrubber as well. It's only going to help export nutrients and grow pods.

Current Tank Info: 120 AGA- 4x2x2 Mixed Reef. 2 MP40s, Vertex IN-180 Skimmer, RKL Controller for temp control and light timing. 8x 54 Watt T5 lighting.
usefulidiot213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 02:07 PM   #38
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by widmer View Post
Glad it's been stickied, cant wait...
I did a my fair share of begging to get a subforum created for scrubbers, however the forum admins feel RC is segmented enough. So Larry promised me a sticky and here it is...
A real step in the right direction for algae scrubbers!

Unread 02/16/2011, 02:20 PM   #39
hvacman250
Registered Member

I have a skimmer vs. scrubber question...LOL

My scrubber is on day 3 with a skimmer running. Scrubber screen is white as a ghost. Scrubber site said I should see something by day 3.

Is the skimmer running preventing algae from growing on my screen? Or am I being impatient? It's like watching grass grow over here

Edit: my set-up again:

40 BR, ATS lit on ONE side, so I did 8" W x 12" long = 96 squareinches
2 26W CFLs in a dome reflector, 4-5" from surface = 52 W