Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2019, 01:23 PM   #1
Colossus67
Registered Member

Copperband is not feeling well

Hello everyone,

So I added some new fish to my new tank last week. By doing so, this started a mini cucle and got an ammonia spike up to 0.6ppm but mow under 0.1. I added Prime to try and reduce stress as much as possible the fishes. My Copperband has a small blck mass on his side fin as shown on pictured and 2 and 3 of them on the back fin as well. Any idea on what it is? He is eating frozen food so thats good...

All the other fishes are fine

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colossus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Colossus67
Registered Member

Does any one have a clue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 08/28/2019, 02:54 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It could be a mild case or an early stage of Lymphocystis if this is primarily on the edges of the fins.
Judging by the small round white spots in its clear parts of the fins it also seems that the fish has a light Cryptocaryon infection.

It would help to know the history of the fish and what your quarantine protocol is.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Colossus67
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
It could be a mild case or an early stage of Lymphocystis if this is primarily on the edges of the fins.
Judging by the small round white spots in its clear parts of the fins it also seems that the fish has a light Cryptocaryon infection.

It would help to know the history of the fish and what your quarantine protocol is.

Thank you for your prompt reply. The fish was introduced in my new tank last week. So he is fairly new. No quarantine was done from the LFS to my place. I do have a spare tank that I started 2 days ago on case I have to treat with meds. It is small thiugh, a 10 gallon cube tank. My tank started a mini cycle when I introduce the fishes last week with an amonia spike that surely didn’t help. He ests well though Mysis and Brine shrimps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 08/28/2019, 05:24 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Does the LFS use copper in their fish system? Lymphocystis often shows up after copper treatment or after the fish was stressed over a prolonged period of time, which is usually the case with newly captured fish. Both, copper and stress, compromise the immune system and therefore promote infections.
Lymphocystis is a virus infection and in most cases not lethal. Like a cold it will go away after a while on its own if the fish in kept in a stress free and healthy environment.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Colossus67
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Does the LFS use copper in their fish system? Lymphocystis often shows up after copper treatment or after the fish was stressed over a prolonged period of time, which is usually the case with newly captured fish. Both, copper and stress, compromise the immune system and therefore promote infections.

Lymphocystis is a virus infection and in most cases not lethal. Like a cold it will go away after a while on its own if the fish in kept in a stress free and healthy environment.

Looks like that indeed... thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk